🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

Options

Comments

• redglass_2
    redglass_2 Posts: 771 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2011 at 8:08PM
    Options
    Had a lovely roast dinner cooked for all three of us on Sunday and there was even some left over spring greens for doggles so everyone was happy.

What is this about dogs and cabbage? :rotfl: First Puddleglum and now Winnie in Pooh! Do dogs really like it? I must have missed a trick when I had mine, I never thought of giving them cabbage (will know better next time!)
    mongmoney wrote: »
    I am forever picking up coppers and stopped feeling dirty years ago> my tin loves them.

Yes, Mongmoney, I always pick up. I used to work with young people and I noticed none of them would ever pick up as it was considered very uncool,:cool: but I am completely shameless. I twice found a tenner - I think even a teenager would stoop for that. :j It's not just coins, I'll pick up anything of interest that's lying abandoned. Think I missed my true calling and should have been a totter.

Silvasava, you can get ecological slug pellets (google the organic catalogue). I can vouch from experience that they do work but like so many eco-things they aren't as cheap as the baddy version. Cheaper than having slugs eat all your produce, though....

edited to add: we'll all be following your progress, Cheryl. A man who responds kindly to a dog is always promising, IMHO...
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Just a quick hello tonight - just popped onto one of the other boards and I can't believe how nasty some of them are... one poor lady asked for some advice (maybe she was being a bit naive) but she was only asking a question and was practically ripped to shreds.

Think I'm going to stick to this and the DFW board from now on.

Cat2 trying to help me type and has swiped my fingers several times trying to catch them - signing off for just now to stem the scratches!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    redglass wrote: »
    What is this about dogs and cabbage? :rotfl: First Puddleglum and now Winnie in Pooh! Do dogs really like it? I must have missed a trick when I had mine, I never thought of giving them cabbage (will know better next time!)

It was me!

Mr B loves cabbage - gets it every meal instead of meat (still gets scraps of chicken/mince etc when I've got some).

The vet recommended it when he was trying to lose some weight (Mr B, not the vet) and he loved it. A lot cheaper than feeding meat as well (tinned upsets his tum).

If anyone's thinking of doing this, a word of caution - introduce gradually :D. Mr B's had it for around 4 years and gets a good handful but if you're dog's not used to veg, please don't sling that much in his dinner or you'll know about it later!:rotfl:

Just reminded my that I've still got those cabbages to chop/cook/freeze:(.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My mutt loves almost all fruit and veg - preferably raw. Suits me, as he has allergies that could be food related - and as such all his food has to be additive free. Dog treats that fit the bill are really expensive, but whoopsied vag (especially carrots) are greeted with great delight :T
    edited to add: we'll all be following your progress, Cheryl. A man who responds kindly to a dog is always promising, IMHO...
    and mine :)
    supposed to be meeting another chap on Saturday, who owns (or is owned by) 4 cats but says he likes dogs
    the third I'm currently chatting to has a dog of his own - but that could cause friction at a meet, as mine is unpredictable around others. I may have to go and pick up a muzzle 'just in case' :o
    Cheryl
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [QUOTE=cw18;42567994
    supposed to be meeting another chap on Saturday, who owns (or is owned by) 4 cats but says he likes dogs
    the third I'm currently chatting to has a dog of his own - but that could cause friction at a meet, as mine is unpredictable around others. I may have to go and pick up a muzzle 'just in case' :o[/QUOTE]
    my goodness where are you finding them all ? :-)
    Tumptyteapot

• cw18
    Options
    my goodness where are you finding them all ? :-)
    On a dating site blush.gif
    Cheryl
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    LauraM65 thanks for the "hope you're feeling better". I did start to feel better after a while but feel quite ill at the moment. Ate too much for tea and have indigestion unfortunately. My own fault for being a little piggy (I am certainly not an empty piggy right at the minute).

Cheryl your abundance of dates sound fantastic, and how cool of you to go on a dating website. I always think that they look great, but I don't think that I would have the guts to do it. I hope that you find someone you really like. (I pictured you with a wry little smile on your face!!) Good for you.
  • cw18
    Options
    Cheryl your abundance of dates sound fantastic, and how cool of you to go on a dating website. I always think that they look great, but I don't think that I would have the guts to do it. I hope that you find someone you really like. (I pictured you with a wry little smile on your face!!) Good for you.
    I'm not sure my elder DS would agree with you :rotfl:
    Having told me for quite some time that it was 'time to get a life', when I mentioned to him on Friday I was going to meet up with someone I'd met on a dating site he almost freaked - not with the idea of a dating site, but with the idea of his mother (who's old, and therefore "passed it") using one ;)

I've been on the one I'm using now since Jan of last year - but not as a paid up member, which meant I couldn't communicate. A (short) free trial of all the features the following month saw me almost get to the 'meet up' point with someone - but not quite there.

Last Nov they sent me a special offer for a 3 month membership, which I took them up on after a considerable amount of thought. Only got chatting to one person - and he's now my closest real-life friend and confidant as we clicked instantly, but not in the way the site intended us to :D (I can see that it's going to be interesting trying to explain to any future 'fella' that I met my best mate on a dating site though :o)

I actually turned off 'matching' after about 6 or 7 weeks into that period, as I was getting very few through and none of them really interested me. (And I always switch matching off between paid-up periods, which means there's no chance anyone will try and contact me and get annoyed when I don't respond)

A couple of weeks ago they sent me another special offer code for 3 months membership - and, whilst not as good as last time, I decided to give it one more try. The first one I started to 'chat' with (using some basic Q&A screens in the system) got ruled out very early on, as he "would probably be uncomfortable with my mate having friends of the opposite gender"

I quite like this one site, as you can't pick and chose from all members youself - and they try and make sure the matches they send have things in common with you (interests and traits you're looking for / can't stand).

The only thing I don't like about it is when they decide to relax some of your criteria in order to be able to send you a match - they regularly suggest I open out to a further distance from home or widen the acceptable age range, but I'd rather keep those where they are and have less matches (can actually be as much as 2 weeks with none!). But every so often they 'relax' the criteria and (despite my within 30 mile selection) send me details of people as far away as London...... and given I'm in Gtr Manchester, that's a lot more than 30 miles :mad:

I tried another dating site for a week or so earlier this year, but it was like a cattle market. You can see the details of all members, and with just a photo and brief write up to base interest on you can then contact them (as long as you're a paid up member - I took out a short and discounted trial). I decided I'd had enough when I was getting at least one 'lad' get in touch every day (they were 12-15 years younger than me, so only 3-6 years old than my DD!), but I did almost get to the meet point with someone from on here (until he went very quiet after discovering I had a male friend!)
    Cheryl
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    My mutt loves almost all fruit and veg - preferably raw. Suits me, as he has allergies that could be food related - and as such all his food has to be additive free. Dog treats that fit the bill are really expensive, but whoopsied vag (especially carrots) are greeted with great delight :T

and mine :)
    the third I'm currently chatting to has a dog of his own - but that could cause friction at a meet, as mine is unpredictable around others. I may have to go and pick up a muzzle 'just in case' :o

Is the muzzle for the bloke Cheryl?:rotfl:

Good for you!
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • Winnie_in_Pooh
    Winnie_in_Pooh Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!

Fairly sucessful Mr T's trip yesterday, lots of whoopsies so am going to try and go at 6pm ish every time now! Will have a bash at putting them in the SoW in a bit and see what a difference that makes. Have even got DH on the bandwagon - he came home with bananas and white chocolate and proceeded to make muffins! Me = gobsmacked, didn't think he knew how to find the kitchen! :rotfl:

Have gone back to tracksuit chic though today because the selection of clothes wasn't really suited to burgeoning bumps. Need to try Mr A for that, or even better some charity shops but not sure leg will carry me that far just yet, maybe at the weekend :)

Doggles adores veg! And pizza. It makes her coat really shiney (the veg, not the pizza) and helps with her *ahem* digestion :D. Although she also eats stones and sand from the beach and occasionally a bit of cat if he doesn't move fast enough, so I'm not sure if she actually likes it or if she's just one of those that hoovers!

Got a good week this week, DS's school play today, scan on Thursday and the sun is due to come out :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport