The Best Substitution Ever!

Options

Comments

• craftycrafter
    Options
    juno wrote: »
    In a previous thread on here, someone ordered tampons and got a Twix.

Actually I can see the logic here - at certain times, chocolate is a medical necessity!
  • moorhen_2
    moorhen_2 Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Years back, the delivery driver told me someone had received swiss roll instead of toilet roll. I wonder how they coped... :eek:
  • Daisy_doo_3
    Daisy_doo_3 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    Actually I can see the logic here - at certain times, chocolate is a medical necessity!

Agree that its needed, but not sure that it does quite the same job!! Do you think the packer was a guy!! Lol (No offence to anyone!)

:p
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    I once ordered 1 jar of red wine cook in sauce so I could make coq au vin, they sent me 3 bottles of red wine all different kinds. No idea why 3 bottles when I only ordered one jar of sauce

Most people would have been over the moon except I can't drink red wine it gives me an instant migraine.......my next door neighbours were very happy with them though lol
  • Brockyman
    Brockyman Posts: 383 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    edited 9 March 2011 at 11:39AM
    Options
    I'm a Home Shopping driver for Asda and have to say that whilst there are some inappropriate subs very few are rejected by the customer. ASDA always try to offer a sub of at least equal value and you will only ever pay the lower price. Many people choose not to have substitutions but I always recommend they do because you can always reject them and if you don't get subs then you may be left without something you really need. As evidenced here there are some great examples of people doing very well out of subs.

There are reasons why subs are given when you can sometimes go into the store and see the item on the shelf. There is a note on your order to say that "These items were unavailable AT THE TIME OF PICKING". The orders are picked from 3.00 a.m. onwards and it simply isn't possible to go back later in the day to repick items for individual orders. In our store we often have 240 or more orders in a day.
    You are also more likely to get subs on a Sunday. That is because there are few deliveries on Saturday night.

In the case of ordering items to make a curry but being given Strawberry Yoghurt, the person picking the spices would not be the same person who picked the yoghurt and would have absolutely no idea it was to go with a curry. The orders are picked by department i.e. Frozen, Chilled, Bakery, Ambient, Fruit and Veg etc etc so there could be several people involved in the picking of your order.

My own examples of subs I have had to give are a Weight Watchers Ham and Pineapple Pizza subbed for a Deep Pan Meat Feast :eek: (which WAS rejected not surprisingly). A pack of Toilet Tissue was replaced by a box of Tissues. There was also a student who ordered a quarter bottle of Vodka and had it subbed with full Litre, he was delighted!

If I can help with Home Shopping queries please get in touch. Despite our reputation as being Morons some of us actually enjoy what we do. I work from Lancaster store and last year in a customer survey we were voted TOP store in the country for Home Shopping customer service. :j

Cheers,
    Ian.
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brockyman wrote: »
    I'm a Home Shopping driver for Asda
    If I can help with Home Shopping queries please get in touch. Despite our reputation as being Morons some of us actually enjoy what we do. I work from Lancaster store and last year in a customer survey we were voted TOP store in the country for Home Shopping customer service. :j

I wouldn't say morons, most of the guys I've had delivery to me are great :-) The one who did my first delivery after I moved house even gave me directions to the nearest store to my new house which I hadn't found by then :T

Given what you've said about pickers for each department (one picking household stuff and another person entirely doing the fruit and veg etc. - which I never realised) can you suggest why customers so often get substitutes from entirely different departments? Like the "lemons instead of lemon washing up liquid" for instance one?

I'm sure it's a tiny proportion of the whole but I'm curious! Maybe the pickers do that just for a laugh once in a while, & then watch boards like this to spot their jokes :rotfl:

Most annoying one I had was ages ago - I ordered 4 x400g tins of soup, and got 4 individual-size tins of soup. Delivered direct to the event where I needed enough soup for 8 people. Such is life, I couldn't have fitted all the food in my car on the way there anyway!
  • Brockyman
    Brockyman Posts: 383 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    edited 9 March 2011 at 12:44PM
    Options
    slbhill wrote: »
    can you suggest why customers so often get substitutes from entirely different departments? Like the "lemons instead of lemon washing up liquid" for instance one?

Most annoying one I had was ages ago - I ordered 4 x400g tins of soup, and got 4 individual-size tins of soup. Delivered direct to the event where I needed enough soup for 8 people. Such is life, I couldn't have fitted all the food in my car on the way there anyway!

Substitutions are at the discretion of the picker so a picker can cross departments. It may just be that that particular picker thought lemons WERE a suitable substitution :o but seems a bit odd really. They probably would be good for removing grease though! Maybe the picker is a Kim Woodburn fan and had seen her use them, lol.

One of my biggest annoyances is when Curry PASTE is given as a sub for Curry SAUCE, they are not the same at all. But not everyone knows that and if you have never used it it may seem a logical sub.

Your subbed tins of soup is an annoying one and should really have been made up to match the quantity i.e 8 smaller tins. But again, the picker would have no way of knowing you were going to use them all at once. The picker uses a palm top computer which brings the items up one by one, the picker has NO customer information at all so would not be able to know they were going to an event.

It is a bit of a gamble to order stuff to arrive on the day you need it. Many people order stuff to eat for their tea and are a bit annoyed when it is either unavailable or is subbed. Best to get it the day before so you know you have it. Another thing that happens is that people order stuff for their tea on a 5-7 slot and then get annoyed when we turn up at 6.55!!
    I think that is the reason why at Christmas there were no deliveries on Christmas eve. People were relying on it for Turkeys etc but at that time of year a store doesn't want stock remaining which it will have to sell off at cost or below so may have run out on some items by Christmas eve. So people had to have their orders by 23rd Dec which gave them a day to make up any missing items if there were any.

Ian.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    juno wrote: »
    In a previous thread on here, someone ordered tampons and got a Twix.

Dear Asda,

Thank you for the substitution of a Twix bar instead of my ordered Tampax.
    I did try it but unfortunately it was not absorbent enough .

Can I return it for a full refund ?
  • mermaidnwuk
    mermaidnwuk Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have used both Asda and Tesco for home deliveries and every one has been brilliant - polite, pleasant and helpful. All have been very apologetic about the substitutions - most of which I have kept anyway.

Oh - my most unusual sub? Ordered fresh egg noodles and was subbed a kilo of fresh broccoli:rotfl:.
  • soupdragon52
    soupdragon52 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine had her usual newspaper - The Telegraph - substituted for The Sun!!!! She was not amused but I thought it was hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure