MSE News: Winter fuel payments cut in secret Budget measure

Options

Comments

• Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I've tried to get some of them to switch suppliers, but all (except one) were very stubborn and won't do this. They won't even switch to direct debit* or another tariff with the same supplier.

This is one of the problems I have with the winter fuel payments, I think they should only be paid if the person switches to the cheapest option available, otherwise its just yet another waste of taxpayers money spending it on expensive standard tariffs.

I also think it should be paid by means of vouchers or anything other than cash so it actually gets spent on what its intended for and not christmas presents/winter holiday or whatever.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • flight747
    flight747 Posts: 510 Forumite
    Options
    Why the government always make OAP a misery times ahead while all the young familes with children get more help than the OAP. This is so disgusting move from the government. They should cut familes with children instead!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    flight747 wrote: »
    Why the government always make OAP a misery times ahead while all the young familes with children get more help than the OAP. This is so disgusting move from the government. They should cut familes with children instead!

Child Benefit will no longer be a universal benefit- everyone is facing cuts.
    It costs more for a family to live than an OAP. Families do get alot of help but so do OAP's, Pension Credit, bus pass, Winter Fuel, Cold Weather Payment, free tv license (over 75), etc. Many in my list are universal benefits for pensioners.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Plushchris wrote: »
    I also think it should be paid by means of vouchers or anything other than cash so it actually gets spent on what its intended for and not christmas presents/winter holiday or whatever.

This mystifies me a little. If vouchers are issued, OK, they have to be used to pay energy bills. What then happens to the existing household funds thereby not used to pay energy bills? Presumably they can then be spent on the Christmas presents, winter holidays etc. I regard the WFA as an addition to household income, useful at a time when energy bills are higher but not hypothecated to be spent as directed.
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    datostar wrote: »
    This mystifies me a little. If vouchers are issued, OK, they have to be used to pay energy bills. What then happens to the existing household funds thereby not used to pay energy bills? Presumably they can then be spent on the Christmas presents, winter holidays etc. I regard the WFA as an addition to household income, useful at a time when energy bills are higher but not hypothecated to be spent as directed.

And that mystifies me, if there is enough "existing household funds" to pay for the energy bills anyway then why the need for the WFA? Other than to buy christmas presents??

Heating bills etc. should be the priority not christmas or holidays, if anyone can afford to pay the bills anyway and use the WFA to fund a holiday or christmas then IMO they shouldnt get it.
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • dark_lady
    dark_lady Posts: 961 Forumite
    Options
    And Child Benefit should be spent on children but we all know thats not the case either!
  • janck_2
    janck_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I do agree that the Winter Fuel Allowance should go to all Senior Citizens on Pension Credit as they are the ones that definitely need it most, especially over 80's who are not likely to be able to work nor should they have to...they have more than done their bit for Society and deserve a warm retirement. It seems ludicrous to give it to all over 60's as the majority are still earning a wage at this age. I don't remember it being stated that this was just a temporary measure. Also everyone assumes that pensioners have gas or electric heating but some still have to use old fashioned coal to heat their homes, either open fire or parkray, this is a very expensive form of heating and not particularly efficient. No-one seems to complain about increases in child benefit or child tax credits etc but when it comes to the elderly there is not much compassion. Many in this thread are saying that there are wealthy pensioners receiving this allowance who do not need it to pay their fuel bill (I agree this is not right) on the other hand I have known many wealthy parents who are paid child benefit, who have openly admitted that they do not need it and just stash it away in an account for their kids when they get older (this is not right either is it?)

Personally I think it's high time we looked after our Senior Citizens and let the parents who bring children into this world look after them. (By the way I am a parent, in fact a single parent through divorce for the last 22 years and I have looked after mine by working hard). :(
  • markwallace
    Options
    datostar wrote: »
    This mystifies me a little. [...] What then happens to the existing household funds thereby not used to pay energy bills? Presumably they can then be spent on the Christmas presents, winter holidays etc. [...].

Existing funds? You have to be kidding. I think you need to consider the many pensioners who have an income of £197 per week before any outgoings, not the publicised few who are well off.
  • smk77
    smk77 Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beecher2 wrote: »
    I don't think it would be costly to means test - just give it to people receiving pension credit, similarly to the cold weather payments.

But then you'd end up with a situation where those receiving pension credits end up with an income above those who just miss out on qualifying for pension credits..although that an unfair but cheaper to implement benefit wouldn't come as a surprise from this government.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    beecher2 wrote: »
    I don't think it would be costly to means test - just give it to people receiving pension credit, similarly to the cold weather payments.
    In other words, only the !!!!less should get it, if youve made provision for yourself by going without and saving, or having a small pension, you dont?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure