PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    In ten minutes I could say `Good Morning`... I was out to work at 7 this morning, got home 8.30, fed the menfolk and ate with them - still haven`t wound down yet though. So here I am.

esmf - welcome aboard! I can certainly understand your need to get out to work for `normality`, though I`m not sure that applies on our ward - neither me nor my esteemed colleagues would claim to be `normal`, whatever that is. I love my work, however much I moan about stuff, but also it`s an alternative to feeling like you would DROWN if you didn`t get out there.
    You have a lot more on your plate there than me, with your 2 sons, but if your hubby is the one at home all day could you delegate a bit?
    I`m not suggesting it`s easy (delegating to my OH & DS isn`t!!) but if you keep it very basic and simple, write it down...start with the small things that he could tackle when you are at work. And you may have to lead, too.
    We aren`t clutter-free, but 2 years ago I cleared the previously cluttered mantlepiece and LR windowsills in the run up to Christmas, and have managed to keep those areas clear, a bit of a battle but now quite successfully moving on to other flat surfaces.
    Baby steps, start small but maintain areas before you move on to bigger things. I`ve tried and failed with the mega-blitzes but the bit-by-bit approach does work.
    Goodnight all. x
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    115K wrote: »
    I looked her up after reading this and her house is gorgeous and so stylish.:A I'm jealous.:o

Yes and she is gorgeous and stylish and funny too.
    ah well :o
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Options
    Decided to start with the main bedroom yesterday. It is a dumping ground for anything we have to remover from ds1. Got one bag of jumble, hoovered the floor and found some yucky mould type stuff growing on inside of windows (we have an ensuite shower room). Cleaned it all and will keep it clean. Today will attack the spare room (can't get in it!) and dining kitchen. One of these rooms will be done and the other half done.

Then will work on keeping them clear and might attack the hall on Monday night. This rate I plan to use money saved to have a massive cleaning spree at the end of the month!!
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,664 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello all

Can I please join your little safe haven?

My house is getting beyond.
    We had the council in last week to refit the whole heating system which meant emptying all the cupboards, attic and moving all our stuff around so they could fit pipework for the WHOLE house in a day......needless to say my bedroom now consists of boxes and a mattress and the boys room is boxes so they can barely move but as I pulled thing from our cupboard it was like going back 5 years in Narnia , stuff we hadnt seen in over a decade and it just kept coming :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Kids are back at school tuesday so tomorrow will be finishing getting the school uniform washed and freshened up again for them and making a plan of action.
    I did try to declutter the kids bedrooms before the refit but they still have so much stuff stuck everywhere that I need to get it sorted especially with christmas coming.

I think tackling one room and doing the bin, sell, keep, recycle idea is going to help.

Not easy when you are suffering from labyrinthitis though - think vertigo, blocked ears, sea sickness and tinnitus all in one. Ive had it since July 2013 although some days are better than others but Im still waiting on the hospital appointment.

Only plus side is the living room is fairly tidy as we recently redecorated it as we got married in September but I have piles of sheets/bedding to put away now I have a combi boiler and can actually use the airing cupboard as storage!

Right
    off to make a plan of attack!
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Hi Messies!
    Welcome Sammy, I well remember the nightmare of having our central heating put in, and when the house was rewired - both were all-in-one-day jobbies, every room turned upside down. In fact, a couple of beds got stood on their sides because they had to lift a few floorboards. The only comfort was "well at least we have a good excuse!"

I`m presently in a pattern of working a long day, then one off then another long - till after tomorrow when it`ll be all worthwhile with 5 days off. Can you imagine how that makes me procrastinate!?
    I`m just trying to concentrate on keeping LR & kitchen fairly clear, and cooking for next day as well on each day off. So far, it`s going quite well, and upstairs hasn`t reached critical mass yet.
    Hope everyone`s having a decent week. x
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello Sammy, welcome to the Messies thread.

Hi Emm, I am sure you are looking forward to your days off.

I go back to work on Friday after 5 weeks off and am nervous about it.

Our house is still looking like a home and I so hope it stays like that once I am back at work
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome aboard Sammy.

Hello to everyone, just keeping going here, we have heard a rumour that the new sofa may be arriving this week. I have cleaned the floor just in case. Hope everyone's not doing too badly.
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Emm-in-a-pickle Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 November 2014 at 4:35PM
    Options
    Hi Messies!

Day 1 of five off, so far I`ve shamelessly frittered time (and money) having a good wander round the shops! Some good bargains though - Mr M`s have tubs of chocs and Haribo 2 for £7, normally £5 each elsewhere, also some lovely YS pork. In a silly mood, I`m making mustard mash with ostrich steaks (pre-cooked individual portions from Iceland £1.30 each) and sprouts. Haven`t tried ostrich before, OH is quite exited!

I`ve bought some stuff to attempt to recreate the rag doll I made for DD many years ago, she was reminiscing the other day, saying how she wished she still had that doll to amuse her little ones. I can`t get the pattern now, and the original is long gone like the doll, but I did make quite a few of them for other kids, and hope I can remember some details, sort of busk it...

Before I can do anything else, I`ll have to un-trash the kitchen, do a bit of freezer tetris, then get food prepped for tonight.
    It`s surprising how tiring browsing round shops can be though..

Gilly, good luck at work tomorrow!
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Hope work wasn't too bad Gilly. A bit of frittering isn't always a bad thing Emm.

Yesterday and today have been spent pinging. I spent yesterday afternoon trimming all my quilt blocks - and I even chucked all the bits away afterwards! I've repotted a plant, cleaned the washing machine (it was disgusting), done the recycling and cleaned out the recycling bag, cleaned the floors, swapped the duvet over to winter weight, need to do the spare room today as we have visitors tomorrow night. I've just generally done little jobs that always get ignored. I can't say the house looks tidy at the minute, but a bit of a blitz this afternoon will see to that.

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, well home from work with only a few tears in my return to work interview. Have been offered modified hours and no on call. Will lose some money by not being on call, but I am going to work to live, not live to work and take it for a while.

Thank you for the good wishes xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport