IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

TPS parking ticket advice PLEASE

Options
I parked my car on some white lines in the willow brook shopping centre (Tesco, Bradley stoke Bristol) yesterday whilst I ran across the road. I was gone for no more than ten minutes. I came back to be handed a ticket from TPS solutions. The gentleman that gave me the ticket saw my distress and told me to go and speak to security straight away and they may let me off. When I went inside and spoke to security I was told that they could not do anything and I would need to make an appeal in writing. I went back out to my car almost in tears, advised me to telephone the number on the back of the ticket and they may let me off. The ticket does clearly state that queries about the Parking Charge Notice cannot be dealt with over the telephone, however I decided to give it go as that was the advice of the gentlemen that gave me the ticket, needless to say I had no luck!
There were clear signs stating that ‘images are being monitored in the interest of public safety. The system is controlled by: The Willow Brook Centre. For further information please contact the centre management office’ However the sign relating to parking fines was a lot smaller and on the other side of the pole, facing away from the way I was parking. Is that a good enough reason for appeal?
The ticket says the parking charge of £60 must be paid within 28 days. If payment is received within 14 days the parking charge amount will be reduced to £40. The general understanding I am getting from the advice online is that I should ignore the ticket. However I am concerned about being chased by debt collectors and having my credit rating ruined. If I ignore it I could end up being charged the full £60 and taken to court.
Should I ignore the tickets, will it really go away? Should I appeal and have I got grounds for appeal. Should I write a grovelling letter appealing to their better nature? Should I offer to give them less money in full settlement of the ticket? Or should I suck it up, accept that I really should not have parked on white lines and pay up? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Mark_Hewitt
    Mark_Hewitt Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2011 at 3:00PM
    Options
    The standard advice is the one to follow. What makes you think your case is any different?
    Should I write a grovelling letter appealing to their better nature

They don't have one.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bin the notice, bin the subsequent letters that will follow and get on with your life.
    Pants
  • leedsman1954
    Options
    I've had a TPS ticket since last October, had the various letters with the threats but nothing else has happened.
  • NeverAgain_2
    NeverAgain_2 Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    Ignore, ignore, ignore.

The ticket is no more than a scam, there is no debt, therefore your credit rating doesn't come into it.

Only the courts can punish you, not some poxy parking company.

They are taking advantage of your natural inclination to abide by 'rules'.

I am always annoyed to hear when decent folk are upset by these bullies.

It is disgraceful that some clown in a uniform can cause you distress and get away with it.

Unfortunately, your only redress is not to pay the ticket, and make sure your friends and family know to do the same if they get one.

I have successfully ignored two of these tickets, but you should prepare yourself to ignore a series of threatening letters.

They stop eventually, I think I got four or five for each ticket.
  • Sir_Roger_deLodger
    Options
    The gentleman that gave me the ticket

Whatever he is, he certainly isn't a gentleman.
    It's not a fine, your credit rating cannot be affected and remember that "debt collectors" are not bailiffs and have no power at all.
    Do not contact them, do not pay them anything and ignore their stupid letters.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    :D Calm down and start ignoring them - by all accounts they waste a lot of money on postage! TPS' typical letter-chain is shown in pictures on this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2214803

Just file all the letters - I keep mine in my handbag just to show friends & colleagues if they are ever worried about one of these fake tickets. My car overstayed apparently, in a free car park when the driver was shopping in the Supermarket concerned. That's not a crime and neither is the way you parked.

Nothing will happen. There's no effect on your credit rating - there's no credit agreement is there?! A random company cannot just apply for a CCJ against you any more than I can!

Watchdog advice is clear:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2214803

HTH now enjoy the nice spring weather and get a file ready for those rubbish threatograms!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Ginger_Poodle
    Options
    I parked outwith a bay at our local childrens hospital A&E department (near a goods in area late at night, nowhere near ambulance access or anything). I was on my own, taking my 2 year old to be checked for suspected meningitis. I got one of these tickets and could not decide if I was more upset or angry. It was designed to look like a real ticket, and was really quite intimidating. Like everyone says, I ignored it and never heard from them again...

I hope you are ok
  • Michelle_7560
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to respond. It is great to know that there are lots of decent people out there who care! The parking ticket is being filed away and will be ignored, I will await my chain of letters which I will also ignore. Thanks again.
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget that should you need reassurance come back for some moral support :)
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Shoppa
    Shoppa Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I received a ticket in March for parking in a disabled bay at the WillowBrook car park when I went to the cashpoint - a task that took less than five mins. OK, so it was a lazy thing to do, but the temptation was too great. I ignored the ticket, professionally stuck on my window, received two demanding letters from TPS, each telling me I owed more money, then received a letter from a Debt Collection Agency - Since when has a private parking ticket been classified as a debt??? Interestingly enough, the cost has now risen even higher and the latest threat is to pass my case to their legal advisors. I am looking forward to the next installment...

BTW, has anyone actually been able to read the parking information notices in the Willowbrook Centre? I am of average height with reasonable eyesight, but they are incredibly difficult to see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport