New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Signal share boost for Orange and T-Mobile customers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
35 replies 6.5K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

" Orange and T-Mobile customers can share both networks' signal to boost their chances of getting reception. ..."

Replies

• The problem is that I can't get a high-speed data connection when my phone switches over from T-Mobile (my provider) to Orange. And once the phone switches over, it seems reluctant to switch back.

But great for when you live in a dodgy reception area and you are worried about missing phone calls.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Rusty!Rusty! Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ^ The roaming is 2G only, so wont be any good for data ^

My mate is on T-Mobile and often has no signal in his house, but despise enabling it, the signal never roams to Orange.
  • fiendishlycleverfiendishlyclever Forumite
    455 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Anyone seen anything official about how this merger affects Three customers.

My signal has dropped recently which I suspect is due to the mast sharing with T-mobile as they decommissioned surplus sites. I've got a PAC ready to use but was wondering if Three might get better if they mast share with Orange/T-mobile under their Everything Everywhere banner.

I've searched high and low and can't find anything in writing. Anyone heard anything?
  • Rusty!Rusty! Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Three are doing the opposite I'm afraid, they're killing off the 2G roaming, not expanding it.
  • Tony5101Tony5101 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Anyone seen anything official about how this merger affects Three customers.

My signal has dropped recently which I suspect is due to the mast sharing with T-mobile as they decommissioned surplus sites. I've got a PAC ready to use but was wondering if Three might get better if they mast share with Orange/T-mobile under their Everything Everywhere banner.

I've searched high and low and can't find anything in writing. Anyone heard anything?

Mast sharing won't help a poor 3 signal I'm afraid - they're only sharing the physical platform with Orange/TMob as far as I'm aware - they're not sharing signal/spectrum.

Tony
  • edited 16 February 2011 at 5:42PM
    Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K posts
    edited 16 February 2011 at 5:42PM
    Any chance Virgin (who use t-mobile) customers will ever get this?
    (I mean sharing telephony signals, not data)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • immoral_angelukimmoral_angeluk Forumite
    24.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone else on orange found that over the past couple of weeks the signal and 3g has been really unreliable? Wondering if it's anything to do with this..
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • tog22tog22 Forumite
    33 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I seem to get shunted onto T-mobile and lose my Orange data allowance when I travel - I wonder if this is connected

• ajw1100ajw1100 Forumite
    57 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Not all good news!

I am randomly plagued with an error message on switching on my PAYG Orange phone the message is update error 030146, no explanation and this number is not shown on the Orange error code page list or in their FAQ's when I last looked.

I emailed them:
    A while ago I kept getting the message on start up of Update Error 030146. I emailed yourselves about this annoying message and you advised this was to to with coverage sharing with T mobile. After this the message went away.
    This annoying error has now returned everytime I switch my phone on. Would you please sort this out and stop sending this message. I have never seen any other name on screen than Orange!
    In response I got a voicemail message telling me to contact them (Which I have to pay for:mad:) so they can sort out their problem!

Perhaps (hope) they will get the problem sorted out
  • fiendishlycleverfiendishlyclever Forumite
    455 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Rusty! wrote: »
    Three are doing the opposite I'm afraid, they're killing off the 2G roaming, not expanding it.

I was thinking of an expansion of the 3G coverage - as Three & T-mobile use the same masts and only the backhaul is separate (is this right?)
    Tony5101 wrote:
    Mast sharing won't help a poor 3 signal I'm afraid - they're only sharing the physical platform with Orange/TMob as far as I'm aware - they're not sharing signal/spectrum.

They seem to be playing this card close to their chest at the moment. Virgin mobile are telling everyone they can use the combined network later in the year, and yet nothing from Three on their agreement with T-mobile.

My GiffGaff sim is looking more and more tempting :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support