MSE News: Winter fuel payments cut in secret Budget measure

Options
13468912

Comments

  • lu_lu_2
    lu_lu_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Re post No. 37 - Kim Yeovil

    You always assume that people receive every benefit available - many don't because they have a small amount of savings.

    Many people in their 80's are not only unaware of what they can claim but are too old to manage to do so.

    I hope that between posting rubbish on this website you ensure that you help the Senior aged members of your family to make the best use of their savings & help them claim all the benefits to which they are entitled.

    Lulu
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    lu_lu wrote: »
    All payments should be means tested but what should be taken into consideration is the salary they have earned in their working life time. Therefore a person who has, unfortunately, only ever been able to earn minimum wage would receive assistance as would a person who had made some endeavours to provide for retirement. Those who have made no provision for retirement or have been fortunate enough to earn very high salaries/pesions should receive very little.

    Why should someone that earned minimum wage be entitled, but not someone who earned a good salary? Surely that is penalising people for being intelligent and/ or having the motivation to achieve something?

    I do agree with means testing, but your idea is ridiculous!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    lu_lu wrote: »

    If you have not paid into the system you should get nothing out!!!!

    Not my fault I became disabled before I could start my working life, thanks a bunch, the elderly do not have the monopoly on illness!
  • sardine
    sardine Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    lu_lu wrote: »
    Re post No. 37 - Kim Yeovil

    You always assume that people receive every benefit available - many don't because they have a small amount of savings.

    Many people in their 80's are not only unaware of what they can claim but are too old to manage to do so.

    I hope that between posting rubbish on this website you ensure that you help the Senior aged members of your family to make the best use of their savings & help them claim all the benefits to which they are entitled.

    Lulu

    We are OAP's, and strongly object to the assumption that only those over 80 are clueless when it comes to claiming benefits. We are in our 60's and we are clueless about what you have to do to get accepted for both DLA & AA!

    I originally thought that the government would believe our statements. But no, everybody are liars. Then through this site I find out that only those that constantly report to the GP & Consultants how their 'disablities' affect their lives manage to get the benefits.

    I am lucky that I have the strength of character to fight and expose the unfairness of it all.

    Can we find anybody to help us? No we can't for one reason or another.
    So we are left to fight it on our own.
  • sardine
    sardine Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Existing funds? You have to be kidding. I think you need to consider the many pensioners who have an income of £197 per week before any outgoings, not the publicised few who are well off.

    In fact the Government stipulate that the minimum that a couple, one of whom is over 61, need to live one is £202.40pw, and that with this, they will pay no Council Tax or Rent.

    In addition they can have £10,000 in savings without it affecting the payments.

    I don't know many pensioners that can't manage on that, and at the same time pay £87pm on a fuel budget account (which is 10% of their income - anything over 10% is said to be leading towards fuel poverty!)
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sardine wrote: »
    In fact the Government stipulate that the minimum that a couple, one of whom is over 61, need to live one is £202.40pw, and that with this, they will pay no Council Tax or Rent.

    In addition they can have £10,000 in savings without it affecting the payments.

    I don't know many pensioners that can't manage on that, and at the same time pay £87pm on a fuel budget account (which is 10% of their income - anything over 10% is said to be leading towards fuel poverty!)

    As a now single person I shall receive £139 per week from 5th April. I AM paying Council tax - of £120 per month - just receive the 25% rebate. Because we paid off our mortgage when we bought this property I get no housing benefit - and although it is paid for, it still needs maintenance! My capital is now less than £5k.

    The figures you are quoting are for those IN FUTURE - maybe 2013 - but not now! Oh yes - and I'm paying £60 per month electric DD and have to put away £80 per month for oil - so yes, I am in fuel poverty!

    And two months after the death of my husband, I am still awaiting a reconciliation from DWP as to how much pension I should have received since his death up to 5th April......
  • BodyElectric
    BodyElectric Posts: 122 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2011 at 11:46PM
    Options
    lu_lu wrote: »
    unmarried mothers should have all their benefits removed.

    What a nasty comment and what an archaic expression.

    Do you mean single parents who could be divorced, widowed, separated, abandoned, any number of permutations or even male.

    Not that it matters.

    This is the divisiveness the present government seems to want to engender. It's very sad.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not al pensioners get their housing costs paid!

    nor do many people on sickness benefits but people assume they do, including you on some threads yet on others you mention your own cercs.

    People that have looked after their own finances and worked hard of any age are screwed come sickness or old age, the fcekless get everything.
  • sardine
    sardine Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    As a now single person I shall receive £139 per week from 5th April. I AM paying Council tax - of £120 per month - just receive the 25% rebate. My capital is now less than £5k.

    The figures you are quoting are for those IN FUTURE - maybe 2013 - but not now! Oh yes - and I'm paying £60 per month electric DD and have to put away £80 per month for oil - so yes, I am in fuel poverty!
    If that is the sum total of your income from this April onwards, then I would suggest that you contact the Council and make a claim for Council Tax Benefit.
    The figure for the current year (ending 5/4/11) is that the MINIMUM that you are entitled to receive in total (apart from DLA/AA) is £132.60pw. Anything below that and you should be claiming Guaranteed Pension Credit.

    As you are so close to that figure and providing that your capital figure is right, you SHOULD be entitled to some CTB!!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    nor do many people on sickness benefits but people assume they do, including you on some threads yet on others you mention your own cercs.

    People that have looked after their own finances and worked hard of any age are screwed come sickness or old age, the fcekless get everything.

    I don't understand what you are saying?

    If i am giving advice on Benefits, then it is only right to mention that it MAY be possible to get your rent/CT paid, it will depend upon the individual circumstances, just as it does with pensioners.

    If someone is asking for advice it would be wrong not to mention this possibility.

    I personally do not get any housing costs paid. I am a State Pensioner and my husband is on Incapacity Benefit. We have other income also. That's my circumstances, if you are interested.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards