PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• mamaninie
    mamaninie Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the allinson suggestion - I'll take a look

my hand made loaf seems better - texture more bready, but still not perfect. But I couldn't get the bl**dy thing out of the tin:mad::mad::mad: My kitchen is now covered in crumbs and I've completely disintegrated the bloomin thing to extract it. The non-stick lining is now fused to the bread.

This is why I needed to get the breadmaker to work for me - there is no way I'm going through this palaver every other day.
  • freudianslip
    freudianslip Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options

oh and someone has pinched our bl**dy wheelie bin so need to phone the council up and get us a new one

from April this year our council charge us to have our wheelie bin replaced, you're lucky getting yours for free. £25 it costs us if ours blows away or is swiped :(

Had major problems with my bread.

I put it in the BM for the dough and first rise. Knocked it back, put it in tin and then on windowsill for second rise with a damp t-towel ontop. The tea towel has stuck and now my dough has sunken and looks like crinky baggy skin :( going in oven now. fingers crossed
  • freudianslip
    Options
    Mamaninie it may be worth looking at the Allinson flour website i got a free booklet from them a while back that had pretty good recipes that would be a good addition to your river cottage book hth
    x

I'e been using http://www.bakingmad.com/ seems ok.
  • mamaninie
    mamaninie Posts: 430 Forumite
    Options
    couldn't be worse than mine :p
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    freudian, if that happens again then take it out and re-knead with a bit of flour and oli on your hands, I use a big, cheap mixing bowl over the top or I dust with flour and use clingfilm very lightly. It has over risen if it flops like that when touched

mama do your last kneading with oil on your hands. It shouldn`t stick to the tin
  • redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    from April this year our council charge us to have our wheelie bin replaced, you're lucky getting yours for free. £25 it costs us if ours blows away or is swiped :(

Had major problems with my bread.

I put it in the BM for the dough and first rise. Knocked it back, put it in tin and then on windowsill for second rise with a damp t-towel ontop. The tea towel has stuck and now my dough has sunken and looks like crinky baggy skin :( going in oven now. fingers crossed

Can beat you there. I am looking at £40 to replace mine. Needless to say it is on its last legs and will remain in that condition until I have to replace it.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Freudianslip, I baked a heavy overrisen-so-it-flopped loaf yesterday. Si when it cooled I made a bread and butter pudding with it. Had it with custard yesterday and today,its all gone now....................was rarther delicious.
  • freudianslip
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    freudian, if that happens again then take it out and re-knead with a bit of flour and oli on your hands, I use a big, cheap mixing bowl over the top or I dust with flour and use clingfilm very lightly. It has over risen if it flops like that when touched

mama do your last kneading with oil on your hands. It shouldn`t stick to the tin
    oldtractor wrote: »
    Freudianslip, I baked a heavy overrisen-so-it-flopped loaf yesterday. Si when it cooled I made a bread and butter pudding with it. Had it with custard yesterday and today,its all gone now....................was rarther delicious.

Does over risen mean it's been in the warm for too long?
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    Can beat you there. I am looking at £40 to replace mine. Needless to say it is on its last legs and will remain in that condition until I have to replace it.

£40 :eek: our council will repair free of charge though, what those 'repairs' include I do not know. (We should have a rolling eye smiley on MSE)
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Saw on the news (again) that the price of food has gone up 5%...where the heck do they get these figures from? I know I've said it before, but tea bags 27p up to 30p - that's 9%. Noodles 10p up to 12p - that's 20%. Raisins 64p up to 99p - that's 60% approx. Baked beans & sausages 29p up to 54p - that's 90% approx.

What does the 5% relate to??

Caviar and truffles.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    over risen means its been left too long rising,it rises like a fluffy cloud,gets too big and then the protein strands break [think blowing a balloon up until it bursts],so when you cook it it cant rise much at all,you end up with a heavy brick-like loaf.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure