We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Internet Explorer 9

124

Comments

  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    23n1th wrote: »
    I would imagine that IE9 doesn't work with XP like Firefox etc do is because of how integrated IE is with the operating system. IE won't run on any of platform either. I would imagine that since M$ want xp gone and as stated above xp has its limitations why bother? I know I wouldn't.

    I thought that MS were trying to regain market share after losing out to other web browsers, it seems somewhat futile if they cannot support their own OS that they were happy to take money for up until just recently.

    Oh well I am very happy with FF, Google and Opera.
  • arrallas
    arrallas Posts: 182 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    If you use RoboForm, that doesn't work yet on 64 bit IE9 :(
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Somebody write the program to enable me to see how IE9 displays a website.

    All my pcs are running XP and I have absolutely no intention of buying a new computer just because of MSofts intransigence.

    After the horlicks that was made of Vista, you have to jump to windows 7 (meaning a shiny new pc).
    You'd think they'd let us XP users tear along for a few years yet.

    Msoft's catastrophe. I'm not paying for it.
  • bubblesbonbon
    bubblesbonbon Posts: 800 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 March 2011 at 2:33PM
    arrallas wrote: »
    If you use RoboForm, that doesn't work yet on 64 bit IE9 :(

    Try it on 32 bit - 64 bit "is a dog" *

    Although the installer insists on sticking and running 64 bit on 64 bit Windows, it also installs the 32 bit version.

    Start-All programs and you will see both. The 32 bit is the lower one. Much quicker and you can unpin the 64 and replace it from the Desktop/Task Bar if you prefer.

    *Plagerised from here-- (Thanks Phoodless)

    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/installing-32-bit-ie-9-on-64-bit-windows/802?!!!!!mantle_skin;content

    Oh and Foxit PDF Reader has problems calling PDF files using Java code with all versions of IE9 -
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

    John Templeton 1912-2008
  • phoodless wrote: »
    Think you mean this one...


    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/ie9-vs-chrome-10-vs-firefox-4-rc-vs-opera-1101-vs-safari-5-the-big-browser-benchmark/11890?!!!!!mantle_skin;content


    Haven't read it in detail yet ( just skimmed through the graphs ) and IE9 64 bit does not fair well at all.

    Absolutely correct, marks out of 10, 15 ;)
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    Inactive wrote: »
    I thought that MS were trying to regain market share after losing out to other web browsers, it seems somewhat futile if they cannot support their own OS that they were happy to take money for up until just recently.

    Oh well I am very happy with FF, Google and Opera.

    I think their free web browser probably takes a back seat when it comes to their new operating system what with thast being how they make money.
  • arrallas
    arrallas Posts: 182 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Try it on 32 bit - 64 bit "is a dog" *

    Although the installer insists on sticking and running 64 bit on 64 bit Windows, it also installs the 32 bit version.

    Start-All programs and you will see both. The 32 bit is the lower one. Much quicker and you can unpin the 64 and replace it from the Desktop/Task Bar if you prefer.

    *Plagerised from here-- (Thanks Phoodless)
    The 32 bit version is there but doesn't run
  • [QUOTE=arrallas;42104452
    The 32 bit version is there but doesn't run[/QUOTE]

    Odd

    Does the Start entry short cut point to

    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

    and the 64 bit to

    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" ?
    "It's nice to be important but more important to be nice"

    John Templeton 1912-2008
  • arrallas
    arrallas Posts: 182 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Odd

    Does the Start entry short cut point to

    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

    and the 64 bit to

    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" ?


    Yes it does
  • Transferred over to 9 from 8 last night working with Windows 7.Seems as OK as it seemed to be when I tried it out in beta form a while back,although it still had the annoying inability to allow me to tab back to previous pages if I didn't want to do it it one page at a time.Have since discovered that if I right click on the back button it brings up a list of pages previously visited allowing me to scroll back faster.Using the IE 32 bit version as well as earlier posters as I found several sites wouldn't open up for me to use properly when trying the 64 bit version.Puzzler.com still doesn't allow me to use it properly but I'll probably have to discuss that with the company - added it the the allowed pop-up blocker list as suggested but with no effect.
    Other than that nothing majorly wrong,touch wood!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.