Financial Education Campaign guides discussion

Options

Comments

• Pacificgas
    Options
    My MP, Craig Whitaker (Calder Valley), replied that (My Paraphrasing) although this was a very good thing which he would support, he would not have time to become fully involved due partly to his time commitment to the Education Select Committee of which he is a member. Therefore he will not be joining.

On the general question, I believe that whatever emerges will be too ambitious and for that reason will fail the vast majority of children.

I hope that such messages as "Borrowing does not make you richer" and "You need money to buy things" will be properly taught.

Also 50% off means 4 for 2, 50% extra free means 3 for 2 etc
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have alerted my neighbour, a school governor, to the problem.
  • jules_ana
    Options
    Hi MSE Wendy, would you be able to tell me if Ed Balls is on the list? Many thanks!
  • Tangoed66
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for your email and for bringing the launch of this new All Party Group to my attention. As a Minister I am not permitted to become a member of any All Party Groups. However I certainly support the intentions of the Group which I agree with you is an area of vital importance and I will endeavour to keep updated with any reports the Group may produce.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Since the time I was Shadow Paymaster General, I have been very engaged with this topic, spending a lot of time with MBNA in Chester (now Bank of America) encouraging them to fund and run a programme for schools in my constituency.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you once again for writing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yours sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stephen O’Brien[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Stephen O'Brien MP[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for International Development[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tel: 020 7219 6315[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • SJMSRM
    Options
    Had a lovely House of Commons' letter through today from Gavin Williamson (South Staffordshire)

"Thank you ever so much for contacting me in relation to the APPG for Financial Education for young people.
    I agree with you that this project is highly worthwhile and I think it could be important for young people.
    I would be very happy to join the group and offer my support for the good work that is being done by Justin Tomlinson MP"

Whoop Whoop - he's on Board!!!
    :T:T:T
  • sofietrouble
    Options
    Pacificgas wrote: »

I hope that such messages as "Borrowing does not make you richer" and "You need money to buy things" will be properly taught.

Also 50% off means 4 for 2, 50% extra free means 3 for 2 etc

Could not agree more!!

I got this disappointing reply:

Thank you for contacting me about financial education for young people.
    I believe that it is now more important than ever that we bring up a generation of financially literate young people, who are able to deal with the financial challenges they will face as adults, whether it’s choosing financial products or planning for a secure financial future.
    Financial education is currently part of the personal, social, health and economic education syllabus for key stages 1 to 4 and it is the responsibility of teachers, not Government, to decide how best to teach financial capability. Although I recognise that the delivery of this component has proved difficult for schools to implement. Therefore the Government plans to ensure that teachers will have the skills they need to teach finance effectively, and not just in isolated financial literacy lessons.
    Beyond school, better financial education will enable individuals to have greater personal responsibility for their finances. As a step in the right direction the Government has tasked the Consumer Financial Education Body (CFEB) to deliver a free financial advice service to launch later this year.
    In light of recent economic uncertainty it is imperative that the next generation are more financially aware. I believe the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) will help achieve. However, as a member of the Government, I am not permitted to join an All-Party Parliamentary Group.
    Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.
    Yours sincerely

Is it really true that Govt members are not allowed to join???
    If so then why is it called the "ALL PARTY" group??? Surely that must include the party in power? I'm confused...
  • stayathomemum
    stayathomemum Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 January 2011 at 12:46AM
    Options
    Firstly, although my username is "stayathomemum", I'm now back at work, and employed as a Learning Support Assistant in a local primary school. I really believe that Financial Education is key for children. In my school, we have a themed "Money Week", where all lessons have an element of money, or finance, linked in to it. The kids love it and really enjoy filling their own savings books with virtual money throughout the week. They have to choose between being a savvy saver or elect to spend some of their "cash" on a special activity on Friday afternoon. :)

I emailed Adam Afriyie (MP for Windsor) regarding this issue and received the following (very disappointing reply, IMO):

Dear Mrs Smith
    Thank you for your email regarding financial education for young people, which I received today.

You raise some interesting points in your email about young people and their understanding of debt and finances. As a parent, I certainly agree that it is really important that our children are financially literate and able to deal with the financial challenges they will face as adults.

(You will recognise this para from other replies) :mad:
    Financial education is currently part of the personal, social, health and economic education syllabus for key stages 1 to 4 and it is the responsibility of teachers, not Government, to decide how best to teach financial capability.

The Coalition Government plans to provide teachers with the training to get the skills they need to teach finance effectively, and not just what are, sometimes, isolated financial literacy lessons.

Beyond school, better financial education should enable individuals to have greater personal responsibility for their finances. Therefore, the Government has also tasked the Consumer Financial Education Body (CFEB) to deliver a free financial advice service to launch later this year.

In regard to the all Party Paliamentary Group, there are so many of these groups that, like all MPs, I am simply unable to attend them all. However, I remain committed to raising the concerns of local residents and would be more than happy to contact the Rt Hon Michael Gove, on your behalf if you wish me to. Please do let me know.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write.

Yours sincerely
    etc etc

I will be emailing Mr Afriyie back and asking him to take the matter up with Michael Gove, has he kindly offered. I believe the Government has a responsibility here and, as has been demonstrated on this thread, some MPs are prepared to get involved.

Watch this space!
    stayathomemum
  • Cazzkins
    Cazzkins Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I contacted my MP, John Glen & here's his welcome reply, which he copied Justin Tomlinson MP in to:

Dear Caren

Yes , I think this is a very worthwhile initiative and I would be happy to join the group

Very best

John

Thanks John! :T
  • ladyday
    ladyday Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    I emailed Dr Andrew Murrison MP but sadly he has not replied to me so I would be interested to know if he has joined the group.
  • Thank you for your email concerning the launch of the APPG for financial Education for young people on January 31st.
    I would be happy to attend this meeting depending on the time as I do have engagements in the constituency until the early afternoon. I will contact Mr Tomlinson’s office for further information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure