PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Haven't done too much this morning, but the scaffolding was taken away yesterday and the skip has gone *yay*. DH swept the front last night so that looks fine, hopefully we'll clean the window sills and have a sweep at the back tomorrow and things will be looking good, we've had a new roof so it's been a bit of a big job.

Plus, now it's done there's less washing up as I'm not making countless cups of tea to keep everyone going!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So lovely and warm in the conservatory this morning I actually noticed the state on it! So much fluff from the rug on the boards that it looked like another rug. Wood lice corpses in the corners, where it had been a bit damp.

Who'd have thought that cane chairs would be so heavy?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I am sitting hunched up on the couch - it moved forward to leave space for an item of mum's furniture which should only be here temporarily - someone else is supposed to be selling it on her behalf. Wider 'hall' space was to accommodate some items that were collected by a charity in February. So little space in here that I have broken a glass and DS3 has broken a mug in hte last two days.

Unfinished filing (mum's again) is still looking balefully at me. I have tried (got up early and came down to make a start) but was fighting sleep by mid afternoon. Want it finished so I can take hers back and my portion away into a card file box. (Her partner has Alzheimers and has started rummaging through paperwork so I'm planning to keep anything she doesn't need on a day to day basis. The rest will go in a metal lockable filing box and the key will join the others round her neck.

Have tackled the washing up mountain and done some work on filling the bins (mini weeding/ cut back in garden).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    There`s always something guilt-inspiring for me about finding little woodlice corpses... we sometimes get them around the log baskets, they must come in lurking on a log and fall off as the logs dry out by the fire. I do try to rescue live ones if I see them but they are so good at hiding.

Today`s plan -
    I`ve done some freezer tetris, taken out 6 packs of ox-cheek (Morrisons, a recent find) and as they are vacuum packed in rigid trays this has freed a fair bit of space. I`ve watched James Martin (Home Comforts, Lazy Days) on I-player, and like the sound of slow cooking in beer.
    So, we have to go down the pub today - what a hardship, eh? It must be almost a year since I`ve bothered to go, OH has been about 4 times when I`ve been at work on the weekend, so it`s time we showed our faces there together too! I have managed to find the 2-pint beer container amid the chaos of Spare room of Doom, so feeling rather smug.
    Marinate in fridge overnight, then cook tomorrow, easy Monday supper and easy leftovers for after work on Tuesday night.
    Glad rags sorted, washing from yesterday all put away, and some lamb curry defrosting for later.
    I don`t feel that`s too bad so far, which is just as well as who knows what, if anything, I`ll get done later today after a couple of pints of real ale for the first time in a year!
    It`s bins day tomorrow, I might just do a gentle trash-trawl around the house looking for anything obvious.

Have a nice Sunday all.
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone,

We had a fairly productive weekend. DH cleaned the front of the house to remove the worst of the building mess, cut the lawn and weeded the drive and patio. I started to move some plants ready for the garden update and did some weeding. Hopefully next month we'll be able to buy some cobbles for the area we want to cover and the place will start to look better.

Managed to get some laundry outside too, now we have access to the back door, it was such a gorgeous day it seemed daft not to.

Today is our 15th anniversary so I'm planning to cook something nice and we might go out for a drink or something. Hope you all have a good day.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    Come and join us on the KonMarie thread if you truly want to get rid of the mess, instead of being comforted in your messiness. I mean it in the nicest possible way. There is light at the end of the tunnel, it just needs effort and a plan to help you get there.

Thank you for the invite but no thank you. I was not saying I was comfortable in my mess I was comfortable on this thread. I know the cause of our mess, the contributing factors that keep things that way and how much of my life I want to devote to cleaning and tidying (not very much) and what other things I wish to do with my time.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Alec E & Mr Alec E! It`s a luxury to be able to get washing out to dry, especially if you`ve been unable to access washing line for a while. Weather is dodgy here today, so as I`ve nothing urgent I`m leaving it awhile.
    Today, so far, I`ve been out to deliver a birthday card & pressie, had a clean around in the kitchen, and walked my Lily-dog. Bins emptied early so missed doing a last-minute trash trawl. I`ve marinated the beef-cheeks and veg in beer, so now going to fry them off and put in the oven for the rest of this afternoon. Then I`m going to peel a load of spuds, enough for mash to do 2 days. That`ll keep me occupied for a while too.
    I`m working 12 hours tomorrow, so no plans to look for any de-messying here today. We fall off the current rota at the weekend, and the new one isn`t out yet, so not making any plans till I see what my shifts are, maybe tomorrow.
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    BB, I know what you mean about `how much of my life I want to devote to cleaning and tidying`, in my case too it`s mostly not much.
    I know the Kondo fans would say once you`ve got it sorted it stays that way with little effort.
    BUT , (and there are 2 `buts`) I do not believe this would ever be true in my household, as Nature abhors a vacuum, and Flat surfaces attract carp. As do clear spaces.
    The other big But: I do occasionally get a real deep urge to do wonders, then a binge at cleaning and tidying happens, and it`s very satisfying, I can sit and admire the results, and see a Difference. I know myself well enough to know I`d never get the same buzz from cleaning and sorting somewhere that didn`t really need doing!
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BB, I know what you mean about `how much of my life I want to devote to cleaning and tidying`, in my case too it`s mostly not much.
    I know the Kondo fans would say once you`ve got it sorted it stays that way with little effort.
    BUT , (and there are 2 `buts`) I do not believe this would ever be true in my household, as Nature abhors a vacuum, and Flat surfaces attract carp. As do clear spaces.
    The other big But: I do occasionally get a real deep urge to do wonders, then a binge at cleaning and tidying happens, and it`s very satisfying, I can sit and admire the results, and see a Difference. I know myself well enough to know I`d never get the same buzz from cleaning and sorting somewhere that didn`t really need doing!

You seem very like me in how you tackle your cleaning and tidying. But one funny thing is my tops are all folded and stored Konmari style:rotfl::rotfl: so you may need to boot me off for letting the side down ;)

In our bedroom we have a couple of boxes of books and toys for visiting little ones, I need to decide where the best place to store these is and if I their is something more suitable to store them in also probably a good idea to have quick sort through to see if their is any thing we can get rid off. OH has just suggested storing them in the loft, not so hand me thinks for grab when visitors arrive :p
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I felt all smug n virtuos as I hung all the dog blankets out to dry today. Then I came home to find Mr Pooch, had dragged the all into his dog igloo, after they'd fallen off the line :rotfl:
    Happy Anniversary to the AE'S XX
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills