My Redundancy Diary

Options

Comments

• Andyboy
    Andyboy Posts: 257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Redundancy/DG_174330

Here is a link for statutory redundancy payments 2012.
    For am nyonoe new to these pages there is a lot of info on the GOV site that may just help (as well as comments on here).

Please let us know if you have are facing redundancy and share your experiences......we might be able to help. whatever the case if you are reading this please see all the positive stories as there is light......
    Andyboy :idea:
  • ~GoodLife~
    ~GoodLife~ Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in the consultation stage at the moment and I have my meeting in May with HR. I was told (by a friend of a friend!)to ask to waiver my right to work my notice period in case I find a job. This means I may still get my redundancy money if accepted for VR. Is this right? What else do I need to ask? Could I ask for some money to help retrain myself?
    Thanks in advance!
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    ~GoodLife~ wrote: »
    I'm in the consultation stage at the moment and I have my meeting in May with HR. I was told (by a friend of a friend!)to ask to waiver my right to work my notice period in case I find a job. This means I may still get my redundancy money if accepted for VR. Is this right? What else do I need to ask? Could I ask for some money to help retrain myself?
    Thanks in advance!

If accepted is the important part here, they might not let you, if they don't and you find a job, hand in your notice you'll get nothing, but finding another part is the tricky part at the moment.
  • Andyboy
    Andyboy Posts: 257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    As Falko89 states they may make use of your position against you.

IMO i would keep my cards close to my chest and take all the info you can gain from your meeting n May. If you do look for another position in another company tell NO-ONE and then it can't be used against you. if they are a good employer they will offer as much as possible by way of assistance to a new job and i would wait and see.
    Andyboy :idea:
  • daisyf_2
    daisyf_2 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    yes agree with andyboy - this stage is like a game of poker - keep cards close and explore all options xxx
  • ~GoodLife~
    ~GoodLife~ Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had my HR meeting which didnt tell me anything I didnt already know. I'm now being considered for voluntary redundancy even though the whole place ends in September! They want some of us to leave early and some of us to finish up the project til the end. I'm happy to leave asap.
    Now onto looking and applying for a job!
    Thanks for all the help and advice.
  • welshy2606
    welshy2606 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on redundancy notice, work is being re-located by Friday 25th July if not before. If it goes before the company would probably put us on gardening leave, however I doubt that will happen.

Since we were told last Tuesday i've gone into panic mode, seen so many recruitment companies, been called to two interviews, and seen a training company. However, it wasn't until I saw the training provided today that i've actually seen sense.

I've found out that I may be elligible for React II funding, which i've made an appointment with Careers Wales next week to start the ball rolling. I'm hoping that they will pay for me to do a Medical Secretary course with the training company.

I've been applying for jobs like crazy, but after reading the previous threads i should probably stop as i am applying for work just for the sake of it, and I think the best advise is to probably have a break from work to sort myself out.

I've been with my company 12 years, so I will get some redundancy, 11 weeks notice plus any holidays I haven't taken but like others I have debt in the form of 2 credit cards and 2 overdrafts which seriously need to be taken care off.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    if you have been with the company 12 years then you get 12 weeks notice.

If it is nearly 12 years, at the date they give you notice you can add your statutory 11 weeks notice and if that makes it 12 years service that is used for the redundacny calculation.
  • daisyf_2
    daisyf_2 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Best not to panic but apply for jobs if you want them and go into the job interview with confidence. Make sure you do research on the company as well shows you really want the job. I know this is rocket science but it really works.

postivity is the key xx
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Also be very carefull about letting them know if you get a job.

redundancies can have a habit of disapearing if you get job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure