Price of a bag of coal?

Options

Comments

• jonewer
    jonewer Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    That's the going rate in Yorkshire and it seems to be about right. Coal was £5 for 50k 15 years ago.

The problem is, these days you have to add on the price of all the oil used to ship it from australia :(
    Mortgage debt - [STRIKE]£8,811.47 [/STRIKE] Paid off!
  • farmerboy
    farmerboy Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2010 at 8:14AM
    Options
    We've just had 1 ton delivered for £180, thats £9/50kg sack from our local small coal merchant. Thats for house coal
  • Red_Doe
    Red_Doe Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    I`m paying just under sixteen pounds a hundredweight.
    "Ignore the eejits...it saves your blood pressure and drives `em nuts!" :D
  • othomson
    Options
    We have just been quoted £210/Tonne delivered in Perthshire for Houshold Coal
  • jonewer
    jonewer Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    w50nky wrote: »
    I really feel for you...I Have just paid £12 for of 50Kg sack of Homefire ovals. Thats in the North of England.

I was quoted £117 for 250kg of the same... TWICE the price you are paying! :eek:
    Mortgage debt - [STRIKE]£8,811.47 [/STRIKE] Paid off!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Paying £15 50kg for smokeless briquettes delivered
  • divebabe
    Options
    I'm in the process of moving to a rented listed building with enclosed coal fire and back boiler, night storage heaters and an immersion heater. I'm out at work all day so don't want to waste fuel/electricity but am seriously concerned about how to keep warm and have hot water and what it's all going to cost. No idea re coal prices or how long it lasts. Does anyone know the most economical combination? Presumably it's not necessary to keep the coal fire going all the time, especially in the summer, but I've read on previous posts here that there seems to be some merit in keeping it ticking over? Should I be stocking up on coal now in readiness for the winter, or is there a more economical alternative. I seem to remember coke back in the day, but don't think it's still available.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    i live in scotland.... £16 50kg surefire.... worst thing is several open cast mines within 15miles of my house!
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I pay around £13.50 for 50KG of smokeless (anthracite + pet coke mixed). I got through last winter on just 4 bags due to the mild Jan and Feb (I normally use about 6) using my stove. I also burned a few free logs I had.
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    Swipe wrote: »
    I pay around £13.50 for 50KG of smokeless (anthracite + pet coke mixed). I got through last winter on just 4 bags due to the mild Jan and Feb (I normally use about 6) using my stove. I also burned a few free logs I had.

Lucky you, it got that cold here, in the bedroom i had am elec heater on the go!
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure