Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

Options

Comments

• SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Puddleglum wrote: »
    Hi Everyone on this nice, new, squeaky clean thread.

I have yet to properly update my spreadsheet but am bang on the nose with the petrol expenditure and about £30 over on the groceries as I put in an extra order to AF when they had some nut roast mixes.

I am frantically searching for a missing library book. It is an excellent book, The Harvest Pantry by Barbara (Somebody). I have taken it out of the library many times over the past three years and have copied many recipes, so initially was not too worried when it was mislaid thinking that I would replace it and then if I found the original that would be ok. BUT. On Amazon a used copy of the book is £44 and new it is £107. This book must be found! The bloodpressure is going up as I type.

However, if a major cashectomy is in the offing, I have got an interview for a promotion at work. If successful the groceries budget will imediately go up from £30pw to £40. The way food prices are rising, it is getting too difficult to stay inside the limits. In Mr A last week a 500g tub of Stork had gone up from 75p to £1. Fortunately, it was only 80p in MrS but even that is an above inflation price hike.

Best wishes and hopes for a good second quarter.

Puddleglum

:rotfl:I just love that phrase! A major cashectomy! Brilliant. Puddlegum, I've often misplaced things, and used to sit on the floor, crying bitter tears, cos I couldn't find it, and wailing "I'm losing my mind". :( Now, I turn it to my advantage, and do a thorough clear out of a different room a day, pulling everything out of long-forgotten cupboards and drawers, finding things I'd forgotten I had/bought, and even if I still can't find the missing item, I'm feeling smug with a super-tidy home.

Hopefully, the book will turn up, and there have been some great suggestions about replacing it. How about a post on ebay? Someone might have a copy and be only too pleased to get rid of it?
    hi all popping back in for part 2 the first 3 months for me have been horrid i am no where near being on budget as i have had everything hit me at once hopefully the next few months will be better

Massive hugs to you. There's nothing worse than a lousy few months that started with good intentions. But the great thing about this thread is that you can file that quarter away in your mind, and start afresh. :) I used to waste time worrying myself about things I wish I'd done better, or hadn't done, but I always remember Granny's saying ..

"If you wish in one hand, and sh*t in the other, I know what'll get full first"!!!!:rotfl:

It's great that you've decided to re-join us, and nobody is here to judge and ridicule, only to offer support. :T Nobody can turn back time and get the last quarter back, so just tell yourself that your "year" is 9 months for 2011, and start again. :) I sometimes muse that if I had put off buying this, or not spent that, or not given DS or DD some funds, I'd be so much better off. Then I give myself a good talking to, cos I can't do anything about it, and at the time, it seemed like a good idea.

So, in the words of Edith Piaff "Je Ne Regrette Rien" - I regret nothing - and in the words of Scarlet O'Hara "Tomorrow Is Another Day". :) And in the words of SandraScarlett "Sod It"!!!!

Happy Mothers Day!!

xx
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to say it was a NSD for me but then I just remembered that I ordered Burglar Bill from Amazon for a neighbours birthday. My kids used to love that book so much. They didn't have it in the local bookshop but could order it and it would be 6.99 but I thought I may as well try Amazon and it was on sale 4.14.

My daughter took me out for lunch for Mothering Sunday, which has also reminded me I bought a quarter of sherbet lemons for me and a quarter of aniseed balls for OH from a new sweet shop which has opened, whilst we were having a mooch.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • mongmoney
    mongmoney Posts: 174 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Evening All,
    I'm beginning my quest in real earnest> downloaded the spreadsheet!
    Everything I spend is on my Mr T CC, which I keep a track of with the simple column method, as previously mentioned. The only problem is that the card runs from the 19th to the following 18th and I'm paid at the end of the month. I'm up to £222-65 already, mostly petrol and food. I haven't ever really looked at where I spend every well earned penny but I am going to from now on.
    Many thanks for all the tips.
    Mongy
    Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    I went to my folks for the weekend so the only major expense was petrol, which is quite a lot more than it was last time I went to see them. Ate out at the supermarket there and back as well as stopping off for toast this morning. Not over budget yet and I'll try to fend off the big shop until Friday. Dahl is cooking and I am just about to put rice on.
    I watched the channel 4 frugal program and I wish it was more tips from people - the eggshells down the sink trick works a treat to clear it!
    Tumptyteapot

• rubytuesday
    Options
    I went to my folks for the weekend so the only major expense was petrol, which is quite a lot more than it was last time I went to see them. Ate out at the supermarket there and back as well as stopping off for toast this morning. Not over budget yet and I'll try to fend off the big shop until Friday. Dahl is cooking and I am just about to put rice on.
    I watched the channel 4 frugal program and I wish it was more tips from people - the eggshells down the sink trick works a treat to clear it!

