We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Evans DFW Diary - Flybabies in every way!!

1234568

Comments

  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    That sounds a pretty good arrangement with powergen - we switched supplier at the end of last year and it has proved very costly. I would have much preferred to do it your way, but need to claw my way out of underpayment before I can move!

    I hope you have a productive week off!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • ~evanesco~
    ~evanesco~ Posts: 814 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    It will be if they stick to it, which I hope they do. It's not hard is it? You pay for what you use!! We have got a huge bill from EDF, which they're not suppose to do, they're not supposed to let you leave them if you owe them money, well I wouldn't owe them money if they set my direct debits correctly in the first place instead of putting me on £15.

    Lost a 1lb this week which is always good. Budget all done, last month we went over budget by £11.27, which is good for us.
    DFW Nerd 357
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Good news on the lb off and also on the budget. I am desperately trying to work out July's budget. Having gone way off in May/June I really need to sort things out properly, face facts and knuckle right down. I get a bit hung up on making overpayments without remembering that we still have to live and eat.....then I end up with bank charges that I cannot afford, and have not budgetted for which muck me up even more!

    So, July I am determined to get it right.........:o
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • ~evanesco~
    ~evanesco~ Posts: 814 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    It's not easy this DFW stuff, budgeting and wotnot!!
    DFW Nerd 357
  • Dunno where I've been, but you can tell I've been away!! Debts have risen ever so slightly. As has the weight! But now, again we're back on track!! I've now got double the hours at work, which means more to pay of the debts. OH is also starting work in the next few weeks too, so that's even more!! DFW date should be sooner than June 2008, but I'm a pessimist, and something is probably guaranteed to go wrong! I've got my budget up March next year done. Them damned CC's will be clear again. I've done a full budget, including budgeting for Xmas, and them flipping Birthdays that people will insist on having. I've included driving lessons this time too, since I really should learn to drive. We're currently paying off between £700 - £850 a month off our debts, that's before OH has started work, which is pretty good really. Must give CC's to friends freezer again, they're still in my purse, that's not good. Must learn to budget again, since we've not been budgeting, and here's why. Since I was attacked, I had my nose job, got me an all new nose, woohoo, it looks good really, not perfect, but then it wasn't before. I also got awarded an interim payment from the CICA while they decide what they will award me finally. Now a sensible DFW would pay this of her debts, but I decided that after being attacked I should treat us all. So we went on a little holiday. I bought a beautiful dog (definitely not DFW, but I would never have afforded him otherwise, I can of course afford to feed him). The woman who attacked me will be summoned to court soonish, it's taken a while, but she only appeared in court a month ago for a similar attack, so not so good for her. And now after my holiday, none of my clothes fitting and my bank balance looking like it used to, I'm all ready to begin again. I'll try and keep more in touch this time.

    Evans. xox
    DFW Nerd 357
  • Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hey you! Great to see you back! Sorry to hear about the debts rising, but actually you seem to be in a positive state of mind regarding it all and actually I think that going on the holiday was the best thing you could have done with the money - it was an awful experience, and I think that you all needed the break! You can always use the next installment for a bit of debt paying. And a dog always helps to lower stress :)

    Sea xxx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

    2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • Phew!! Student grant went in today, so the rent is all up to date again (told you we'd been overspending). That's great, so we will be well and truely on track to begin being DFW's fulltime again after payday. Had a mega budget shuffle day today, and in the month of May next year, we should have no repayments to make!! However, as it's my life there will be something that will go wrong!! I know for certain that I have over calculated our housing benefits, since after next month I don't think we'll be eligible. Not too much of a problem though, it's £160 a month, which only adds about 1 month onto our DFD if we stop receiving it. I'm not 100% sure what will happen to our tax credits either, still not receiving them and being fully financially viable will be a big psychological boost for us. Not that I have a problem claiming benefits if they are there to be claimed, but to not depend on the state surely means we've lifted our family above the so called poverty line. We'll see what happens there. I just hope nothing happens where I can't work. I depend on it so much. I've been so strict just lately. When OH has asked for something new out of the catalogue, I've just said no, whereas I would usually have gone, go on, we're paying it off anyway. Little things are slowly clicking into place now. Especially looking at houses has helped. I know I have to be the MSE/DFW in our house for this to work, but sometimes, I feel like such a scrooge. It's not like we can't afford things. We just have had the wrong mindset, just get it on credit, I really believe it's over now. I can see the light, I can see the plan, all laid out, and I feel strangely so much more positive. Maybe I really have had my real lightbulb moment, instead of the flickering I've had for the past year....
    DFW Nerd 357
  • Grrrrr, I'm sick of this!! Every month it's the same, it's the second to last week of the month and there isn't enough money in the bank to cover everything. And I know why, my budget sheet allows for everything, I'm not over this month at all, but, where this week loads of things go out, and next week nothing, so when some money comes in my account next week, it should have been spent on the direct debits this week, with me? Help me!! I know there is a really easy and sensible way to avoid this next month, but my brain can't figure it out!! If I ring some people can I get the payment dates changed to 7 days later in future, will they do that? Because that would pretty much solve it. It's annoying more than anything, because our budget is so tight. I'm getting an advance this month to cover me, but I hate the pyschological impact this has on me. I hate borrowing from next month to pay for this month, then my poor fuddled brain gets confused! I'm trying to studying and all I can think about is how to pay myself back for the money I've borrowed from next month, crazy innit!! Annnnndd, lol, my credit card is slowly edging it's way from the first day of one month, to the last day of the month, now that will befuddled my brain, and my spreadsheet!! Another thing, I'm proud of myself for this, I used my credit card to buy something for xmas the other day, and then took the money straight out of my xmas budget and paid it straight off my credit card, how good am I!! Wouldn't have normally done that. :T Bit of a ramble there, hope you understood it! So yer, ringing the mobile people, and maybe additions, get the payment dates moved, good idea?
    DFW Nerd 357
  • Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I don't know if they will let you change the payment dates - do you know where the money is going? Is it that you get na advance and then don't have the money to then pay the next month's outgoings?

    Sea xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

    2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • No, it's not that. It's that I have money going in each week, I have my spreadsheet, but in the final week of the month, when the money goes in, there aren't actually any payments to be made, hence, in theory excess money. But the week before that, there isn't enough money to pay the bills that week. I guess what I should do is not use that money for anything, which will put me ahead next month.Thing is, say you've got x amount each month, and you've got y amount of bills to pay, and z amount goes in each week. Ooooo, I know, instead of making overpayments with the monthly payments, I'll make them at the end of the month. I'm such a doink, lol, then I can see exactly how much is left. I'm sure that was my initial plan months ago anyways!
    DFW Nerd 357
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.