We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Internet Explorer 9

PZH
PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
I currently run IE8 (and also Firefox) - is it worth upgrading to IE9 yet?

Anyone having any issues with IE9 ?

Is it any improvement on IE8 ?
“That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
«1345

Comments

  • Andrew1472
    Andrew1472 Posts: 301 Forumite
    I had a quick play with it yesterday.
    First impression was that it was very quick, but as always with ie the customisation options looked to be very limited.
    The big problem I had was that it crashed and I couldn't get rid of it with Task Manager. I ended up restarting the pc.
    So that is probably my first and last time with ie9.
    You may have a different opinion though, so give it a try. You can always uninstall.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9
  • Mista_C
    Mista_C Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I spotted a number of problems with script rendering that didn't occur in IE8 or IE9 beta but mysteriously appeared in IE9RC.

    I had noticed this on a number of sites around the web but I also saw it on my own website. I took screen dumps of the site in various browsers for comparison. Oddity circled in red.

    183554_153718241353547_138135946245110_318453_4729166_n.jpg

    I have sorted the problem since by updating the javascript that renders the logo and header text to make it compatible with IE9 (although as previously said it worked fine in 8 and the 9 beta).
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Andrew1472 wrote: »
    I had a quick play with it yesterday.
    First impression was that it was very quick, but as always with ie the customisation options looked to be very limited.

    Well that sounds promising
    Andrew1472 wrote: »
    The big problem I had was that it crashed and I couldn't get rid of it with Task Manager. I ended up restarting the pc.

    Hmm... that's not good. What OS is that under ?
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • Andrew1472
    Andrew1472 Posts: 301 Forumite
    phoodless wrote: »

    Hmm... that's not good. What OS is that under ?

    Windows 7 64 bit, but it may have been a one off for all I know.
    For me ie9 isn't special enough to tempt me away from firefox and chrome so I didn't investigate the problem at all.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    phoodless wrote: »
    Well that sounds promising



    Hmm... that's not good. What OS is that under ?

    Well it certainly isn't XP, it doesn't work with XP.

    How short sighted is that of MS?
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Andrew1472 wrote: »
    Windows 7 64 bit, but it may have been a one off for all I know.

    Well I'm on the 32 bit flavour - so may give it a whirl
    Andrew1472 wrote: »
    For me ie9 isn't special enough to tempt me away from firefox and chrome so I didn't investigate the problem at all.

    I run Firefox sometimes (but I do find it slower these days).

    I did try Chrome but didn't really like the feel of it.
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • PZH
    PZH Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Inactive wrote: »
    Well it certainly isn't XP, it doesn't work with XP.

    How short sighted is that of MS?

    :rotfl: Didn't know that...

    Mind you - Micro$oft are pushing themselves away from XP
    “That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”
  • Andrew1472
    Andrew1472 Posts: 301 Forumite
    phoodless wrote: »
    so may give it a whirl

    You've nothing to lose. Give it a go and uninstall if you can't live with it.
    I'm fairly certain it is better and probably safer than ie8.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,466 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Inactive wrote: »
    Well it certainly isn't XP, it doesn't work with XP.

    How short sighted is that of MS?

    The major users of Internet Explorer on Windows XP is the business sector. Go anywhere and you'll see the uptake on the latest versions of Internet Explorer is slow to say the least.

    Making IE9 faster, safer and compliant with more standards are really features that matter only to home users. Those features are certainly something that aren't attractive and high priorities for any IT manager.

    In comparison to Vista/7, XP has significant technical limitations that IE9 relies upon. It would have been a poor decision by Microsoft to dedicate massive levels of resources to backport it to XP only to see a poor uptake from that sector.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.