Financial Education Campaign guides discussion

Options

Comments

• st1sof
    Options
    Got the following back from my MP Frank Doran (Aberdeen North):

Dear st1sof,

Thank you very much for your email regarding financial education. Unfortunately due to prior commitments I was unable to attend the debate. However, I do support the idea of introducing financial education into the curriculum and I have written to the Secretary of State at the Department for Education so that he is aware of your views. I will be in touch with you again as soon as I receive a response.

etc.
  • stuteach
    Options
    Hi There

As an avid reader of the current situation on FE in schools, and user of this site, I am over the moon that our HT has decided to have one period a week of FE in our school for S2 pupils. Not a great deal of time, but a great start, and probably enough to test the water and see how far we can take it. Really looking forward to taking this on next session.

Will keep up-to-date.

Cheers
  • Former_MSE_Wendy
    Options
    stuteach wrote: »
    Hi There

As an avid reader of the current situation on FE in schools, and user of this site, I am over the moon that our HT has decided to have one period a week of FE in our school for S2 pupils. Not a great deal of time, but a great start, and probably enough to test the water and see how far we can take it. Really looking forward to taking this on next session.

Will keep up-to-date.

Cheers

Thanks stuteach, that's great news. Do keep us updated :)
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • Jewel274
    Options
    Skills qualifications from Edexccel | Money and Finance Skills.

This qualification written by Nationwide is fab and explains everything students need to know . :T
  • robotwars
    robotwars Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Although I agree that financial education should start earlier and should be formalised in schools, I do my bit as a sixth form co-ordinator. I recommend that my students sign up to MSE newsletter and use the website to find information. So many have questions about Student Finance and how to get the best possible deal on train fares to visit uni, that I would be lost without the MSE website!
  • Tigsmom
    Tigsmom Posts: 290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2012 at 7:46AM
    Options
    I'm in my 40's, never had financial education at school, fell into the credit card frenzy and now have just had to start a debt management plan because a change in my circumstances have meant that I can no longer pay for my debt. I have a young family. I am ashamed to be in this situation and think that the sooner financial education is brought into school the better so that my children will never end up in the mess that I am in. What also concerns me is that even though I have had to seek help to clear my debts I still have no clue how to manage my money. I have done the 'budget planner' and worked out how much I should have to live on but how do I relate this to the day to day actual spending? I was not taught spreadsheets at school because my school didn't have computers in the 1980's. Is there a programme/tool/website that can teach me how to keep my personal accounts?
  • kfbowden
    Options
    Hello,

I'm currently in limbo with making a good financial decision, because I will be starting 2 courses in September, have 2 jobs but 1 I will have to resign from and recently moved.

The courses I am starting are PGCE (part time, 2 years) and Maths: second chance (2 hrs pw, 1 year). I have to do my maths because I don't have the right grade and despite the PGCE is part time its like a full time course. Although being in lectures for 1 day I have to have a placement, study out of university hours and do extra ontop.

The reason for resigning one of my jobs is for education purposes and realising I am taking on too much. I am not Super-woman. Also, I have to consider commuting time as I will be cycling where-ever and whenever I can.

Due to this, I am relying on 1 job to pay bills and other expenses which I know wont cover everything. I'm not worrying (yet) because one way or another I am going to be in debt and there is no way to avoid it unless I win the lottery (unlikely)

I have a student account with an overdraft which wont be free from 1st November because my course is part time. The advice I was given from Halifax was: look at other student bank accounts and loans. Not incredibly useful as I don't want to fall into a trap.

Any help, advice, links will be very welcome!

Thank you.
  • Beachguild
    Options
    When I heard of the success in the financial education campaign earlier this month, I rushed to volunteer. I logged onto the Pfeg site and volunteered.

Imagine my surprise when I received an email yesterday to say that they couldn't accept me because I was NOT a member of the ICAEW or the Prudential. As they sponsor the organisation and they will have to train people and get them CRB checked they couldn't accept anyone from other professional bodies.

I am an FCCA, I have had my own business, I have been qualified for 18 years. I have lectured finance. I am CRB checked and I have work with teenagers. I don't understand if you ask for volunteers why would you turn them away before you have even asked if they are suitable.

Once again business interests and politics seem to have got in the way of a really important campaign. I guess I will have to go it alone.
  • rivaking76
    Options
    My brother and i are currently caught up in trying to plan ahead for the years to come so we're dealing with an Investment Company called IPG Property Investment Group. My brother and I are new to this although we both know others who have done similar investing and one of them recommended IPG who have presented themselves in a professional, non pushy way when explaining quite complicated details of the plan they have researched extensively for our convenience.

We have one more meeting with the financial advisor so i will not let him leave until my mind is at ease and this isn't a con.

So please, if anyone knows of ANY reason at ALL that this group is shonky in any way at all, I plead with you to reply to this post ASAP. Please Help
  • lynneinjapan
    Options
    Hi rivaking76, re IPG:

Here's a thread about what sounds like it could be the same company - but the OP there was at the other end of the transaction, considering selling a house to them. The thread is three years old and the company number is different - in fact looking up the company number on duedil.com takes me to The Letting Agent Ltd, which was wound up in 2011. Still a property-related business but doesn't sound as if it was doing the same thing.

When I looked up IPG on duedil.com I got this company (in Gateshead), which may or may not be related to the one in the other thread, and may or may not be the company you're dealing with. Jumping ahead to near the end of the other thread, this company seems to have been brought into the discussion too. There's a lot there for you to plough through but I think you might find it worth reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure