PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• Catslovelycats
    Options
    Is there any other thread like this?
    I can't find one.
    Would be keen to join!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there any other thread like this?
    I can't find one.
    Would be keen to join!

Come and join us on the KonMarie thread if you want to become less messy.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Hi Catslovelycats, I did start a `Messies -part 2` ages ago, and it fizzled out. Some of the posters still post on some other threads, so some of the old Messies are still around, which is nice.
    I DO miss that thread, it was a comfort sharing thoughts on being, admittedly messy!
    Slinky, I have read lots of the Konmarie thread, but despite some nice ideas (like `thanking` stuff before it gets donated or binned!) and asking if an item brings joy... it`s not a movement I could or want to follow.
    As long as I can find stuff, and it`s not crowding me out, the contents of my home are not burdens, the place gets cleaned enough to be healthy and comfortable, but it`s seldom really tidy. The menfolk would think they were in the wrong house, and I`d have to have a personality change to keep it up!
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    Yes emm pickle
    I feel the same
    Not sure the other thread is for me entirely
    Perhaps the other messies thread fizzled out because everyone became tidy??! Lol
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The sloblady thread (old not a current thread) is well worth a read. made me laugh out loud and feel much better when everything was desperate.

I would try to join in if you tried to revive this thread. I had a total hip replacement 15 months ago (12 month recovery period) and still find things difficult. Being able to reach things below knee height and get down and up from the floor were the last things to come back to me.

Now I sometimes have a 'normal' productive day, sometimes two but then find the third day I need to stay in bed most of the time. I want to do more but find it difficult.

Never been great at housework (let's face it, there's always something better to do) and I have hoarding tendencies. Finally free from debt and have let some furniture go - none of it was my choice but have been so poor for so long that I ended up surrounded by other people's cast offs and stuff belonging to dead relatives. There are always people who insist something 'must stay in the family' and then decide it will stay at my house not theirs.

Having given several things to charity (another 5 need to go to the tip via council's bulky waste collection having been rejected by the cs and not good enough for the homeless) I am a little short on storage so my bedroom is full of boxes and baskets atm.

I have several large jobs that need doing (now I finally have the money to pay for them) and then will need to do restoration/ redecoration myself but there isn't really room for the workmen (and a bit embarrassed to show them round for now).

I can do things but it takes me a long time to do them and takes a lot out of me. I think the main problem atm is that looking at it overwhelms me and I don't know where to start.

I spent most of February moving my mother into a bungalow - as in she moved at the same time the furniture did and didn't go back' I spent five weeks sorting through all her stuff, listing it, finding out from her which items she wanted and which could be donated / disposed of and then packing/ transporting (I have no car) or putting in the queue for being moved by her partner's children as and when as well as waiting for neighbours grandchildren / charity shop van collecting items.

It took five weeks. Would have been four but I contracted a flu type bug (I have the injection so shouldn't really get flu) and spent a week in bed. The bug has lingered over several weeks.

Now I need to put my own much neglected house in order.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Help please. Where do you all store DVDs and CDs?
    We seem to be drowning in them and we've already got rid of loads. :(
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tattycath wrote: »
    Help please. Where do you all store DVDs and CDs?
    We seem to be drowning in them and we've already got rid of loads. :(

All over the place :eek::o I'm not very tidy at the mo :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

I'm still here - and still messy!! The other thread is also not for me - I have too much stuff & reluctant to let go. Finally DF but my hopes of organising large house plus large garden - myself have come to nothing - although I do have a DH & DD, they don't clean or garden. Add in 5 messy long haired pets, lots of rain & mud = much drudgery for me.

Like mothernerd I also could do with some decorating doing, which I could do I think & quite like, but never get the time...
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Mothernerd, I remember the old Sloblady thread too, like many of the Messies there was an element of defiance in the posts, and, as you say re housework - there`s always something better to do. Or more pressing. (I`m glad to hear your hip op. got done and you`re getting back to where you should be, but one`s joints, original or replacements, tend to complain when we overdo things!)

Sashanut, I`m with you on the too much stuff and reluctance to let go thing. I have got rid of loads of clutter in the last few years, but I`ve also hung on to things `in case they come in useful`.

OK, I had WAY too many kitchen utensils, had a cull in the kitchen but put some in storage in the caravan (doesn`t go, but serves as great shed, off the ground, not damp, rugs, mats, sacks of wild birdfood, etc.) I recently had a spate of buying potted hyacinths and as the blooms got top heavy and keeled over nothing seemed to work to prop `em up - till I stuck a few `spare` wooden spoons and a couple of salad servers in the bowls. There, a bit of hoarding well justified.

Also, I retired last September (but still doing 18 hours, one and a half days per week cos I love the job) so now have more time - have I used my time to tidy? No. Apart from the odd binge-clean, and the basic necessities, like when I worked full-time.
    I HAVE used lots of my `free` time getting creative though, a sewing machine is still a girl`s best friend, even after a decade of neglecting it. Here`s another example of being glad I kept stuff, cutting things up to make something else, even little bits salvaged to become doll`s clothes, or part of a cushion. When I`ve got my sewing head on the place gets messy, bits of fabric & cotton get everywhere and I see no point clearing up till I`ve finished making a mess.

Then there`s the garden, it`s big and we aren`t gardeners, some would call it a Mess. I prefer to call it wild, and take a pride in that. Fashionable now, apparently - I like to think of it as trying to compensate for so many concreted over ex-gardens that aren`t muddy or weedy, and tidy folks are happy with theirs but so am I with mine!
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    Thanks for these replies! Mothernerd, sounds like you'r doing a good job in difficult circumstances to me!
    I sorted out my plastic container cupboard the other day. It is full to bursting, to thextent it is a hazard every time I open it. :o
    Can anyone explain why I have 17 (!) locking plastic lids of various sizes but no containers to go with them???? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure