MSE News: Winter fuel payments cut in secret Budget measure

Options

Comments

• aloise
    aloise Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I live in a road of mainly elderly people. Several of them couldn't afford to pay their fuel bills yet they can afford to pay for Christmas presents, having just used the allowance on presents.

Must admit this is what i do. Most pensioners pay monthly for their energy and it would make more sense if we were given a decent rise to put us in line with most of the eu pensioners who are on better pensions than the UK. However i don't feel guilty about this as so much is paid out to other less deserving people who have never paid into the system at all.
    Next it will be bus passes and TV licence. if they are going to take all this away, give us a decent pension and let us manage our own money. After working for 52 years and my husband still working at 75 i object to always being in the firing line for cuts.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    But are we always in the firing line for cuts? Our basic State Pension, is, as I understand, guaranteed to rise by one of three indexes, whichever is the greatest. This is more than most people in work are guaranteed.

And as I think has already been mentioned in this thread, people in other EU countries have to pay much more in National Insurance than we do, and do not then get any other allowances. Swings and roundabouts.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    We're in a council property and had a new back gate (backing onto public footpath) installed, they did the whole row of houses. It was installed incorrectly. We could lock it but it was a real struggle. So we went onto the "spreadsheet" for outdoor jobs. 2 years later and we just could not get the gate locked anymore. So we phone again and they've run out of money for outdoor repairs and it may be 2 years or never before it's fixed.
    So we engaged a handyman who fixed it for a tenner. Not only was the bolt out of allignment with the latch, handyman had to bring latch forwards with cardboard so it would fit.
    Had someone broken in to our back garden and caused damage to the garden/house who do you think would have been blamed and made to pay for the damage?
    We pay full rent as well!

Dont be so dramatic, a locked gate wont stop a potential burglar climbing over the wall/fence. Lots of people dont have a lockable gate in private homes so not sure why you should NEED one?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dark_lady wrote: »
    Housing associations do NOT do repairs at a minutes notice Iris.
    I am housing association. Last month on the 19th Feb i noticed my toilet was on the slant and then we realised the bathroom floor was giving way.We are a TOP FLOOR flat. HA rep came out two days later hummed and hawed and went away saying they would phone us with details of when the repair would be done as it was an emergency.They never phoned. I had to chase THEM. I finally recieved a works order through the post saying they couldnt do it till 4th March which at that point was over a week away. I take it you would have been perfectly happy with that then Iris if YOU were the tenant living underneath me??? No????? Mmm. Thought not. I contacted Environmental Health who then got onto the HA who got it arranged to start the following day.
    I have NO problem with the plumbing company or the plumber who did the job. He was a real grafter and did an excellent job.
    But housing associations do NOT do it at a moments notice even if it is an emergency. That floor could have given way at any time taking the toilet with it, possibly killing the man underneath us and the person sitting on the toilet or at the very least cutting them to smithereens, broken bones etc. Not to mention the possible infections and huge health hazard caused by sewage everywhere.:eek:
    So Iris if you had been living underneath us last month you would have been humming a different tune!

Yes, but the responsibility is NOT yours and neither will you have to pay the bill.

Having to wait a couple of weeks for a FREE repair does not seem out of order to me.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    tiff wrote: »
    Dont be so dramatic, a locked gate wont stop a potential burglar climbing over the wall/fence. Lots of people dont have a lockable gate in private homes so not sure why you should NEED one?

I don't think I've ever lived anywhere with a lockable gate, in fact, most people don't even shut theirs unless they have a dog.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    I holday in the winter and meet lots of OAPs who use their winter fuel payment for their flights or to buy digital cameras. It's a standing joke amongst them.

There is no need to buy votes in this way (IMHO) and the whole payment should be scrapped. Pensioners who cannot afford their bills should be helped but not necessarily financially. They have 50 years of work to plan for retirement.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Each to their own re gates, however I would like to say these days it's considered quite sensible to lock gates :) Especially when they back onto a public footpath. Any Police force will tell you that.
    If they want to climb over then fine but i'm not going to make it any easier by leaving a gate unlocked!
    We didn't ask for a new gate and we certainly didn't ask them to install it incorrectly!
    iris wrote: »
    Yes, but the responsibility is NOT yours and neither will you have to pay the bill.

Having to wait a couple of weeks for a FREE repair does not seem out of order to me.

So with that viewpoint I am assuming you would have been happy, as darklady asked, to be living under her in those circumstances?
    And actually not all people in council/HA properties live rent free, many pay full rent for just such repairs, so it is not a free repair.
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    The Winter Fuel Payment has not actually been cut. It has reverted to it's original figure following the temporary increase due to high fuel costs and the bad weather.

Personally I had no need of the £250, despite keeping my heating on constant for three months at temperatures of 22C during the day and 20-21C at night. My monthly gas and electric payments are £70 and at the last reading earlier this month I was £42 in credit. Thanks mainly to a modern efficient boiler and good insulation.

I have an elderly cousin and her husband who received the £400 payment and ended up owing just £9.00. She said that they were please as the remaining £391 would be her spending money on their forthcoming cruise! I suspect that there are thousands of pensioners in similar positions to these.

I fail to see why pensioners living in Spain or Portugal receive the payments. I also fail to see why my widowed Step Mother who lives in Canada receives not only a British Pension but also the Winter Fuel Payment on the strength that she married my father. She has only been to the UK three times.
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    That last point is scandalous, no way should you get it living in a different country. My Step Dad got the payment when he was still working full time. They didnt need it at all, such a waste of money.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    dark_lady wrote: »
    That floor could have given way at any time taking the toilet with it, possibly killing the man underneath us and the person sitting on the toilet or at the very least cutting them to smithereens, broken bones etc. Not to mention the possible infections and huge health hazard caused by sewage everywhere.

... which probably could have caused a tidal wave, disrupting river flows, pulling the moon out of orbit and causing the end of civilisation as we know it.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure