Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

Options

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Five pages in before I got around to posting, just as well CW took over, methinks! :)

Hope everyone hit their own targets in the first quarter and that you're all fired up and ready to do similar in part 2. Thanks, Cheryl, for taking over the reins during my sporadic absences. Still not moved house, still waiting patiently for progress to be made, still frugaling like made to afford to make this final move.

On target first quarter and have set myself a mini-challenge to make first quarter grocery savings up to £100. It means I have £72 for this month. It's mix it up, chop it up, cook it up to use it up month here in the Frugaldom household. :)

Good luck to everyone for this month.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • tumptyteapot
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    Can I ask what difference does mashed potato make to the bread? I would be interested in trying it as I always have a bit of left over mash. Also as I am a bit lazy could you add it to a breadmaker loaf or is it just a hand kneaded one? Thanks
    I find it gives me a nice texture - like ciabatta - I've tried half and half potato/flour and that works ok - it is just a bit sticky to knead - you can also put in mashed sweet potato and butternut squash
    Tumptyteapot

• rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I managed to make a lovely meal of chicken breasts in the George Forman I've borrowed last night with steamed veg and steamed baby new potatoes but have no idea what I'll be doing tonight as I still have no gas.

I spent Saturday clearing out the cellar to create a clear path - it had been very embarrassing for a while when the gas man had to go down there. It was on my to do list but far down as I have more visible areas of chaos that needed doing first but I'm very pleased with myself.

Thank goodness it wasn't the other week or I wouldn't have been able to do it. My foot still hurts but I have been able to walk outside on it now.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All - Well I did spend 1.50 yesterday on my Sunday paper (my only treat!) & DS2 came round with card, flowers & choccys - bless him. DS1 phoned me - as usual that's the best I get from him! Still, they did both remember & I'm a lot luckier than many Mums. I downloaded my CC statement & the b*gg*rs had taken £12.00 in late payment fee 'cos I was 2 days late - although before the statement was printed (away on holiday & I forgot!) so I rang this morning & had a whinge - esp as I always pay in full & the very nice lady cancelled the charge - Result!!! It might only be £12 but its MY £12.00.
    Hopefully a NSD today - or at least a LSD!

23rd - you've motivated me to go out & plant my salad leaves instead of just thinking about it - Thank you :)

Happy Monday everyone
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    cheryl I may need to ask you for some help! I am going a bit mad with it. Serves me right for not updating as I was going along. I might have noticed at the beginning of March instead of now!.
    Not a problem :) I'll PM you my email address, and if you want to send it over I'll try and work some magic on it for you before returning it ;)
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    Five pages in before I got around to posting, just as well CW took over, methinks! :)
    Even I'm a "tad" distracted at the moment...... was out for a 'meet' yesterday (went well), have another (someone different) lined up for next Saturday, and someone else hinting about the possibility !!!
    Cheryl
  • tumptyteapot
    tumptyteapot Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 April 2011 at 1:20PM
    Options
    just been into town with NO MONEY! that is a first for years and years :-) In Bristol we are lucky enough to have this http://wearelightbox.co.uk/page/ which is 10 different free workshops about happiness, so I went to the first one today. Today will be a NSD - going to the library on the way to pick up my son from school and that is free! I have a new game converting my monthly NSD's into a percentage, I want to try to beat Marchs percentage this month.
    Been reading the River Cottage bread book so I'm going to make a sponge for bread making tomorrow - I've not done it like that before - you make a batter of half the flour and some yeast and leave it overnight when you can add the rest of the ingredients.
    Tumptyteapot

• patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for shiny new thread cant believe it is upto 5 pages already and in 4th month of year:eek:
    welcome all newbies hope you have good frugal year only advice I can give and I am no expert as most of you on here, is try and check your spends at least weekly if not daily while still fresh in your mind definatly helped me putting everything to paper although it does get a bit addictive
    went to London on sat to see a show all paid for all ready and used clubcard tokens for meal so relatively cheapish day out
    FrancticflyerSue56 hope all goes well I am being made redundant later in year at 51 in same boat as you package not enough but will need something too, interested to see how you get on good luck.

seeds are all coming up on windowsill got a week off work soon hoping to get garden and allotment up to scratch

Have a frugal week everyonex
    Frugal challenge 2024

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    Not a problem :) I'll PM you my email address, and if you want to send it over I'll try and work some magic on it for you before returning it ;)

Thanks I will sort that out, maybe you can see what I have done. Also it may kick me up the proverbial, as my money is about to drop by £5,000 and I have been overspending, so what happened to the MSE in me? Ooops. I fell off the wagon!! Big time.:eek::o
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • LauraM65
    LauraM65 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Day 4 of frugal living - today I have made a couple of recipes up for tea tonight and tomorrow, also made a quiche for lunch. Another no spend day other than stuff thats going out of the bank today.

This website is so addictive I cant stop reading all the interesting threads and people's inspiring stories, its real life and its good to know that I am not alone in my quests. I wish everyone well with their challenges, keep up the good work.:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure