🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Young Drivers' Car Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Nina8835
    Options
    Hi can anyone help me, my 17 year old son is learning to drive and it was proving too expensive to put him on my car insurance as a learner (due to size of my car) so we re thinking of buying him his own car 1L or less, should I be insuring it in my name with him as a named driver or can he get insurance as a learner with me as a named driver. This is all so confusing!!
  • stuartmc_2
    Options
    Just going through this nightmare myself as above. He can get the insurance with you as a named driver. Be aware though that most companies seem to treat provisional licence holders differently to full licence holders so the cheapest when he is learning may not be the cheapest once he has passed his test. I think this means that if he passes his test quickly you may be into cancellation charges etc to change insurers to get the lowest price.
  • Sparkle_66
    Options
    My son just turned 20 last week and is currently learning to drive. He really needs a small van for work rather than a car & as it happens a neighbour is selling his Ford Transit Connect 1.8 TDI. We did a few comparisons on-line a couple of weeks ago and the cheapest quote was £2100. Just reviewed quote today as a provisional & full licence holder with me as 2nd named driver and quotes came back as £650.00 OMG. I was convinced I'd done something wrong so I phoned Kwik Fit Insurance to check again. With legal assistance quote was £688 for him to be insured before and after his driving test. Needless to say I made an offer on the van straight away which was accepted so just got to complete the sale.
  • Parking_Trouble
    Options
    Save some money by not taking the legal assistance.
    Mr Straw described whiplash as "not so much an injury, more a profitable invention of the human imagination—undiagnosable except by third-rate doctors in the pay of the claims management companies or personal injury lawyers"

• laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    Nina8835 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone help me, my 17 year old son is learning to drive and it was proving too expensive to put him on my car insurance as a learner (due to size of my car) so we re thinking of buying him his own car 1L or less, should I be insuring it in my name with him as a named driver or can he get insurance as a learner with me as a named driver. This is all so confusing!!

Surely it would be cheaper to pay a driving instructor? I didn't put my daughter onto my insurance until she had passed her test-a lesson a week cost less than adding her to my insurance and saved us both a great deal of stress! :rotfl:
    import this
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Extra lessons are maybe cheaper.

Dont forget if you buy a car the premium is likely to rise when he passes his test.

If you put the policy in your name he wont be earning any no claims for himself.

If he has an accident its your policy so you need to declare that. Which may affect your premium also.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Nina8835 wrote: »

if its you buy him a car and solely used for learning and the car wont be used by you then you couldn't insure it as a main driver policy holder as you wouldn't be the main driver if that makes sense. also to note, if you buy him a car and he registers it in his name, then this can lead to policy complications, as many insurers like the policy holder to be the owner registered keeper of the car to be insured.

if you intend to use the car more than him, then its perfectly legal to insure him as named driver as you would do more miles than he would learning to drive in it just make sure the insurers know you are not the registered keeper.

if you are policy holder, he wouldn't build a NCB, some insurers offer a named driver discount but that's not transfurable to other insurers and is a gimmick to keep the named drivers who go on their own policy to stick with that insurer they were a named driver with.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    Sparkle_66 wrote: »
    My son just turned 20 last week and is currently learning to drive. He really needs a small van for work rather than a car & as it happens a neighbour is selling his Ford Transit Connect 1.8 TDI. We did a few comparisons on-line a couple of weeks ago and the cheapest quote was £2100. Just reviewed quote today as a provisional & full licence holder with me as 2nd named driver and quotes came back as £650.00 OMG. I was convinced I'd done something wrong so I phoned Kwik Fit Insurance to check again. With legal assistance quote was £688 for him to be insured before and after his driving test. Needless to say I made an offer on the van straight away which was accepted so just got to complete the sale.

if he needs a small van for work that requires transporting goods, commuting to from and course of work then he may need a different type of insurance such a business class insurance and not run of the mill social domestic and pleasure with commuting.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    if he needs a small van for work that requires transporting goods, commuting to from and course of work then he may need a different type of insurance such a business class insurance and not run of the mill social domestic and pleasure with commuting.

One thing I found when trying to add DD (17) and DS (20) as named drivesr on a group 31 car, was that I got a better quote if we put my wife and myself as using the car as business use.

Which we do, occasionally.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    One thing I found when trying to add DD (17) and DS (20) as named drivesr on a group 31 car, was that I got a better quote if we put my wife and myself as using the car as business use.

Which we do, occasionally.

can understand this, but in general people think they can add commuting to a policy and mistakenly think it covers them to carry work related goods and use for the course of the business/work. this is why I pointed out that out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport