Have I won a holiday or is it a scam?

Options

Comments

• Steve_take_2
    Options
    I was on holiday in Spain in September and stopped at the airport on the way back. I was asked to take part in a survey, for which I'd be entered into a prize draw to win a holiday. I answered a few questions and thought nothing more of it.

Last night I was called by somebody from CLC Exhibitions saying that the draw had taken place and I had won a free holiday. Deeply suspicous of such I things I tried to get more details but was directed towards phoning 0800 988 9904.

I phoned the number today, as it was free, and was told that I had not 'won' a 'prize', but that I'd been 'awarded' a holiday worth £1,500 (for two people).

We'd have to pay £29.50 booking fee per person PLUS airport taxes, fuel surcharges etc. Now, these charges can add up and I complained it was not free, which is when I was told it was an 'award' not a free prize, thus completely contradicting what I'd been told before and thus getting my involvement in the survey under false pretences. (Also I asked who the flights would be with, which they would not tell me - so probably £1 flights with a low cost airline!)

As we have a baby daughter I asked if she could come on the holiday and if there were any charges. I was told that as long as she was under 2 she would be free.

All we had to was attend a 2 hour exhibition in London with no obligation to buy anything. By this point I was fairly sure it was all a con. After the call I looked on their website and checked the terms and conditions, to find out that a child under 2 would be charged a £30 ticketing fee upon return to the UK. Thus, a second blatant lie had been told.

I then Googled CLC and ended up on this forum, which proved my concerns were justified.

I'll be calling their free number again tomorrow to demand the promised holiday prize (which should require no payment) and to make it clear that lying is not acceptable. If they do not back down I'll report them to an appropriate body, e.g. for breaking lottery and gaming regulations by running a competition (probably illegally) and failing to honour their prize obligations. It'll probably get nowhere but at least it will make me feel a bit better and waste some of their time!
  • surgeoner
    surgeoner Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a similar call a few times over the past couple of months to my mobile, ie "You didn't win first prize, but we have awarded you a holiday, you pay fees etc". Now I just say "No thanks" and terminate the call.... Think if you win something, you don't normally have to pay :o
    2015 wins: Nokia Lumia 735 Smartphone :D
  • marionreid
    Options
    I just had a call there too ......number i was given to call is 08009889904 and WE10, Im not ringing it though!
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Was called last Friday 15th, number withheld, by "CLC Resorts & Hotels" (allegedly) and given
    0800 988 9904 to ring with a "Code" for my "Free" holiday to "Portugal, Southern Spain or the Canaries"... oh, gosh, how exciting ....

I asked for their address and was (eventually) given...
    Pembroke House, Pitsea, Basildon...

Companies House does have a company of that name - but different address..
    http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/5ba70ea4596841ac02363f12c6210da3/compdetails

but it is "dormant"
    CLC RESORTS & HOTELS LIMITED
    HALLSWELLE HOUSE
    1 HALLSWELLE ROAD
    LONDON
    NW11 0DH
    Company No. 05686493

Date of Incorporation: 24/01/2006

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
    Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
    5510 - Hotels and Motels with (or without) restaurant
    Accounting Reference Date: 31/12
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2008 (DORMANT)
    Next Accounts Due: 30/09/2010
    Last Return Made Up To: 24/01/2009
    Next Return Due: 21/02/2010
    Last Members List: 24/01/2009
    (sounds unlikely they will be offering free holidays then...)

I will call them anyway (waste some of their time & money ..) and see how long it takes me to get the salesman to agree they are in an immoral & evil occupation & really should leave and get a decent, honest job...

Cheers!

Lodger
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January 2010 at 12:51PM
    Options
    (In all of these conversations I was calm & polite,.. - they weren't too bad but did get very frosty & urgent..)

Spoke to a young lady claiming to be called "Justine" in Basildon... who eventually told me about the £29:50/pp booking fee and airport taxes and that there were no other charges.... but I'd need to go to Presentation in Scotland and would be given £25 or £25 vouchers for my travel costs

She said she worked for "Club La Costa Resorts & Hotels": I pointed out Companies house had no record of such a company & that something fraudulent or dishonest must be going on, and that she should, I suggested, leave her employment forthwith & go an find an honest job.. she seemed no best pleased with this, that they had been operating for 20 years.. I pointed out CLC was only set up 3 years ago..

She said "I will put you through to my supervisor"... jolly good says I...

Justine comes wanting to give me a number of their "Head Office" - I politely declined & asked to be put through, as she had promised (I hadn't asked..) her supervisor...

Eventually I speak to a "Sharon" in Pitsea (near Basildon..) . Shazza wouldn't give me her name until I told her mine (I did..) - how shy compared to other Essex girls I've known.

She wanted to know what I wanted & what my complaint was.. I explained I didn't want anything from her, had no complaint, but that Justine had decided to put me through....

Then I asked who she worked for .. She said worked for "Club La Costa".. I asked which "Club La Costa" - She said "Club La Costa"... I then explained there were 8 "Club La Costa"s.. and read them out...
    02448397 CLUB LA COSTA PLC
    04569527 D CLUB LA COSTA HOLIDAYS LIMITED Dissolved
    06868473 CLUB LA COSTA LEISURE LIMITED
    SC159128 CLUB LA COSTA OPTIONS LIMITED
    03448182 D CLUB LA COSTA PROMOTIONS LIMITED Dissolved
    03700665 CLUB LA COSTA TRAVEL CLUB LIMITED
    03123199 CLUB LA COSTA (UK) PLC
    SC184002 CLUB LA COSTA VACATION CLUB LIMITED
    She said it was Promotions she worked for & she'd worked there 9 years... Odd says I they were dissolved by the authorities in 2008...

I suggested again that this all sounded very fishy & dishonest, fraudulent & immoral and she should leave her employment forthwith & find an honest job...

She didn't seem happy about this.. and kept wanting to give me "Head Office's 'phone number" - I explained I didn't want that thank you very much and was very happy talking to her...

She said she'd terminate the call - I asked did she know what Essex Trading standards thought of her company - she said she didn't know.. I suggested this was dishonest & she did know..and she should find an honest job... eventually, sadly she hung up...

Only took 23 minutes... hopefully cost them something...

Bunch of c****s, I wouldnae touch they with a barge-pole...

Cheers!

Lodger
  • nicolefrenzy
    Options
    good on you but this did make me laugh
    Eventually I speak to a "Sharon" in Pitsea (near Basildon..) . Shazza wouldn't give me her name until I told her mine (I did..) - how shy compared to other Essex girls I've known

pmsl
  • Loucien
    Loucien Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just recived a call from a company (couldnt hear what name she said - think cash media ?)saying that my partner had entered this competion in September to win a hoilday, and he hadnt won, but a week ago it was their 10th anniversary and he was a name drawn out for a holiday for 4 people to anywhere in europe, she said I have to ring this other number and they will send me out the details in writting and the brochures.
    I thought I read on here little while ago that this was a scam, and the number you called was a premium rate number?
    The number does start 0800

Have I won or is it a scam? :confused:
    It's a timeshare - you have to travel to a venue where they do a 2-3hour persentation. ANd they want an admin fee of "29 per person.
  • squelchy69
    Options
    We just recieved our call from Lynne at CLC Resorts. We had just 1 hour to claim our holiday. Needless to say, we haven't bothered!
    Cheers Moneysavers!:beer:
  • minimeehan
    Options
    I called them to ask if, as my partner is in the armed forces and we have no way of knowing where he'll be in the UK, I could travel with my kids and a friend?

No.

If I was a single parent?

No.

If I was in a relationship but not living together?

No.

If my partner was posted in, say Germany and I was in the UK with school aged children?

No.

If I was a young widow with children?

No.

I get the feeling they don't like widows, orphans, single parents or indeed uncommitted adults!

Oh well, if it seems to good to be true.....It generally is!
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ask them if civil unions are OK to get one of their "prizes" and if not why not........
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure