We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Internet Explorer 9
Comments
-
In comparison to Vista/7, XP has significant technical limitations that IE9 relies upon. It would have been a poor decision by Microsoft to dedicate massive levels of resources to backport it to XP only to see a poor uptake from that sector.
But all other browsers are compatible with XP, ... XP is an MS product that was still being shipped with new network computers until recently.
Now they seem to be washing their hands from their own products.0 -
I see I'm not alone with the crashes!!
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1843369&postcount=70
http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/150858-ie-9-crashes.html
Makes me wonder if they rushed the release to be ahead of Firefox 4:(0 -
But all other browsers are compatible with XP, ... XP is an MS product that was still being shipped with new network computers until recently.
Now they seem to be washing their hands from their own products.
I can't forsee a mass exodus to Firefox or Chrome just because the latest version of IE doesn't work on XP. I also can't see any IT department in a rush to upgrade, especially since a significant amount are still using two generation old versions.0 -
I spent yesterday using it but found it was very slow loading websites. Plus it interfered with the Alt-Tab way of switching between open windows.
I uninstalled it this morning and reverted to IE8.0 -
Plus it interfered with the Alt-Tab way of switching between open windows.
Interesting - I use the Alt-Tab a lot as well
Did you have any issues taking IE9 off and reinstalling IE8 ?“That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind. The time is always right to do the right thing.”0 -
I found that, instead of keeping the 'ribbon' of open windows on your screen throughout, it kept closing that and 'dropping' me into whatever window was highlighted at the time. Not a critical problem, but very confusing all the same.Interesting - I use the Alt-Tab a lot as well
None whatever, it was very fast and painless. Just go to Control Panel, Programs, View Installed Updates and if you click on Internet Explorer 9 it asks if you want to uninstall the upgrade.Did you have any issues taking IE9 off and reinstalling IE8?
IE8 is back to loading websites in about half the time IE9 took.
I did like the way IE9 gave you more screen space though, to be honest, I never found that a problem with IE8. But that did pose one odd query: now that the 'Title Bar' no longer contains the title (it is blank, the title of each window is shown only on the tab, it doesn't even say 'Internet Explorer), this means that whole bar contains nothing except the three window resizing/closing buttons top right. If they really wanted to make more space, they could easily have put these on one of the other bars, esp now that the command bar only comes with three buttons by default.0 -
To address the speed issue, did you check whether the option for Hardware Acceleration was enabled and are the GPU drivers up to date?0
-
Looks like yet another MS FAIL, you would think that they would have learned after producing the disaster that was Vista.:)0
-
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards