Price of a bag of coal?

Options

Comments

• nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My local garage does 25kg bags of house coal for £6.50 which is the same as your price

I would like to find a garage that charges £6.50 for a 25kg bag TBH! Most of the places around here charge well in access of that for a 20kg bag!

The cheapest that I see around here is Countrywide stores doing £21.00 per 3 bags of 20kg or £7.99 each and you have to go and collect it, buying from Fergussons in 1 tonne pallets costs me around £60 less than collecting the same amount from Countrywide.

FWIW I used to have it delivered by a coal merchant but they charged as much as buying prepacked and storage was always a problem.

I would really be interested where I can buy coal from locally at £6.50 for a 25kg bag, are you certain it was 25kg? Only most places only sell 20kg bags now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Focus were doing 4 x 10KG bags of smokeless coke for £17.97 just before Christmas. What a rip off as I have just had 4 x 50KG open sacks delivered from the local coal man for £52 (£13 per 50KG). Doesn't leave as much ash as the Focus stuff does either.
  • JMartin
    JMartin Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    our local coal merchant delivers 1 tonne of household doubles for £210...he's not the cheapest but the cheapest is mainly dross. We're in South Lanarkshire.

Our original coal merchant sold his business to Fergusons a couple of years ago and he told us to make sure we moved to another supplier because Fergusons is too expensive.
  • AndrewJ_2
    Options
    Note sure where u live, we are in Somerset & buy 1 tonne of Housecoal Doubles a time for £250 from a company called Burnham Coal !:)
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Try Cockrams ~ they don't have a web page, but you can call them for a price per tonne of their cheapest house coal ~ when we had solid fuel only, they were a godsend and loads cheaper than the local firms. They travelled from Lincolnshire as well, all over Norfolk, so presumably the surrounding counties are covered by them.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Chef1980uk
    Options
    We've just had two price rises in the last 3 months. Now up to £15/50kg from CPL. Anywhere else cheaper for south lincolnshire or is that now the going rate?
  • jonewer
    jonewer Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    I live in surrey and its pretty expensive down here in comparison. Just paid £39.75 for 100kg
    Mortgage debt - [STRIKE]£8,811.47 [/STRIKE] Paid off!
  • w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    I really feel for you...I Have just paid £12 for of 50Kg sack of Homefire ovals. Thats in the North of England.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chef1980uk wrote: »
    We've just had two price rises in the last 3 months. Now up to £15/50kg from CPL. Anywhere else cheaper for south lincolnshire or is that now the going rate?

That's the going rate in Yorkshire and it seems to be about right. Coal was £5 for 50k 15 years ago.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • spikeybee
    Options
    I have just paid £33 for 4x25kg bags of taybrite it has gone up £1 a bag since i last went 4 weeks ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure