Young Drivers' Car Insurance Discussion

Comments

• annie12
    annie12 Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    2000 miles is barely any experience. 5 miles per day!

He probably won't drive every day anyway.
  • annie12
    Alison_B wrote: »
    Do you have access to your control panel. My son is with i-kube and you can select which driver is using the car.

We have access to the dashboard online which I assume is the equivalent. That sounds good, you do it before or after driving?
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    We don't inpt any details as it is my sons car and only he drives it but I have seen it when looking at his GPS. Have you been given a key code or a key fob for driving as you said you had more mileage than your son.
  • annie12
    Alison_B wrote: »
    We don't inpt any details as it is my sons car and only he drives it but I have seen it when looking at his GPS. Have you been given a key code or a key fob for driving as you said you had more mileage than your son.

We're not having the box put on until next week so I'm not sure.
  • I have two children at Uni, and Swinton has offered us a perfect solution. I can add them onto my car insurance for up to a total of 12 weeks in the year, at a reasonable daily rate. Plus an admin charge each time - so not sensible to break it up into too many separate tranches. If the 12 weeks is used up, then Swinton advise that it's easy to cancel policy and start another 12 months instantly. In practice I haven't needed to do this, as they come home for shorter periods each year, and don't always need to drive in any case.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hmm. "Easy to cancel policy and start another 12 months instantly" but at a cost, surely, for cancelling mid-term?

It would be useful if you told us what the "reasonable daily rate" and "admin charge each time" actually are in £.
  • my son is 17 and has just past his test and as insurance has gone up 50% to 70% this feb (so we have been told by the companys themselfs) his quote for a ka is just under 4 grand, it is what it is but because he is 17 they will not allow him to pay monthly any suggestions as price is of the scale for one off payment, even at 2 grand as was last year price for one of the cheapest cars to insure. any advice would be grate he carnt have restictions with boxes etc as he works all hours days and knights on the river
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How on earth did he have a ka a year ago if he is now still 17?
  • His sisters car we have kept it
  • My brother got driver licence after his 28th birthday still treated like 17 old young dirver with high premiums. I was trying to reduce his insurance by adding him as second driver on my policy and wait a year before he start using his car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure