Get Tink out of trouble 2011!!

Options
Tink_04
Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
edited 11 February 2011 at 1:31PM in Debt free diaries
Ok i have decided i shall start my diary after reading loads of great stories and having some great support after only recently joining this site. I had my LB moment on 01.02.11 and ill not lie i felt physically sick and massively ashamed of the situation i have allowed myself to get in.

Im 25 and live with my DH and DD who is 1, we bought out house when everything was sky high in price and have had a combination of bad luck and no common sense (roof damage, broken down cars & spending money like we had a million in the bank.)

It came to a head at Xmas when we spent money we didn't have (and lots of it) on everyone else, on Xmas day morning me and DH were sitting with our DD's presents and none for each other, no nice new clothes for Xmas day and a huge CC bill due in Jan. I just cried at how this Xmas had turned out and i vowed id never spent another Xmas like it.

So how come the LB moment came in Feb? well here is the worst bit, i didn't actually know what i owed to who and where out money was going at all i kept putting off hunting the paperwork out and seeing the final result it was just too much. After speaking to some lovely supportive people on here i did a SOA (its quite rough as still not 100% on some things) but its a start and that was the hardest bit. I have discovered some things which is great and ill include on the SOA below so im slowly working my way through the bill list and the debt its a long process as i have just buried my head in the sand for so long it could be laughable if it was some sitcom!!!!

Over the next few days im planning to work out a plan and get something put in place to help me sort this out, ive opened a new bank account but not transferred any things over yet so need to sort that out! It is taking a long time as not so easy to do with DD into everything!!!

Ok so im hoping that made sense to anyone reading ill post the SOA below and update things as i go.

Tink
Living the simple life

Comments

• twinmum07
    Options
    Hi and congratulations on your LBM. It is scary to start with isn't it but once you find your debtbusting mojo there'll be no stopping you!
    Look forward to following your progress
    Est. debt free day April 2016 (ish) Debt at June 2010 £34,247.13
    Debt at Dec 2011 £27,499.09 (19.7% paid off)
    Working together with DH on our debts (twindad07)
    Long haulers supporters DFW #256
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 560
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 950
    Benefits................................ 550
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2060

Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 458
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 97
    Electricity............................. 37
    Gas..................................... 47
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 26.88
    Telephone (land line)................... 11
    Mobile phone............................ 42
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 55
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 125
    Clothing................................ 5
    Petrol/diesel........................... 70
    Road tax................................ 2.9
    Car Insurance........................... 48.85 - DUE IN APRIL WILL BE 25 SO SHOULD DROP!
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 7
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 44
    Childcare/nursery....................... 449.15 - GOING UP AGAIN IN APRIL SO WILL NEED TO RE ADJUST
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 9
    Buildings insurance..................... 30.12 - JUST RENEWED IS NOW £24.15 + £40 CASH BACK THROUGH QUIDCO
    Contents insurance...................... 0-IN WITH THE BUILDINGS
    Life assurance ......................... 35
    Other insurance......................... 9 - TV COVER
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20 - NEED TO ADD MORE TO THIS
    Haircuts................................ 5
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 10
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1655.9

Assets
    Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 90000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1500
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 91500

Secured & HP Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 97000....(458)......0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 97000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    egg............................560.......15....... .0
    halifax OD.....................490.......15........0
    Natwest CC.....................980.......50........0
    Halifax........................5000......160...... .0 - THIS HAS PPI ON THAT I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT
    HSBC loan......................2000......100.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........9030......340.......-

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total monthly income.................... 2,060
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,655.9
    Available for debt repayments........... 404.1
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 340
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 64.1

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 91,500
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -97,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -9,030
    Net Assets.............................. -14,530
    Living the simple life
  • Tink_04
    edited 11 February 2011 at 1:30PM
    Options
    thanks twinmum07 its one of the hardest things ive done trying to sit and get through it but if i dont do it now ill never be free of it and DD deserves better!!
    Living the simple life
  • jonjamie1970
    Options
    Hi, welcome and well done for posting your SOA and aiming to do something about it, money saving and debt free wannabee becomes addictive, Im walking about with the right hump at work today as I bought some flowers from M&S for valentines but forgot to do it through quidco and lost 3% because of it :-(

Anyway, bit by bit, first thing I noticed is that your childcare costs, this is close to your monthly income as an individual, do the benefits ensure that its better to be at work, have you sat and worked out if this is the case ?

It would also be easier if you could understand the APR's on your loans and credit cards so that we can advise on which needs sorting first.

I wished I had had my LBM as young as you but the good news is youve got your whole life to look forward to debt free if you master this .
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Hi Jonjamie1970 - Childcare is huge but the tax credits i get pay for it so if i wasnt working i would have no income and only get £200 ish tax credits so although its high i only work part time (3days a week) so its worth it to have my wage really - my little girl loves it and has loads of friends and does loads of activity's too so its keeping her entertained and she has all her meals and snacks there too rather than staying in the house all day with me doing not much!!!

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • Tink_04
    Options
    OK so here is some sums that ive looked at:

My Big loan is £4070
    2nd loan - £2000
    Credit card - 955
    Overdraft - £481.78

credit card - £508.12
    Credit card - £530

Total = 8544.90!!!!! ..................... Big pause ...............take a breath................................ok................where do i go now???

The big loan is a story of its own and is in a bad way - this is the one that i have found out that has the PPI on that shouldn't be there. I will deal with this when i know more about it as i have just got the paper work and need to look at it all.

2nd loan is getting paid £100 a month cant do any more with it the APR isnt as high as the cards but cant lower the payments.

Credit card 0% for 12 months so leaving that for now

overdraft is on a payment plan of £15 month interest and charges frozen so that stays as it is.

That leaves my 2 cards - the interest is high on both i cannot move them or change anything so these need to go first so this is my first target £1038.12 i dont have a money plan or any extra cash really but im going to try and budget my money and save a little so that i have some extra money at the end of the month to put towards these!!!

Wish me luck!!!!!!
    Living the simple life
  • Tink_04
    Options
    ok not a huge start but a start!!! ive paid £4.57 to one CC and found paypal has some pennies in (1.44 lol) that im going to save too!!! baby steps!!! Think i mite talk to DH about the joint finances tonight for the bills etc and see if we can tidy up the accounts a little!!!
    Living the simple life
  • Tink_04
    Options
    eeek thought it was £40 i was getting off changing my home insurance through quidco just looked and quidco tracked £50!!! very pleased!!!!

Just gonna save save save then pay pay pay it all off!!! feeling so good at the moment!!!! :D
    Living the simple life
  • Tink_04
    Options
    Ok here we are another day....

well i am officially skint till pay day ( 16 days) and my pay will be short this month as i had a week off sick and there is no overtime for me to work it back - feeling pretty sick now i owe an extra £40 prob £50 by the end of the month too so in not a great place now. Tried to do a menu plan (love the OS board) but there is seriously not enough food in and no pennies to get any other than milk for DD when ever i try to sort money out how come i always end up in a worse place than when my head is in the sand???? just dreading everyday now dont know how ill see the month out or even get by next month there is no oner left to borrow from and no extra money to pull me out this month! how can i keep getting into this mess?

On the plus side i cancelled my car breakdown cover as it had shot up so will try to get another one through quidco or something.

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • twinmum07
    Options
    Have you thought about mystery shopping? My kids are being 'treated' to a takeaway chicken tonight!
    I think it feels like things are better when you don't look at money but you are often just sneaking more onto the debt and making it worse.

Do you realise you have paid off 0.5% of your target debt in just a day? That puts you way ahead of track to pay it off this year so focus on just how brilliantly you are doing.

Congrats on the home insurance.

Do you have any stuff you could ebay to make up some of the shortfall?
    Est. debt free day April 2016 (ish) Debt at June 2010 £34,247.13
    Debt at Dec 2011 £27,499.09 (19.7% paid off)
    Working together with DH on our debts (twindad07)
    Long haulers supporters DFW #256
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport