Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

Options

Comments

• LauraM65
    LauraM65 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Not feeling great this morning so am off work today. Just been looking at the petrol diet in order to cut costs. I have put a note ton my dashboard to remind me of how much fuel I use when I accelerate or break hard. Need to check tyre pressure also. Wanted to put some carpet remnants in as car mats but will do when feeling better. Another cup of tea beckons...have a great day everyone. x

Sorry to hear that you are not feel too good today, hope you are improving as the day goes on. I've been off work for the last week with a chest infection but have found that by looking on here has given me a lot of inspiration to sort myself out. I've had a long hard look at my debt and am trying to see whether I can doing a frugal living challenge in order to get my costs of things down as most of our money goes on food. I have made a budget and doing a diary everyday on here for this month to see how I get on. :)
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    Even I'm a "tad" distracted at the moment...... was out for a 'meet' yesterday (went well), have another (someone different) lined up for next Saturday, and someone else hinting about the possibility !!!

dates? oooooh, I have forgotton what they are like :-) my stars keep hinting at romance but unless I meet someone on the school run it is pretty unlikely :-)
    Tumptyteapot

• Winnie_in_Pooh
    Winnie_in_Pooh Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Thank you all for the warm welcome :)!

DH and I completed the SoW (fabulous invention, thank you Cheryl!) on Friday and were rather encouraged by the results! Most importantly, we were in the black :D and our "unnecessary" spending was on some hard landscaping for the garden, so not really unnecessary at all! Have identified some definite areas for improvement, groceries being the main one and with that in mind I'm off to Mr T to see what I can accomplish on a cash budget.

Managed to only spend a little at the weekend, £1.50 on a mother's day card and 99p on some M&S biscuits! Naughty I know, but I'm claiming pregnancy cravings for those :rotfl:! Had a lovely roast dinner cooked for all three of us on Sunday and there was even some left over spring greens for doggles so everyone was happy.

Must pick up something stretchy while in Mr T's - Bob the Bump is growing at a rate of knots :D!

Win xx
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening everyone :)

Not a NSD for me today - needed some petrol on the way home from work and we need to go to Mr T's later for some food - we've not got that much left in the house. One down side to menu planning is that, by the end of the week, there's not much left! Guess that's a good thing, at least we're not throwing away unused food.

3 days left til Easter hols :j can't wait :D
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    had to get bread, couldnt afford the petrol to the supermarket and didnt want the temptation.. so popped in the tescos corner shop which i hate for many reasons... but came out happy with woopsied carrots, new potatoes, bread rolls and even a chocolate mouse for me! all for c.2.50 not bad. not great, but not bad.
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    It's mix it up, chop it up, cook it up to use it up month here in the Frugaldom household. :)
    :D i like that phrase! same here and for similar reasons, waiting to move so eating what's here so we dont have to pack it, plus not spending the cash as the renovations are eating it!
    silvasava wrote: »
    23rd - you've motivated me to go out & plant my salad leaves instead of just thinking about it - Thank you :)
    :) i dont really have green fingers so don't listen to me! good luck though!
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • mongmoney
    mongmoney Posts: 174 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm just curious really, I can't leave cash if I see it and wondered if any of you have the same thoughts.
    I am forever picking up coppers and stopped feeling dirty years ago> my tin loves them.
    I'm into grow your own and planted all my spuds out yesterday. Tasty salad spuds should arrive in 12 weeks time. I would recommend everyone to get growing, it is so easy. Start with salad leaves, spuds and carrots and you can't go wrong. And a word of warning, you will only need one rhubarb and one courgette plant, they are both prolific and need a metre of space each.
    NSD for me today, whoop whoop.
    Mongy
    Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mongmoney wrote: »
    Would you pick up change you find in the Street?
    I'm just curious really, I can't leave cash if I see it and wondered if any of you have the same thoughts.
    aka 'road kill' - sure thing :D
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    dates? oooooh, I have forgotton what they are like :-)
    I don't really consider the first meet-up as a 'date', just a chance to see how we get on face-to-face after emails, texts and phonecalls - but who knows where it will lead :) My preferred first meet involves a busy location where we can walk my dog (safety in numbers and all that), so I have extra 'security' with me too :D

Always interesting to see how they'll get on with the dog though, especially as his greeting to those of the male gender normally consists of :-

1. shove into whoever, to see if he gets a fuss - if he doesn't get much of one, he then continues to push for one until they cave in

2. on getting a good enough fuss, time to rub his nose into their groin area quite vigorously !!!! - if they try to step back or push him away he continues to try every time he gets close enough rolleyes2.gif

3. take a small step back while looking to see if he gets another fuss - if he gets this second fuss easily he then practically ignores them for the rest of the time we're out :rotfl:

I've tried pulling him back before he can start stage 2 a few times (when I bump into people I know by sight in the street - often just regular customers at work), but as soon as he gets enough slack on the lead he'll 'go for it' - so it's either let him get it over with or keep him on a very, very short lead the entire time blush.gif

The chap I met with yesterday passed with flying colours - and didn't even react when the mutt decided to climb all over him (while we were sitting outside a pub) after getting a tad muddy, meaning the chap was left with a rather dirty patch on his shirt and trousers !!!
    Cheryl
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't BELIEVE it - beep beep beeping slugs have eaten one of my beans completely & nibbled another two grrrrr - I've had to put some slug pellets down (which I hate) covered with a piece of old pot so the birds dont get poisoned - I know I've got some more sprouting indoors but thats not the point, how dare they have a munch before me!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I pick up money too! Not recently, as I am hardly walking anywhere, but a couple of years ago, I used to find money every day. Even if it was only 1p. I read a book somewhere where someone lived on £1 a day. She used to pick up money too,, saved it all up and at the end of a year, gave it to charity. Alas the charity is me! oops.
    Cheryl I am going to have to cut back my spending again. I must remember that a couple of years ago, I did manage to live on the £4,000 challenge. So its time I can do it again! But I am not looking forward to it.! I have got lazy lately.
    But DS has dropped out of college, and so I will loose the funding for him as he is over 18.
    I am scared to death of what the future will hold for all of us now.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure