MSE News: Winter fuel payments cut in secret Budget measure

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Nonsense corrected.

Why are they causing misery? The bonus is currently completely unneeded. Pensioners receive £570 per month plus housing. How can they not afford heating (even 18 hrs most days) on that sort of income? It has been announced that the basic pension is being increased to £600. This is (as far as I see) not affected by any additional pensions so that is a minimum. What is more couples are having a 25% increase.

Of course the poverty bodies should stop spouting nonsense about child poverty. Whether cuts are made to families with children is debateable. One thing that is definite is the lies that the current sums are inadequate or unfair.

As should disgusting lies about pensioners not being able to afford to heat and eat. £880 (plus housing expenses) per month and a couple can not afford to heat a couple of rooms in their home. Complete nonsense.

Not al pensioners get their housing costs paid!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 March 2011 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Marisco wrote: »
    Why do people assume that if you have no private pension or savings, that you are !!!!less or a waster??? I've heard this argument many times, but they fail to take into account that years ago, people did not earn enough TO save, and many places did not offer private pensions! Also women who are now in their 70/80's very often did not work, and never worked as they were "housewives", so did not build up any NI.

Many are attributing traits of "today", to how things were in the 40/50's, which were very different. The old people of today worked a dammed sight harder than people do now! Personally, I'm all in favour of means testing, that way money will go to those who really need it.
    I am an old person, ive got pensions and savings. Women who paid the "Married" stamp had a clear choice, and some chose to pay the lower stamp., their choice. They could have gone to work when their children were old enough, as mine did.
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 March 2011 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Not al pensioners get their housing costs paid!

Well said.

When you own your own home there is always something that needs attention.

Recently we had a leak on our copper cylinder. This had to be replaced and was quite expensive. There was no Council or Housing Association in the wings waiting to organise and pay for the replacement at a minutes notice.

Having said that, I prefer to have a choice where I live.

With regard to growing old - you don't have a choice. However, you do have a choice whether you have children!!
  • dark_lady
    dark_lady Posts: 961 Forumite
    Options
    Housing associations do NOT do repairs at a minutes notice Iris.
    I am housing association. Last month on the 19th Feb i noticed my toilet was on the slant and then we realised the bathroom floor was giving way.We are a TOP FLOOR flat. HA rep came out two days later hummed and hawed and went away saying they would phone us with details of when the repair would be done as it was an emergency.They never phoned. I had to chase THEM. I finally recieved a works order through the post saying they couldnt do it till 4th March which at that point was over a week away. I take it you would have been perfectly happy with that then Iris if YOU were the tenant living underneath me??? No????? Mmm. Thought not. I contacted Environmental Health who then got onto the HA who got it arranged to start the following day.
    I have NO problem with the plumbing company or the plumber who did the job. He was a real grafter and did an excellent job.
    But housing associations do NOT do it at a moments notice even if it is an emergency. That floor could have given way at any time taking the toilet with it, possibly killing the man underneath us and the person sitting on the toilet or at the very least cutting them to smithereens, broken bones etc. Not to mention the possible infections and huge health hazard caused by sewage everywhere.:eek:
    So Iris if you had been living underneath us last month you would have been humming a different tune!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 25 March 2011 at 6:04PM
    Options
    We're in a council property and had a new back gate (backing onto public footpath) installed, they did the whole row of houses. It was installed incorrectly. We could lock it but it was a real struggle. So we went onto the "spreadsheet" for outdoor jobs. 2 years later and we just could not get the gate locked anymore. So we phone again and they've run out of money for outdoor repairs and it may be 2 years or never before it's fixed.
    So we engaged a handyman who fixed it for a tenner. Not only was the bolt out of allignment with the latch, handyman had to bring latch forwards with cardboard so it would fit.
    Had someone broken in to our back garden and caused damage to the garden/house who do you think would have been blamed and made to pay for the damage?
    We pay full rent as well!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nonsense corrected.

Why are they causing misery? The bonus is currently completely unneeded. Pensioners receive £570 per month plus housing. How can they not afford heating (even 18 hrs most days) on that sort of income? It has been announced that the basic pension is being increased to £600. This is (as far as I see) not affected by any additional pensions so that is a minimum. What is more couples are having a 25% increase.

Of course the poverty bodies should stop spouting nonsense about child poverty. Whether cuts are made to families with children is debateable. One thing that is definite is the lies that the current sums are inadequate or unfair.

As should disgusting lies about pensioners not being able to afford to heat and eat. £880 (plus housing expenses) per month and a couple can not afford to heat a couple of rooms in their home. Complete nonsense.

Oh excuse me - I certainly don't receive housing benefit. Oh silly me! We were stupid enough to USE OUR OWN MONEY to pay off our mortgage (even at a stonking 12% interest) ourselves. My pension as from 5th April will be the massive great sum of £5,915 per annum. No housing benefit. Council tax reduction of £40 per month (25% reduction only). Do I have savings? Yes - approximately £3,000 only. Private pension? Yes £68 per month.

I am getting sick and tired of hearing that my generation is the fount of all the financial problems. Why does this generation not get off their backsides and actually DO something about their own plight? Or are they all too tied to their technological whizzes to do anything but moan?

Me - yes I am doing something ...I'm GETTING ANOTHER JOB!
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I've tried to get some of them to switch suppliers, but all (except one) were very stubborn and won't do this. They won't even switch to direct debit* or another tariff with the same supplier.

I've tried this too with a family friend and her neighbour (also elderly). Their argument is that British Gas installed the pipes and it's unfair for another company to use them. :o

These people belong to a generation where there was "trust" and a reward for "loyalty". Sadly these days the loyal and trustworthy customers are screwed by all corporations - if they can screw more cash out of someone they will.

The AA is among the biggest hypocrites - whilst Edmund King parades himself on TV and radio claiming to stand up for this and that, his corporation is busy trying to squeeze as much extra cash out of the same hard-pressed motorists he claims to be helping via his campaigns.
  • drussii
    drussii Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    The old misconceptions are rearing their heads again. When this rag tag mob came into power they started the old " anyone on benefits are scrounging scumbags! ". This cry was taken up by the " special " people who vicariously hang on to the tory coat tails. What they don't do is look into the truth that sits before them. I get £95.27 a week housing benefit towards my £575.00 per month rent, not all rent paid for. Take a look at Cameron and Osborn, Cameron gets £20,500 a year second home allowance - housing benefit to you and me. Osborn gets £23,500 a year towards his farm and mansion - housing benefit to you and me. Given that almost every weekend we see them on the tv in London, where they live within cycling distance of parliament, why do they need a second home that they rarely visit. Both of them also claim in excess of £ 1,000 for their winter fuel costs for houses that they rarely visit. Dual standards? all in this together?. Means test all benefits I say and include these thieving politicians in the tests.
  • property.advert
    Options
    Nonsense corrected.

A lot of people who actually pay for everything have less disposable income that this to pay their bills.
  • lu_lu_2
    lu_lu_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Having read through the posts I am extremely concerned at the attitude of many of the posters.

One person mentioned that they had tried to persuade their neighbours to transfer to another supplier/monthly direct debits.

Many people in their 80's do not have an internet connection or do not trust it.

Also as one gets older, my father is 86, one slows down and you no longer have the fight in you to battle with providers, all you are able to do is ensure that you eat adequately and hope that you wake up tomorrow!

Why should my father receive less winter fuel alowance than anybody else because he has a small amount of savings. We as a family went without for him to put some money aside for his old age. He could have beern totally irresposible & spent every penny he earned on non essentials. I personally know of a Deputy Head of School, salary cica 60/70000, who is so in debt that he is close to having his 3 bed semi repossed and maintains that why should he make provision for his old age as either his kids (no chance as they are equally incompetent with money) or the Govt. will keep him.

All payments should be means tested but what should be taken into consideration is the salary they have earned in their working life time. Therefore a person who has, unfortunately, only ever been able to earn minimum wage would receive assistance as would a person who had made some endeavours to provide for retirement. Those who have made no provision for retirement or have been fortunate enough to earn very high salaries/pesions should receive very little.

Before removing any benefits from Senior Citizens, especially the over 80's, unmarried mothers should have all their benefits removed. I unfortunately live in an area where we now have 3 generations of unmarried mothers ie SERIOUS SCROUNGERS.

If you have not paid into the system you should get nothing out!!!!

I endeavour to help my father with his paperwork but as I live 200 miles away & he forgets to send/bring his latest bills with him when he visits it is not easy but I do my best.

Lulu
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport