My savings diary

Comments

• I am a full time student of BA-Hons and a part time employment at local cafe. I have been working for last two years and my savings grew handsomely in last couple of years but they have slowed down by this year due to my new habits of drinking and smoking, they have really pushed me back hard. Still I have managed to save 5 grads sterling....:)
  • LaLa_22
    LaLa_22 Posts: 12 Forumite
    This savings diary was great to read as you are in a similar situation as me with the income/outcome figures! I am also studying again but part time.

Seems like a long road ahead untill I actually have savings but your diary has motivated me!!

Good luck

x
    Saving plan #1 : CAR
    £300/ £4850
    :o
  • alexpete80 wrote: »
    I am a full time student of BA-Hons and a part time employment at local cafe. I have been working for last two years and my savings grew handsomely in last couple of years but they have slowed down by this year due to my new habits of drinking and smoking, they have really pushed me back hard. Still I have managed to save 5 grads sterling....:)

The odd drink with friends shouldn't really be problem if you budget for it. You should definitely give up smoking though - not good for your health or your wealth. Your Dr/nurse should be able to help.
  • LaLa_22 wrote: »
    This savings diary was great to read as you are in a similar situation as me with the income/outcome figures! I am also studying again but part time.

Seems like a long road ahead untill I actually have savings but your diary has motivated me!!

Good luck

x

Thank you, and you too.

The savings that I have have taken me a long time to get and the amount that I have been/am able to save each week/month has varied over the years as my income goes up and down - but so long as they are heading in the right direction I feel confidant that one day, when circumstances allow, I'll be in a good position to proceed in buying a home with a good deposit.

Staying focused over the long term can be tough though - so don't leave yourself too short each month not to enjoy the journey.
  • Monthly update for me:

Xmas 2012 target: £4,500

Long term goal: £22,500

Still a long way off and my Xmas savings target is looking less and less achievable - I may amend this, but I'll wait until the end of the month and make a reassessment then.

On a positive note my contract has been extended by a further 2 months, so a little bit more time to look for something permanent/more longer term.

D9
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In case it is helpful, I had a look at the budget you posted earlier - there are further savings you can make fairly painlessly. £25 for phone and internet seems high. You can can get broadband for £6.50 from plusnet, and if you pay a year in advance you should be able to get line rental for less than £10 a month. If you use an over-ride provider for the calls, then the total (BB and phone) should be no more than £18 per month.

And this doesn't include any special offers you might get when you transfer (half price for 6 months etc)

You can save on your mobile bills if you switch to Ovivio - free calls, texts and data.

If you get books from the library, you don't need to buy them from Amazon. Libraries are great - you can reserve the books you want online and also renew them online.
  • £49,950 pounds to go, lol.
    Cash Builder, Debit, Basic Account, Pension - Aim: £20k, Home 1 - Aim: £220k - BTL - Ultimate, £10k - Shared Own, £90k - BTL, Personal Savings -Aim: £10k, Redundancy - Aim: £10k Online Savings - Courses and University Fees' Aim - £10k, Instant Savings 2 - Aim - £2k - Personal Savings 2. Cash: Aim - £10k
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 3 September 2012 at 12:03AM
    Herongull wrote: »
    In case it is helpful, I had a look at the budget you posted earlier - there are further savings you can make fairly painlessly. £25 for phone and internet seems high. You can can get broadband for £6.50 from plusnet, and if you pay a year in advance you should be able to get line rental for less than £10 a month. If you use an over-ride provider for the calls, then the total (BB and phone) should be no more than £18 per month.

I know cheaper can be found - but this package includes free international calls - and both me and my partner have a lot of friends and family who have moved abroad (mainly for work), and although we *could* use skype for these calls, we generally weren't when we were with a different suplier, and it was costing a fortune. This way it's all included and all budgeted for, so it suits.

And this doesn't include any special offers you might get when you transfer (half price for 6 months etc)

You can save on your mobile bills if you switch to Ovivio - free calls, texts and data.

I think I've over estimated what I spend here, I've not added any credit for 6 months - due to a combination of getting free credit for recommending my OH, but also very rarely use it! (only use calls and texts as well - data would be wasted on me! and my (archaic) phone

If you get books from the library, you don't need to buy them from Amazon. Libraries are great - you can reserve the books you want online and also renew them online.

Thanks for the advice
  • Well, a monthly update from me...

After some figure juggling, monthly additions, and re-assessment of what I need/think I'll need:

Xmas 2012 target: £3,000

Long term goal: £15,500

It's all lower (and more realistic) - but I'll re-assess when I get there!

D9
  • Just a wee monthly update for me. I started to slip a bit with the packed lunches and taking the bus rather than walking to work, but I think I have that sorted now! I have a freezer full of lunch portions of various soup, pasta and sauces, rice and veg mixes, and home made pizza slices (so very prepared now), and no change in my purse, so I have to walk to work! hahahaha!

Xmas 2012 target: £2,225

Long term goal: £14,725 (yeah, I've made it under the £15,000)

D9
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport