Guide to house extension costs

Options

Comments

• never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with Doozer girl that some of the figures quoted on these programmes are just rubbish. They also often have teams of bods to draft in to do work & I bet they're not getting standard rates.
    If you've had lots of quotes coming in at roughly similar prices then that's what builders are likely getting in your area. Obviously they could be trying it on, or maybe they're so busy they just don't want the work, but if that's what other people are paying then you'll need to too. There are lots of ways of saving money on fixtures & fittings, so maybe you can save some money there? I guess you need to weigh the costs of an extension against those of moving, to decide how much it's really worth to you.
  • katepnlo
    katepnlo Posts: 391 Forumite
    Options
    Any idea what the cost is down in south east, I am not far from Dover.

Still trying to figure out if we should extend or move..worrying a bit about price now!!
    kate
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    katepnlo wrote: »
    Any idea what the cost is down in south east, I am not far from Dover.

Still trying to figure out if we should extend or move..worrying a bit about price now!!
    kate

The price down here in East Kent varies dramatically...you could get the trades in for quotes but if you don't have planning/plans for your extension you might get a a bit of a rep as a timewaster (my OH can usually get the lowdown from other trades about these types but unfortunately one or two slip through the screening process eg. in a local plumbers' merchant in the spring he heard about one property owner in Margate who had at least 14 plumbers in to look at a project and give a free quotation...the property remains empty and untouched and the owner on the carp list. Up here everyone seems to be very busy....long waiting times for clients at the moment;)

To the OP: the OH and I find the property !!!!!! e.g. Homes under the Hammer great for a laugh but these shows,as said previously, do give people inaccurate info about renovation/extension costs and the skills/registration/compliance required to complete works to a high (and more marketable) standard.

Good luck.

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • level200
    Options
    Very roughly £1000/m2

How can they charge per squared meter as an extension is in effect a shell, surely the squared meterage does not include the empty space?
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    its just a rule of thumb guide. a 3 walled extension with a flat roof will contain so many sq metres. hence for a 4x4 m extension the guide cost will be about 16k.

this is just for an empty shell with floor/roof/PB walls and ready for painting.
    any fancy bathrooms etc will add to that cost.
    Get some gorm.
  • talkinpeace
    Options
    My extension (two storey side, one and two storey rear, loft conversion, steels everywhere) came in at £1550 / sqm all in
    so from building to painted, carpeted, tiled and finished
    I saved money by getting subbies in individually
    Counting the beans : £1
    Knowing which beans to count : £99
  • Stevie1
    Stevie1 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've been getting quotes for our extention recently. Have had so far, about 6 or 7 and the price differences are HUGE. About £25K between the cheapest and most expensive.

Not only that, we get the feeling that builders are bracing themselves for tough times (or perhaps, taking the mickey), because we have been quoted very high prices for a very basic building shell (we have own trusted tradesmen; plasterer, electrician etc). So much so, we are thinking of getting it all done by separate tradesmen.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are looking at extension plans right now and have been getting some wild estimates just for the structural work. Need to get the plans finalised and then see what we can do ourselves as we are on a tight budget.
  • scwarlem
    Options
    Hi folks, has anyone got an idea on the average costs of a two storey extension? So far there have been suggestions for what i take to be a single storey, ranging from £1000 upwards. Does anyone know if this is true for the second storey, or is there a second, separate estimate. :confused:
    I live in Northern Ireland, so if anyone has any ideas of any builders that would be appreciated. I already have an extremely good plumber (pm if interested), and he has said he can get me a tiler. But i need the other construction boyos.
    The extension will hopefully make a larger kitchen, downstairs toilet; a third bedroom and bigger bathroom upstairs. And, depending on costs, may get an attic conversion.
    Havn't applied for anything yet, but hopefully there should be no problems with planning as my neighbours (semi) got an extension done last year, albeit a single storey.
    Dont suppose anyone has an idea about asbestos tiles? Will have to retile during renovation work.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.:j
  • SixMile
    SixMile Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    scwarlem wrote: »
    Hi folks, has anyone got an idea on the average costs of a two storey extension? So far there have been suggestions for what i take to be a single storey, ranging from £1000 upwards. Does anyone know if this is true for the second storey, or is there a second, separate estimate. :confused:
    I live in Northern Ireland, so if anyone has any ideas of any builders that would be appreciated. I already have an extremely good plumber (pm if interested), and he has said he can get me a tiler. But i need the other construction boyos.
    The extension will hopefully make a larger kitchen, downstairs toilet; a third bedroom and bigger bathroom upstairs. And, depending on costs, may get an attic conversion.
    Havn't applied for anything yet, but hopefully there should be no problems with planning as my neighbours (semi) got an extension done last year, albeit a single storey.
    Dont suppose anyone has an idea about asbestos tiles? Will have to retile during renovation work.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give.:j

Hey mate, fellow N Irishman here! I'm also looking to put an extension onto my house, starting within next year. Already have a downstairs extension, simply looking to mimic the extension with another floor! If you're looking a joiner for the project I know of 2 professionals, whom I've used for various things and I know they'd do a good job if you're interested. Both county Antrim. Sure drop me a pm if interested. Also keep me updated on progress ie architects drawings, planning service etc if you'd be so kind!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure