Guide to house extension costs

Options

Comments

• Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi devmcc did you see my reply to your last post re plans ?
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • Pauls
    Pauls Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    We're currently in the final stages of a 4*5m two storey build. Our builder stated 25k labour, and approximatley 10k for materials to put the thing up (we arranged our own electrician, plumber and kitchen/bathroom fitter who each charged individually)

electrician was around £2k, we had a new fuse box and loads of switches/sockets etc. He also had to re-site/remove loads of stuff too.

Plumber wanted around £2k, (had a bolier re-positioned, and a few rads installed) We've since found he's trying to rip us off, as yet he's had £1.5k and he's getting no more. He didn't do the job properly and left us with 3 separate problems with our boiler, and he caused all of them.:mad:

Kitchen/Bathroom installer is costing around £5k, he's done a 2*1m shower room (previously part of a bedroom) a 4*5m kitchen, and a 2.5*2m bathroom. He's done all of the final fix plumbing, built & hung cabinets, tiled the floors, half tiled the bathroom & shower room, tiled the kitchen, and installed a new soil stack outside.

All in all we were looking at £45k (though it's far to easy to ask for them to do other bits why there around (new patio laid, new 30ft block wall, new loft hatch/ladder etc etc which all add to the cost :o )

HTH
  • karel.develop
    Options
    just had an architect round & he's advised that we'll be looking at £1300.00 per m2 for the ground floor.. ? that doesnt include internal fittings, drawings etc. can this be right? the architect is not the one pricing the project - but he says these are the rates we can expect to pay.. it just seems crazy for a couple of walls & a basic roof.
  • tillson
    tillson Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I have had six quotes for my single storey 4.3 x 3.4 metre house extension. Nothing complicated and straight forward. The cheapest works out at £2285 per square metre the most expensive is £3800 per square metre. This is just for a plastered shell with electrical / drainage and water services installed but no fittings.

I find this quite depressing as everyone keep saying that £1000 to £1500 is about the going rate. I have put a lot of work into writing a detailed specification and having plans drawn up so that I am absolutely clear about what is required. It annoys me to see these property develeper type programmes on TV where they practically rebuild a wreck of a house for about 30K and very often this includes a sizeable extension to the house as well.

Maybe I have been very unlucky and have just happened to have chosen the six most expensive builders in the world.

I really can't bring myself to going ahead at these rates because unless anyone can tell me different, it would appear that I am being ripped off.

I don't think I live in a particularly expensive part of the country (Derbyshire). If anyone can recommend a builder(s) for my 7th and 8th quotes, I don't mind being PM'd
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Property programmes are full of rubbish with regard to the actual costs because many of the people lie about how much stuff costs to make them look better. The people on programmes like homes under the hammer just make it up! that really is a pile of tosh.

Admittedly, I'm a developer and don't even pay anywhere near £1000 including fittings but £3800 should get you something totally state of the art including fittings!!

I don't think Derbyshire should be expensive - the Midlands is pretty cheap compared to almost everywhere. I could send my H from here to project manage for you and pull it in at something more realistic! :rolleyes:

Out of interest, to save me doing the maths, what were the prices of the actual quotes?

EDIT: I couldn't wait - between £33,000 and £50,000?!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tillson wrote: »
    .....I don't think I live in a particularly expensive part of the country (Derbyshire)....
    Unfortunately, you might be in an "expensive part". Some parts are upmarket commuter land for Sheffield, you'd hardly call Buxton "cheap" too. I would also consider the following points:
    Planning may require you to have stone where brick would be normal elsewhere in the country. In fact most of the north of Derbyshire that I'm familiar with, I would say is stone not brick.
    You may live somewhere "out of the way". Making it a PIA to get to for the builder and to deliver materials to.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • Will_it_make_me_rich
    Options
    Our extension should be finished this week, its taken a little longer than expected but I can't complain too much as it was a good price.
    The only thing for us to do now is tile the kitchen and paint through out.

I also live in south derbyshire, Tillson where abouts are you in derby?
    If you want I could give you the details of our builder.
    Who have you had quotes from?
  • tillson
    tillson Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Will_it_make_me_rich. I live to the North East of Derby in West Hallam. I don't know if that is close enough to you for any of your builders to be interested. If you are within range, I would be gratefull for any building company suggestions.

vbmenu_register("postmenu_6506947", true);
  • Will_it_make_me_rich
    Options
    I would be gratefull for any building company suggestions

Check your private messagers.
  • Leigh-Anne_60
    Options
    I live in devon and have just finished (all but) my extension - 24k, its approx 5m x 4m - This includes the fitting of a new kitchen(not provision of) re-used UPVC doors/windows. 2 new walls only as used party wall and existing house wall

When i got my quotes in - they ranged from 31k to 45k, way beyond my budget. So opted for 'a friend of a friend' at 25K....... A long story for another thread but im now taking him to court.

In my experience you get what you pay for - I opted for the cheapest and got the builder from hell (well maybe not that bad - the extension is still standing:o ) But please check out their previous work.

Also when you price up include additional extras, paint new curtains, new flooring etc - i would estimate that this added on about 2k to our cost.

Also cost of architect, planning and buidlings regs - this was around another 3.5k

So a bit of change from 30k.........From an initial overall budget of 20k:eek:

Cheers

LA

PS - If any of you are in Plymouth and want to know what builders NOT to use, drop me a PM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure