PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• freudianslip
    freudianslip Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    over risen means its been left too long rising,it rises like a fluffy cloud,gets too big and then the protein strands break [think blowing a balloon up until it bursts],so when you cook it it cant rise much at all,you end up with a heavy brick-like loaf.

....... and that is just what I've pulled out of the oven :( Thanks at least I know now. How long would you recommend I leave it to rise for?
  • rhubarbcottage
    Options
    I see loads of you are cosidering buying woodburning stoves for your fireplaces, we'd love one too,
    but would you consider one for your kitchens?
    Our old electric oven had to go and we're thinking of replacing it with a woodburning oven.
    Rayburns are way beyond our means but we've seen these for £400

http://www.stoveworlduk.co.uk/woodburningstoves_detail.php?stoveid=62

Obviously, it'll cost extra to fit it.

What do you think?

My family think I'm mad but with a microwave and hob as backup I think it's the way to go.
    Plus it would provide warmth for the kitchen which is the only unheated area of the house.
    Last winter the fridge freezer had to live in the hallway because the kitchen got so cold.

Fuel prices are never going to go down, are they, so I think woodburning is the way to go.

I've loved reading all your posts - it's taken me a few days to get through them all but it was worth every minute.

Thanks.

Rhu.
    Mirror, mirror, on the wall.
    I am my mother after all!
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Funnily enough I was clearing out my old receipt jar today and found a Waitrose receipt from Feb 2010. I pulled out my one from yesterday to compare prices (I am a creature of habit when it comes to groceries) and I was really surprised to find nearly every thing was the same price! Butter is a lot more now (29p difference) but milk and squash are actually cheaper - and they weren't on an offer!
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    An interesting prospect rhubarb. That has the same output as my burner.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    l'm all for real fires etc but bear in mind that you can't get the exact heat of a thermnostat oven....some things can take a bit of practice :)
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,314 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Just on the woodburner discussions - we have a large multi-fuel stove in our kitchen/diner. This is designed to burn coal as well as wood. Now I accept that our house is not very well insulated but these stoves really arent cheap to run, unless you can get free wood, and you need a lot. Ours is great for keeping the kitchen/diner warm but thats about as far as it goes, and it does go through some fuel if you are running it all day.

The cost of coal and wood has gone up like everything else over the past couple of years and you need decent seasoned logs to make it work properly.

Personally I would not spend a lot of money installing a woodburner as I am not sure that you will get the money back. For comfort and a lovely warm glow they are fantastic, just dont expect them to be able to heat the whole house.
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wood is going up by 30% for this coming season.
  • born_blonde
    born_blonde Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    I had a cheap wood burner/multi fuel stove in the kitchen - it didn't last. Spares were difficult to source and expensive.
    But if I could afford to do it properly I'd do it again. Yes fuel is expensive but it cooked well, kettle always hot on the top and boy was the kitchen warm!
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Able Archer
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    rhubarb cottage I do have one in my kitchen,and one in the sitting room. in a previous property we had a rayburn and its what I cooked on, it also heated the hot water. it was great for most things but took an awful lot of fuel to get to a really high temperature for making bread or frying ,for example. great for long slow cooking of cheap meats,strews casseroles. and you have to plan, it takes time to get up to temperature, a pain in the summer though, all windows open and stove boiling away! so we installed an electric hob and cooked on that in the summer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure