PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• SOT2011
    SOT2011 Posts: 301 Forumite
    Thank you all for getting us started again.

Slightly over again last month, £253/£240, and that is the second time I have been a bit over, so please can you put me down for £240 again, third time lucky - not that luck has much to do with it, more like good planning and plenty of self restraint :)
    Debt Free since Nov 11 (ish) (except the £118000 mortgage :o) as at Jan 2013 but still hanging around DFW as I need to Stay On Track.

"My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did'." Phil McGraw
  • Fisyear
    Fisyear Posts: 59 Forumite
    Hi I would love to join this challenge, can you put me down for £250 for May. Thanks
    May Grocery Challenge - £280.26/£250 (includes all food, toiletries and takeaway's for a family of four)
  • jovi20
    jovi20 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Hi again,

Can you please put me down for £350 for May,

Thanks,

jovi20
    :T 2015 TARGETS :T
    Weight loss 12.5/112lb 18th feb -4.5lb, 25th feb -2.5lb, 4th mar -2.5, 11th Mar -3,

Savings £100 per month £300 /£1200
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello All, :wave:

Thanks Pink, :A MrsMcCawber :A and Rosieben :A for our lovely new May GC thread.

Welcome to any newbies joining us :hello: and please try to quote your budget amount in red text preferably enlarged too. (Use the drop down menu under the A immediately above the text box to change colour and the drop down menu next to the 2 immediately above to change the size. :D)
    susan946 wrote: »
    ... May I join in please? I should like to aim for £350 for May.

One of my problems is that, ..., 'im indoors' sometimes escapes and takes himself off to Mr T without asking permission. He then comes home with bargains (genuine ones) he has found but that I hadn't budgeted for. Don't mind this toooo much - it's the occasional 'I just fancied somes' that I find it harder to deal with......need to get him more involved I guess!! ...

Welcome Susan, this made me laugh out loud!!! Although we're not retired my "'im indoors" has a distinct tendency to act in the same manner as yours! :rotfl: You've come to the right place to get support, inspiration and great ideas. And getting the OH involved is certainly a very good point to start with too. Good luck and please ask any and as many questions as you like, someone will have an answer. ;)
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    ... We were supposedly attending a wedding party yesterday, except that when we got there at 2pm with our plates of cakes, nobody else had made any food..... The upshot was that at 7pm I ended up going home and raiding the (never empty) freezer for enough junk to feed 7 children while there parents sat around. One lady (who said she was having a BBQ at home then turned up without bringing any food) asked me when the next door neighbour was bringing the BBQ food over. My reply was that as we hadn't paid for any of it, sharing it was unlikely - the reply "oh I thought you'd gone halves with the food". ...

I wouldn't be cross Cranky, I'd be apoplectic! :mad::eek::mad: What a very rude and ungrateful lot. I hope they eventually value the fantastic person you obviously are :Ato make sure their kids get some food inside them. Oooooh, it makes me really mad :mad: but good on you for not letting emotion get the better of you.

Good luck everyone with the new Challenge - may your resolve be strong, your lists be thorough and your purse jammed shut! :p

We're off up to town shortly so I'll update the sig with the first spends of May then.

Take care all
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • cranky40 - some people are very strange is all I can say! Fancy going to a party empty handed & then not even thanking you for feeding THEIR kids!

Well I spent more than what I thought I would today! (Nothing new there really!) I have been to Mr T, Sainsburys, Home Bargains, Farm Foods & the market. However I do now feel "exceeeedingly" well stocked & in theory should only need to get f & v, milk, bread & maybe some cakes or biscuits for the rest of the month. Of course, the "in theory" has never mattered one jot before so not getting too cocky yet. We are after all, still in the month of April!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can I please be put down for £130 for May?
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ok, we've just got back in and we spent £19.04 between the butcher, grocer and s*perdr*g. Sig is now fully up to date.

I got myself a nice bottle of zinfandel wine so after watering the garden I'm gonna sit down with that and Dr Who before my friends arrive for the evening.

Have a great Satuday night and enjoy the rest of the bank holiday weekend. If this weather holds I may not get back on here until Tuesday! :cool:

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Evening all

Just popped in to say that Lidl by me have Branston Baked beans for £1 for a pack of 4 tins. I noticed the advert in our evening paper and OH dashed off to get some. The offer is only on today and tomorrow!

May need to make a return visit......

Have a good evening.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    Added up my receipts from last week when my May started and spent £85.77 already.

Went into lidal today for picnic stuff and spent £12.88.

Not been in lidal for ages, as an Aldi has opened nearer to home, think it has got expensive
    . Plan is to keep out of shops and have as many NSD as poss!
  • sparkle76
    sparkle76 Posts: 617 Forumite
    Hi all,
    I would like to join for May please, can we be put down for £160 for the 2 of us plus our hungry cat...

I find it hard to shop less in hotter months though as there's less chance to batch cook - any suggestions?
    :):):)
    Little Sweetpea born 12th July 2011
    :):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills