PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Super Scrimpers

Options

Comments

• alyssajones37
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »

ETA - No mention of a Performing Rights Society licence for playing the music at the wedding.

The licence should be paid for by the venue, as it is a private party and of course he would have used downloads that he had purchased, other wise he would need to spending quite a bit to be legal.

Ipod discos' can work and are an excellent way of budgeting. A simple search for "ipod wedding" will bring up lots of hits and give lots of advice. I'd also look at the advice from professional Dj's, Ipod discos come with a lot of risks.

Quite gutted I stuck with the whole episode tonight to see how the entertainment went but for some reason the cameras seemed to leave after the first dance.
  • camNolliesMUMMY
    camNolliesMUMMY Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 August 2012 at 8:49AM
    Options
    I watched the wedding one the other day and was quit surprised they didn't mention eBay for buying dresses? My wedding dress was brand new still had tags on for £990 I won for £105 inc postage.
    Weddings can be done cheaply and haggle.
    We had our wedding at a stately home/hotel our wedding should have come to around £11k (cancelation), we got everything we needed for under £2.2kinc flowers & centrepieces I did myself/candy buffet(vases from charity shops and sweets from makro)/I did quit a lot of personal touches on a shoe string even party bags for 14 kids and they all had a blast....you should have seen their eyes light up when they saw they had whoopie cushions lol

It can be done haggle and look for cancellations....if you don't ask you don't get simples.!!
    :)
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I quite like those huge tissue balls. When she was explaining how to make them though she only fluffed out one half and said you could join two together to make a whole one. Why not just fluff out the other side?

I've still got to see episode 4, which now appears to be online at last.
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Options
    I don't think I would wear any of the earrings that have been made!

Might do the limonchello toh.
  • London_Town
    Options
    I've just enjoyed reading this thread and agree with so much that has already been posted.

I still feel that Mrs M is simply not cut out to be a TV presenter. Her manner and voice are lacking in the necessary charisma. There's nothing about her on screen persona that could be described as warm or caring in my opinion. The only time I felt differently was in the episode that briefly featured her son. It was quite touching to see her as a mum and she may well be a lovely person in real life, but I don't think she's cut out for TV work.

Just for the record, I don't think Martin Lewis is either. I think Martin talks too fast and is too intense. He did a programme a few years ago that I thought was very poor.

Like a number of other posters, I'd like to see Alvin Hall back on TV. Alvin was a lovely man with a warm and charming manner. His American accent and attractive voice just added to his appeal. He also seemed to really care about the people he was trying to help.

I also enjoyed Spendaholics for the format, although the presenters weren't anything special.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phoolgrrrl wrote: »
    I don't think I would wear any of the earrings that have been made!

Those hairgrip earrings looked utterly ridiculous!
  • miss_emmajane
    Options
    I was talking with my Mum about this series earlier today, we both agree than it has gone downhill badly. I am not sure I will continue to watch it - I am not learning anything that will help and I am still miffed they got rid of the older ladies who gave great tips on cheaper cuts of meat etc - that was such a bad move!
  • laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    I couldn't believe the hairgrip earrings, or turning a (more expensive) T shirt into a (cheaper) vest, either.

I did like the pompoms, though the rest of the decorations were overegged, and although the elderflower champagne was made in old plastic bottles, I did wonder whether the price of the expensive bottles it was served in was included.

*However*, the biggest omission in cost was the loss of wedding presents. I can't remember the last time my gift didn't fit in an envelope, as most couples these days ask for honeymoon donations. I don't know how much other people give, but any couple who asked me for a bowl of pasta salad instead would be missing out...
    import this
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    I seen on the TV programme Super Scrimpers on how to make your own washing powder.

Did anybody here see it and remember how to do it?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Bryando,

I haven't watched the series so can't help, but one of the regulars on this thread may be able to:

Sorry if someone's started a Superscrimpers thread alreadyHome-made washing powder

Alternatively have a look at these threads for recipes:

Laundry Gloop - Gloopy Thread !!!

Help No Washing powder left-No Money

I'll add your thread to the first link later.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport