Guide to house extension costs

Options

Comments

• hungryhamster
    Options
    Hi

thinking of converting our kitchen, its a tiny square one at the minute, its something like 3m x 3m (ish) and were hoping of making it a longer kitchen (extra 2m) and wondered if anyone knew what the approx cost might be of it (before installing the new kitchen is fine as they can be shopped around for and dont necessarily cost a lot do they) was thinking, extension, electrics, gas and water (plastering and a floor base)

just trying to work out if its too pricey for a 2 bed terrace in east lancashire and whether we should just put up with what weve got.

Thanks
  • AjaxBuilders
    Options
    tillson wrote: »
    I have had six quotes for my single storey 4.3 x 3.4 metre house extension. Nothing complicated and straight forward. The cheapest works out at £2285 per square metre the most expensive is £3800 per square metre. This is just for a plastered shell with electrical / drainage and water services installed but no fittings.

I find this quite depressing as everyone keep saying that £1000 to £1500 is about the going rate. I have put a lot of work into writing a detailed specification and having plans drawn up so that I am absolutely clear about what is required. It annoys me to see these property develeper type programmes on TV where they practically rebuild a wreck of a house for about 30K and very often this includes a sizeable extension to the house as well.

Maybe I have been very unlucky and have just happened to have chosen the six most expensive builders in the world.

I really can't bring myself to going ahead at these rates because unless anyone can tell me different, it would appear that I am being ripped off.

I don't think I live in a particularly expensive part of the country (Derbyshire). If anyone can recommend a builder(s) for my 7th and 8th quotes, I don't mind being PM'd

HI

I am builder and know from good source that some refurbishment from TV programes was partially paid by tv producers this is only reason costs are so little in tv. Its good for economy as more peoples are doing building works but in many ocasions they end up with huge loans rather than a profits
  • Alpha58
    Alpha58 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    If you go to https://www.rics.org/Global/Downloads/ExtendingYourHome.pdf‎ this is a useful rule of thumb guide but this will obviously vary on where you are. Bear in mind a couple of things:

1. You aren't obliged to use local authority building inspectors: you can use your own provided a) they are properly qualified, b) council registered and c) you need to obtain council permission to do it this way (although they need a good reason to refuse). The obvious benefit is that they are working for you and are less likely to nit-pick over petty things - but they will do a proper job of inspecting - to do otherwise is just foolish.

2. Look at having a builder to quote for the work and make a separate arrangement with a builder's merchant. I am half way through a big extension and our local branch of a builder's merchant gave us the "new build" rate as we are using a lot of materials. If you have a contact person they will also come out and often have very good advice and ideas.

3. Choose a builder based on recommendation - these pages are full of horror stories about dodgy builders. We have been massively fortunate with ours but they were recommended and we went to look at some of their work (both finished and in progress) before we started.

Good luck!
  • plazydays wrote: »
    You are all getting it wrong. If you want a low cost build but not cut on the quality, then look to your local polish group. I know what some of you are thinking but I am being serious. A freind of mine just had some work down for a porch and compared to mine last year, he got the 'Mutt's Nut's'.
    Excellent plaster work, excellent brink work with clear crisp corners and for a fraction of the cost I paid.
    And 'Yes' they were all legal. It's just a thought, but if they can do it for a lower cost, why can't our builders????

Yes this is a great idea not! , lets give all the work to overseas like everthing else. i know this is a old post but come on they send all there money home and out of the country.We need to look after our own economy! Anyhow £1200 per sq m is about right but all jobs are different plus vodka and tonic!!
  • jonestfn
    Options
    Hi,

It was also very important question for me. I found several price comparison websites, filled a form and got several proposals. Maybe it will be helpful for you too. Here i one of the page mypro24.co.uk
  • ruben93watson
    Options
    [FONT=Liberation Serif, Times New Roman, serif]It will be better if you take quotes from some of them and then decide. We had an extension built last year and it charged £11K all in. Speak to professionals and research well before spending.[/FONT]
  • AmateurExpert
    Options
    [FONT=Liberation Serif, Times New Roman, serif]It will be better if you take quotes from some of them and then decide. We had an extension built last year and it charged £11K all in. Speak to professionals and research well before spending.[/FONT]

Just out of interest, but what part of the country were you based in and could you provide a few details about the extension please?

Interested in finding out how far £11k might go!
  • Andrew2010
    Andrew2010 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    We want to get a second wc at the rear of our semi-detached house. we've been told that since the boiler is on the back wall it would have to be moved. We'd like it made of bricks and to be accessible via the rear door. A sloping, tiled roof woudl be best. We've been told to expect £45K quotes. Is this realistic?
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Andrew2010 wrote: »
    We want to get a second wc at the rear of our semi-detached house. we've been told that since the boiler is on the back wall it would have to be moved. We'd like it made of bricks and to be accessible via the rear door. A sloping, tiled roof woudl be best. We've been told to expect £45K quotes. Is this realistic?

£45K for a second WC seems beyond excessive to me, unless the wc is going to be hand made and gold platted.

Obviously I don't know the full scope of work required other than building the extra space and relocating the boiler but my suggestion would be to get a few builders in to discuss the work and get quotes from them.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Andrew2010
    Andrew2010 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    It can't be more than 12sq metres at most although i was told they'd need to make foundations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure