PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My home is a mess

Options

Comments

• Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    "Noodles for breakfast?!!!!"
    Yes.she doesn`t add the flavouring sachet, just a dab of marg and a shot of reduced salt soy sauce.
    My DD (her aunt) went through a phase of wanting noodles for breakfast too in her early teens, but she had the chicken flavouring as well!

Jackie, look forward to your posting, we`ll encourage each other along.

Pol - next time take a wander to Island Green, there`s a new Iceland at the far end that`s just opened, some brilliant bulk buys, fresh meat and frozen. Think it`s called a warehouse. I must make more room in freezers first though.
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    "Noodles for breakfast?!!!!"
    Yes.she doesn`t add the flavouring sachet, just a dab of marg and a shot of reduced salt soy sauce.
    My DD (her aunt) went through a phase of wanting noodles for breakfast too in her early teens, but she had the chicken flavouring as well!

Jackie, look forward to your posting, we`ll encourage each other along.

Pol - next time take a wander to Island Green, there`s a new Iceland at the far end that`s just opened, some brilliant bulk buys, fresh meat and frozen. Think it`s called a warehouse. I must make more room in freezers first though.

Doesnt sound so bad the way she has it. My veggie daughter used to have a baked potato for breakfast - so that she didnt get hungry for the day while at college. The noodles will fill her up the same - better than sugary cereals I guess.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Cat501
    Cat501 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi messies :)

pollypenny I think I'd happily do your cleaning in return for ironing. It always seems so much easier to do other people's stuff!

Baileys Babe thanks for the ironing tip, I'll give that a go - it would be an idea to amalgamate the various ironing piles first. In fact it would be an idea to sort out what is ironing and what is washing :(

Unproductive couple of days, have only kept up with dishes and taken the recycling out.

Hope everyone's well :) xx
  • Emm-in-a-pickle
    Options
    Hi Messies!

Cat, don`t beat yourself up - keeping up with the dishes is not to be sneezed at. I`ve had a bit of help from DGD in that department, and we did HM pizzas together after I got home from work last night.
    Cleared up again this morning, then (after her noodle breakfast) DGD prepped a load of veg for roasting to make spag bol sauce, while I shined the sink.
    Kitchen looks a bit odd now, with sink & drainer looking like new, and bits of pepper seeds and garlic peelings littering worktop & floor, but never mind....
    DGD is having spag bol tonight, and I`m doing must-use barbecue pork ribs and eggy-fried rice for the rest of us.
    Then we`re doing pizza again tomorrow, using the leftover spag bol sauce.
    One WM load done, a quick tidy in LR, otherwise we`re concentrating on food here!
    I`ve put the rice in the steamer, and when the spag bol veg comes out of the oven in a few mins the ribs are going in. A bit more chopping and slicing, then I`ll light the fire and settle with a glass of wine before the next bit of cooking. DGD is doing her own pasta, and blitzing the sauce. And we`re really enjoying ourselves here!
    Hope everyone`s having a nice start to the week. x
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    'Forgive me' usually presages a snotty comment, as here.

If you'd read my posts, you would know that I was thrilled to bits to have had my DS here, from the USA, for a few days.
    It was just lovely to pamper him, as he works so hard and, with two little ones both he and DiL hsve no time to themselves.

I wasn't meaning to be snotty, I just dislike the idea that many have that the women in the house should do the lion's share of the chores which is what I took from your comment about your DIL never ironing your son's shirts.

It's nice that you took the time to do this for him, especially if your son and DIL have little time for themselves.

Apologies if I misunderstood, tone is hard to read in text form.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Options
    They all have to be shredded nd its a case of do some until,the shredder overheats, then pause.[/QUOTE]

My os Dad pre shredders used to rip up any confidential papers then soak them in a bowl of soapy water
    before binning them (pre recycling)
    Before gas fires he could burn them on the coal fire.

I saw a tip on y** t*** to spray a page of paper with wd40 before feeding it through the shredder to oil it.

ive been watching a young Canadian woman on y** t*** she runs a cleaning business. Its called 'clean my space'
    She has some really good videos to deal with cleaning up stuff. Her home is imacculate and doesnt look lived in but shes quite entertaining her staff probably cleans her home!
    Helpful tips though.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    I wasn't meaning to be snotty, I just dislike the idea that many have that the women in the house should do the lion's share of the chores which is what I took from your comment about your DIL never ironing your son's shirts.

It's nice that you took the time to do this for him, especially if your son and DIL have little time for themselves.

Apologies if I misunderstood, tone is hard to read in text form.

Thank you for that.

He'd been running, and recapturing his teenage days, on the Clwydian Range. His clothes were mud splattered, so I stuck them in the wash.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    That's what I do with confidential papers too. rip them up and soak them in a bowl of water until they're pulp, less messing about than a shredder for me.

DH went into work early this morning so I got up not long after and cleaned out the bunny pen and did the floors downstairs. I've also put two loads of laundry away, changed the sheets and put a load of laundry on.

I'm still using the steam cleaner a lot, mainly for rabbit stuff, but I've used it for other things too and I'm finding is very useful. I'm going to try it on the windows tomorrow. Exciting!

Have a good day everyone.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Options
    That's what I do with confidential papers too. rip them up and soak them in a bowl of water until they're pulp, less messing about than a shredder for me

I'm still using the steam cleaner a lot, mainly for rabbit stuff, but I've used it for other things too and I'm finding is very useful. I'm going to try it on the windows tomorrow. Exciting.

when I rertired last year I had a ton of paperwork to destroy
    so I decided to stand in the bathroom and toss the confidential papers in the bathtub of soapy water
    Fine until I wanted to unplug to drain..... nightmare
    I had blocked up the plughole....doh!
    So I had to use a colander to scoop out the pulp. It took ages to get the print off the bath, my poor back
    So now, I use a large mesh strainer over a bowl of water so its easy to drain the pulp and I dont let the paperwork build
    up.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I have been away for ages, it is nice to see some of the "old" faces still here or returning and to see some new faces.

Five weeks off work with depression helps to get organised especially the last couple where I have not been sleeping all day. I have been making sure I keep busy and away from hours on end of daytime tv.

I have been doing my own version of flylady and can see the improvements.

All day to day jobs are up to date, with meal planning, store cupboard and freezer inventories in place.

The spare room was a room of doom, but has now been decluttered, everything sorted into keep, bin, donate or sell. The keeps have been put away, the bin or donates have gone. The items which went on Bay of E have sold and are sent. Those which did not sell have gone to charity. Following my lead my darling husband has now decorated the spare room and it has been turned into a relaxing room.

The study has been deep cleaned, all filing done, all shredding done - 8 bags of recycling.

The dry days have been outside jobs and as a consequence the garden is looking lovely and prepared for winter.
    The upvc window frames and doors have been shined using oven cleaner - I kid you not.
    Again dear hubbie got his paintbrushes out and did all the external paintwork.

Too much of my downtime was spent on the PC or watching crud tv so I am not going to be here as often but will be keeping an occasional eye on you all.

Best Wishes
    Gilly x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family