PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• mamaninie
    mamaninie Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options
    another disaster on the brown bread:mad::mad::mad:

I tried half and half wholemeal and white. The top was flat as a pancake - it had risen and then sunk. The texture is really rubbery.

where am I going wrong?????

I'm going to try a handbaked loaf today to see if its the recipe or the breadmaker.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 June 2011 at 10:49AM
    Options
    mamaninie

Have you tried adding Vitamin C powder? Just crush a vit C tablet (or part of one with a spoon.

DH taking me to Lidl at 11 to get a few bits and bobs. DD has a friend coming to stay over the weekend so want to get a few extras.

All the flowers in vases are now either dead or past their best so want to get some from Lidl as it is much cheaper there than anywhere else. Cheapest bunch of flowers in our local supermarket is now £4 ( nothing fancy either!)

Planning to use up peppers and other tired looking veg tonight as a stir fry noodley dish and generally use up food in fridge etc.

Just managed to renew library books over phone so I don't have a fine
    - they close at 2 today and I will not be able to go personally. Phew.

Finally persuaded DH to phone and ask again about cavity wall insulation and someone is coming round in about two weeks to see if it can be done etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • westlothianlass
    Options
    Hi we don't have a wood burner but still have 3 fireplaces in the cottage. The livingroom one has an old range built round it with a door for bread etc but i haven't used it yet.
    We got oil central heating fitted a few years ago (had enough of wearing full winter kit in bed:rotfl:) but sadly the guys fitting it couldn't work out how to keep the boiler abouve the living room fire so we had to lose that:mad:. If i ever raise enough money and find someone that knows what they are doing i would love to get it refitted.
    Long term i am hoping to buy a wind turbine as it should work better than solar panels up here, we live in a very windy area, a bit like the beginning of the wizard of oz without the tornado on most days:rotfl:.
    x
    Moving towards a life that is more relaxed and kinder to the environment (embracing my inner hippy:D) .:j
  • bargainhunterss
    Options
    Morning all!
    Another lovely day and I hope everyone's feeling as chipper as me today!....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I've definately got that thursday feeling today! Left OH note today with chores to do...I have faith! perhaps misguided...
    Going to have to try that heat saver idea from the winter thread, ingenious! xx
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 June 2011 at 11:13AM
    Options
    I would think there would be just enough heat to keep away frost in the greenhouse especially if it was bubble wrapped and two would still work out cheaper if you use up all your candle stubbs to make candles in jars. i have a lot of scrap wax I could use and some wicks somewhere too. It would go on the floor of the greenhouse which is concrete slab.
    I have an electric frost protector tube in my dining room and that is only 25 watts. It keeps away condensation from the bay window. So two candle heaters would be adequate I think. unless we get really low temps but then the plants would have to take their chances.

The price of paraffin is too high for me so it would be the candle or nothing at the allotment. It is worth a try anyway if i get time to make some on top of everything else.
  • kate1974
    kate1974 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    mamaninie wrote: »
    another disaster on the brown bread:mad::mad::mad:

I tried half and half wholemeal and white. The top was flat as a pancake - it had risen and then sunk. The texture is really rubbery.

where am I going wrong?????

I'm going to try a handbaked loaf today to see if its the recipe or the breadmaker.
    Hi!
    That's happened to my bread before-as I figured out I've put in too much yeasts-I've stared using breadmaker's own measuring spoon since and have no problems.Another problem might be if you use too much liquid.
    Hope that helps
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My son used to rent a lodge cottage 4 miles down the road from me, it was built in 1888 and was gorgeous. It had a small coal fire with an oven one side, a box for drying kindling underneath, and a bit for putting a kettle at the other. All black cast iron. High mantlepiece with even the wee box for salt. He loved it but his g/f hated it so they moved out. And the landlord gutted it and cleared all that out to put in puddy boring modern central heating . What a waste! It was so economical and sensible just the way it was.
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    Options
    kimitatsu it was this one. I have no affiliation to this firm whatsoever. I found them by googling and compared prices with others at the time..
  • westlothianlass
    westlothianlass Posts: 256 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2011 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Thanks to all who have mentioned food dehydrators, i think i might consider getting one particularly for drying fruit.
    I bottled some apple slices last year to try and use up some of a glut but haven't used them yet as they are quite spicy (unsure if it was my enthusiasm or the recipe), but i may try them in a crumble and see if they are edible :rotfl:.
    With all the price increases i have been having a rethink about our meal plan. For years i didn't eat meat but over the last year or so have been using a lot more, so decided to look out my vegetarian cookbooks for inspiration. It's amazing how many meals i used to make regularly i had forgotten about. So a look through the store cupboard is in order today with pencil and pad poised so that i can fill in the gaps.
    Moving towards a life that is more relaxed and kinder to the environment (embracing my inner hippy:D) .:j
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    r.a.i.n.b.o.w Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    Saw on the news (again) that the price of food has gone up 5%...where the heck do they get these figures from? I know I've said it before, but tea bags 27p up to 30p - that's 9%. Noodles 10p up to 12p - that's 20%. Raisins 64p up to 99p - that's 60% approx. Baked beans & sausages 29p up to 54p - that's 90% approx.

What does the 5% relate to??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport