PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fist shop of May done and it came to $34.46
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did my first May shop and I bought much more than I had intended, although whoopsied meals for five days included. And that's me trying to clear out the freezer. At least I managed not to buy cake or rhubarb, etc. at the car boot sale this morning. I have to keep reminding myself than my own strawberries will be ready soon.

I made some pilau rice the other night which I reckon would cost about 40p per portion. It made all the difference to a delicious whoopsied chicken bhuna. I managed to put four portions in the freezer which will do for another time. I think part of the success of the grocery challenge is to plan to cook from scratch on those days that you have time and always have something in reserve which can be cooked straight from the freezer just in case you get delayed/too tired, etc. And don't beat yourself around the head if things don't go entirely according to plan. That, after all would be quite boring and predictable.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £26 spend today on 120 tins of coke, ok now i know this seems crazy but it was on offer at 24tins for £6 and i had a £4 off £30 spend voucher aswell and with the good weather we will use it for picnics and BBQ's, and i wouldn't have used the £4 off voucher otherwise as all i need to buy this week is milk and bananas, i put most of the tins in the garage so we won't drink them because we'll have to go get them, but 12 are in the house because oh isn't feeling well so they'll be good for him will update my sig in abit, nsd tomorrow and free tea because it's fil birthday altho i do have my bro's for lunch, was away at a BBQ today so other than the coke (which i planned to buy and only bought so an achievement :D ) we had no other spends
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • GroinSexyPavement
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »
    £26 spend today on 120 tins of coke, ok now i know this seems crazy but it was on offer at 24tins for £6 and i had a £4 off £30 spend voucher aswell and with the good weather we will use it for picnics and BBQ's, and i wouldn't have used the £4 off voucher otherwise as all i need to buy this week is milk and bananas, i put most of the tins in the garage so we won't drink them because we'll have to go get them, but 12 are in the house because oh isn't feeling well so they'll be good for him will update my sig in abit, nsd tomorrow and free tea because it's fil birthday altho i do have my bro's for lunch, was away at a BBQ today so other than the coke (which i planned to buy and only bought so an achievement :D ) we had no other spends

Was that 'real' coke or an own brand? Me and OH are addicted to the stuff and that sounds like an amazing deal if it was branded.
    MayGC:£118/£360 April:£283
    CrazyClothesChallenge:£117
    Piggybank:£1,850
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    Options
    Was that 'real' coke or an own brand? Me and OH are addicted to the stuff and that sounds like an amazing deal if it was branded.

yeah it was real coke, it was 2 for £6 of the 12packs but i'm pretty sure it's n.i only but it might be wirth checking it was te$co
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • GroinSexyPavement
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »
    yeah it was real coke, it was 2 for £6 of the 12packs but i'm pretty sure it's n.i only but it might be wirth checking it was te$co

Ah ok, will take a look next time I'm nearby one anyway, thanks :)
    MayGC:£118/£360 April:£283
    CrazyClothesChallenge:£117
    Piggybank:£1,850
  • huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Pleased to report that today was a nsd :D just had to be a little creative on the pudding today, made a smaller cake for afternoon tea and used some of the sponged mix to make half a dozen fairy cakes to put on top of the last of the stewed blackberries for pudding with custard. I will need to get some baking ingredients tomorrow but may send one of the kids with the money and list so I don't get tempted. A friend that had been running a stall at an event today has just dropped off sausages, bacon and rolls she didn't use :j so that is a big bonus.
  • Rebekah24
    Rebekah24 Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    OH got me some bits, and I got some shopping too.. so some spending occured..more than I wanted!!

Got myself for this week

2 bottles of cider
    Eggs - free from MIL
    Lollies
    Soda water
    Sugar free energy drinks

I spent £8 ...already a big whack out of my grocery spend but that should last me a good couple of weeks! I cant eat much right now, so mostly just fluids and the odd mouthfulls of scrambled eggs. OH sorted his shopping so thats a weight off my shoulders not to have to manage that as well!!

Shall try for a nsd tomoro!
    :)
    OU Law student
    May Grocery challenge
    £30/ £11
  • kerrypn
    kerrypn Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Options
    Please can I join? £200 this month I hope! Spent £2.07 today
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join this month? I just checked all our incoming and outgoing for this month and it's dire! So I've made a list of store cupboard ingredients and will try and use them as much as possible.
    I'd like to set a target for 200 euros please
    Trying to keep in budget.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family