I love tips too Tumpty - I have quite a few old books of them and was always getting them out of the library. Some good threads on Old Style.
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    I was going to say it was a NSD for me but then I just remembered that I ordered Burglar Bill from Amazon for a neighbours birthday. My kids used to love that book so much. They didn't have it in the local bookshop but could order it and it would be 6.99 but I thought I may as well try Amazon and it was on sale 4.14.
    QUOTE]

I LOVE Burglar Bill, it is one of my favourites. Every night when I put DD2 to bed says "not burglar bill again" but we soon get into it with the voices etc. Even my 11 year old still loves it....It is a fabulous book, and what a great idea for a birthday present!!! Can you tell I am a huge fan! :rotfl:

Well I am shattered and still havent' done half of the things I had planned. I did shop, fill the new freezer with bread and milk so that I need to go the shops less often and so hopefully will spend less overall.

I bought easter bunnies and eggs from l*dl for £1.79 each for both DDs who were very happy with this and for 2 neices (my sister has also bought the same so they'll get 2 each!!!) but cheaper than a £5 egg, or worse we used to buy them a present or an outfit of their choice each. What were we thinking!!!

During the shopping trip could not find mobile phone anywhere, DD1 called it and it was ringing in the lining of my handbag (it had got through the smallest of holes in a pocket). Pulled it out along with my pen drive that I lost with my SOW on that I lost ages ago. Felt like Carrie Bradshaw when she found her beloved necklace in her vintage chanel purse!!!! Am so pleased to have found it, I'm off to and transfer last months budget and get this months sorted out.

Also got lots of lovely mother's day cards and presents, gave mum hers and sister her birthday presents so all over in one day. Need to go and wash car as can hardly see what colour it is. I might just pretend it's brown.

Have a great evening everyone. :)
  • LauraM65
    LauraM65 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    I watched the channel 4 frugal program and I wish it was more tips from people - the eggshells down the sink trick works a treat to clear it![/QUOTE

Hiya! I watched the frugal program and have to say I was a bit disappointed, I think I was expecting more tips and advice on how to save money, will watch again this week and hope it improves.:)
  • LauraM65
    LauraM65 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Day 3 of frugal living. After yesterdays expense I updated my budget spreadsheet and even though still in target will need to be extra careful with money. Had to put petrol in car, hubby put in £5 less than normal as I am not in work at moment due to being on the sick so it should last the whole week. Refused to buy a turkish delight at the garage as well as they wanted 79p for it.

Today has been a quiet day, we went to my mother-in-laws who gave us lunch, so free food. Just had a light poached egg on toast for tea as ate too much at lunch time. Hubby finished off digging the other vegetable plot so will soon be getting it planted up.

Just been looking at the batch cooking area thinking I may do some of this before I go back to work and any recipes you may have for this will be welcome. Still have not done letters to credit card companies to get charges back or applied for a cashbuild card, a definite job for tomorrow.
    :beer:
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    Options
    I love tips too Tumpty - I have quite a few old books of them and was always getting them out of the library. Some good threads on Old Style.
    What books do you have? I have all the war time make do and mend ones (they were in the Works last year very reduced) and Eating for Victory, I always make bread with some mashed potato in the dough too since reading that one, there are some great cooking tips!
    Tumptyteapot

• rubytuesday
    Options
    What books do you have? I have all the war time make do and mend ones (they were in the Works last year very reduced) and Eating for Victory, I always make bread with some mashed potato in the dough too since reading that one, there are some great cooking tips!

Yes I have those and a really good book simply called Kitchen Hints, some Mrs Beaton ones,the Diary Book of Home management and Country Wisdom.
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business