PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :( I have ironing. Admittedly, not it's not an ironing Matterhorn or even a Scafell Pike, more like a molehill; 3 blouses for work and 3 hankies.

:) Trouble is, I am ironing-adverse and due to the ridiculously small flat I live in, the ironing board had to be set up half in the hall (which is massive 75cm wide) and half thru the sitting-room doorway. Sigh. I know it'll only take a few mins but it really is a drag. I need some different clothes as I'm bored with ironing these ones.

;) To all the ladies who clean for cash (have done myself and it's blimmin' hard work) I don't blame you in the slightest for needing to kick back and relax once home. My Nan, who was a woman-wot-does for the same family for 2 generations, reckons that other people's housework is always more interesting than your own.

Still, if I don't iron the blessed things this morning they'll dry like cardboard and be much worse this afternoon. Reminds me of my other grandmother, the one who's passed away. She always said; "Lazy people take the most pains!" I think the context was that you make more work for yourself by not doing it properly/ promptly the first chance you had.

:D She's right. And I'm still a lazy female bovine....I blame MSE for keeping me online when I could be cleaning......:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    My Nan, who was a woman-wot-does for the same family for 2 generations, reckons that other people's housework is always more interesting than your own.

Sometimes I imagine that I'm in a friend's house when I'm trying to clean up -it always seems so much easier:o:D
    Morning Messies Inc:hello:
    Have a lovely meal BB ( what's in the salt gold dust or diamond chips???)
    Today's mission is to clear infront of my little freezer:cool: mission impossible or what!
    Get back later -take care and good luck with your day's task/ordeal/trial/labour or just enjoy the sunshine :j
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • Buddingblonde
    Options
    That doesnt sound like a lot of ironing but hankies?!?!?!? Fold them and do a one press if you have to iron them!
  • Buddingblonde
    Options
    Purple - I wish it had gold and diamonds in it. This will sound bad but OH and I have been through the menu to see what we can eat as cheaply as we can so that if his mum and step dad do go for steak then we can afford it. The worst thing is... and Im confessing a lot here.... I have told him that if we dont have a dessert when we are there I will make us a home made apple pie with vanilla carte dor icecream for pudding when we get home!!!! I truly begrudge spening the money when I am out of a job at the end of June but OHs family are funny about money and love (the amount you love someone is displayed in how much you spend!). His mum was huffy with us as I told her we were only buying pressies for the children in the family for Xmas, there is nothing that they would have needed or wanted. A meal makes more sense but when we told us where they wanted to go I nearly died a death. And it is her birthday next month!!!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Oh, this thread is a good motivator. I have done the 3 blouses and found it was only 2 hankies after all (which only have a speedy kiss of hot steel BB, don't fret). The rest of the washload is stuff which doesn't get ironed like jammies, knicks and knit tops which look none the worse for being neglected.

:o I have had the same iron for 24 years....I don't give it too much to do, nor do I ever put water in it, although it is a steam iron. Water ruins them. Mum thought I was bonkers but she went thru irons like they were going out of fashion then decided to follow me and my Nan on the no-water route and all has been well and she hasn't trashed an iron since. If things get too dry she gives them a wee spritz from one of those spray bottles you get for plants.

:D I have heard of people who iron towels and underwear. Can't say I have personally known any as we'd obviously have nothing in common and they'd be too busy ironing to come out and play.

Ahhh, another pot of tea then I must go to the shops........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    Oooooohhhhhh! Don't worry BB ;) (easier said than done I know! sorry about the job in June) some people really are unthinking about how the amount spent = how much they care! load of ???//***
    You will have to vent your spleen on here and then smile sweetly as you/OH pay the bill and say in a loud voice "I was surprised how reasonable it was" and sit and devour the lovely homemade pie with avengence when you get home :D :mad::D
    this is you gritting your teeth and smiling at the same time!!!!
    Right off to load dishwasher and wipe down cooker and .. and... I don't want to clear in front of the freezer because I've no where to put the stuff eek! and the bin isn't an option because I'm reusing whatever/wherever I can due to stretching each pound (and yes Greyqueen every £ is a prisoner!)
    To the kitchen I walk with a smile and less talk :beer:the kettle beckons...........
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    I sympathise BB I have a sister who is just like that, to be fair out parents are too, but as I have nothing to do with them it doesn't matter to me. She annoys me though, especially when I see it in her mean gifts to my children and the ostentatious ones to her friends ;)

I am having a home day today, I don't know what will be happening, probably talking the OH into putting stuff in the loft so I can chuck more stuff out.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • tenmah
    tenmah Posts: 2,209 Forumite
    Options
    Morning All

Not feeling very motivated today (no change there then!). I think I am just a lazy person really but I do like the house to look tidy. This house is so small that just leaving one thing out makes it look untidy and I have a daughter (adult) who doesn't seem to know how to put things away! So to anyone with little ones I would say learn by my mistake and encourage them to put their toys away at the end of play, instead of leaving it until they have gone to bed and doing it for them! If they learn early on that anything they get out, they have to put away, perhpas it will be instilled in them for later life too.

Not even dressed yet - I like days where I don't have to jump in the shower the minute I get up, so have been sitting with a cup of tea catching up with the threads that I read. The washing machine is on though, so will now get showered and dressed and hang it out.

Then I have lots of bits and pieces to do, so it is whether I can get motivated to do them! I hope by reading this thread and seeing what you have all achieved it will give me the kick that I need.
    OD [STRIKE] £2600 [/STRIKE] £0 :j Loan [STRIKE]£9500.00[/STRIKE] £0 :j Car [STRIKE]£3150[/STRIKE] £0 :j Moving Costs [STRIKE]£1300[/STRIKE] £0 :j Savings £1150 :j

Everytime I hear the 'dirty' word Exercise, I wash my mouth out with chocolate!
  • 1_step_closer
    Options
    Morning! :j

Well...................................I havent done my kitchen cupboard. ahem.

But I did enjoy The Wedding!

Out and about today (big family thing) so cupboard wont be done today either! In fact I'm gonna decide NOT to do the cupboard.

Really hoping reverse psycology will work.

KT am loving your cheerfulness!

Have a good day all,

1 step closer
    If you wait for perfect conditions, nothing would ever get done! :T
    I'm not short - I'm condensed awesome! :p
  • Buddingblonde
    Options
    If you cant do a cupboard then do 1 shelf! Just one shelf - thats how i tackled the fridge a few weeks ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure