Options
    All i can say is like a farmer you,ll never see a poor builder
  • peterdee_2
    peterdee_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 24 January 2010 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Very roughly £1000/m2

To try to be a bit more accurate:

The cost of your small extension is likely to be around 15-20k for a basic build, but this will vary depending on your chosen finished interior - a high-end kitchen fitout could easily double this! There is some more info on extension costs here:

http://www.architectureforlondon.co.uk/house-extension-cost.html

Its definitely worth getting some initial quotes from local builders - you can find FMB (federation of master builders) registered companies here:

http://www.fmb.org.uk/

All FMB builders have to abide by certain standards and codes to retain their membership, so you have more guarantees of a professional service. I think they also have to carry insurance to be members too
  • plazydays_2
    Options
    You are all getting it wrong. If you want a low cost build but not cut on the quality, then look to your local polish group. I know what some of you are thinking but I am being serious. A freind of mine just had some work down for a porch and compared to mine last year, he got the 'Mutt's Nut's'.
    Excellent plaster work, excellent brink work with clear crisp corners and for a fraction of the cost I paid.
    And 'Yes' they were all legal. It's just a thought, but if they can do it for a lower cost, why can't our builders????
  • bluemaiden123
    Options
    Hi I too am hoping to build a 2 storey extension onto the side of my house. I read somewhere that if it is a side extension made of same material you don't always need planning permission? Anyone no if this is true because as far as I was aware you needed planning permission for ANY extension?

It will be roughly 4m x 3m, bottom garage and above bedroom. There's no drainage or anything to move so I'm hoping it should be a pretty straight forward project. I know people to do the plastering, electrics, plumbing and windows etc. so anyone have a rough idea of how much it will cost for basic shell? i.e. foundations, brick work, roof etc. I am in Durham, Northeast.
    DMP start date Sept 2011 - 10,150
    DFD - August 2014 :j
  • Louie99
    Louie99 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Not all extensions require planning permission; the rules of what qualifies as 'permitted development' changed about 18 months ago and you can now do much more without needing planning, it now depends a lot on distances between the planned extension and boundaries with neighbouring properties, as well as materials, whether you are in a conservation area etc

The government has a good website called the planningportal.gov which has an interactive guide for householders on the new rules http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/tools/house/
    Comps wins 2009: Take That concert tickets, WRC Tickets

hope to win 2010: cash, holiday, tv :j
  • raybould
    Options
    hi can anyone give me an idea on the coct of a single story extention on my barn conversion.. with a pitched roof.. dims are 5m x 4m . i only want the shell and floors..
  • kelephonica
    Options
    SixMile wrote: »
    Hey mate, fellow N Irishman here! I'm also looking to put an extension onto my house, starting within next year. Already have a downstairs extension, simply looking to mimic the extension with another floor! If you're looking a joiner for the project I know of 2 professionals, whom I've used for various things and I know they'd do a good job if you're interested. Both county Antrim. Sure drop me a pm if interested. Also keep me updated on progress ie architects drawings, planning service etc if you'd be so kind!

Hi SixMile. I'm also in Northern Ireland and thinking about converting my sinlge storey extension to a double. It's a small terraced house with a 3X2 m kitchen added on the back which I want to mimic on the top floor so I can move my bathroom upstairs. (It's currently cutting off half my living room! Told you it was small)

I was wondering if it's ok to do this as I'd read that the foundations might not be suitable if they were only for a single storey build originally so that made me think I'd end up starting from scratch. Can you let me know what you know about this and how you're getting on with your plans. Cheers!
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    reported for SPAM
  • mcchell
    mcchell Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    We are looking at moving to a new house.

The house we have found will require complete renovation including rewire, central heating, kitchen bathroom etc etc

We also want to put a large 2 story extension on it. Approx 9m x 5m

The total size of the house after the extension will be approx 10m x 9m. This is the area that will need all electrics, heating finishing completing.

Does anyone have a rough idea of prices?
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    somewhere between £50k and £200k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts