Financial Education Campaign guides discussion

Options

Comments

• sgt.tibbs1977
    Options
    Thanks for the response from Mary Glindon MP, as below:

Thank you for your email.

I will be attending the launch of the APPG for Financial Education for Young People today to find out more information.

Yours sincerely
    Mary Glindon, MP
    Information provided is general and not specific to an individuals position. For more specific advice an agency such as National Debtline, Citizens Advice Bureau, CCCS or Payplan should be contacted.

Any opinions given are my own and not those of my employer, past or present. ;)
  • slujet
    Options
    Just realised the meeting was today. I wonder if he attended???

I have already accepted an invitation to the meeting to launch the APPG for Financial education for Young People on 31st January 2011.

Whether I am able to attend will depend upon prior commitments earlier that day.

Since educational matters are devolved to the Scottish Parliament and the local authority you may also wish to pursue these issues with your MSP and Councillors.

Regards

Ian Davidson MP
    Glasgow South West
  • missmilliebean
    Options
    Kevin Brennan has signed up!

"Thank you for your email requesting that I join the All Party Parliamentary Group for Financial Education for Young People.

I am happy to confirm that as you have requested I have joined this group.

Yours

Kevin Brennan MP for Cardiff West."

Wicked!! I wish i had something like this when I was at school!

:j
  • graham131
    Options
    This was the reply i received to my email to my MP

Thank you for your email. As an elected member of the Health Select Committee, with the health budget covering one third of all Government expenditure, and with very major health reforms under consideration and the new Health Bill published, I have a considerable additional work load which for time being will prevent me from joining other committees.
    My best wishes,
    David Tredinnick

Sent: 27 January 2011 17:12
    To: TREDINNICK, David
    Subject: All Party Parliamentary Group for Financial Education for Young People

Good Afternoon Mr Tredinnick,
    I'm a constituent of yours and am writing to ask that you join the 'All Party Parliamentary Group for Financial Education for Young People' due to be launched on 31 Jan 2011.
    On the back of the debt ridden financial crisis and tuition fee rise I think ensuring young people understand money, consuming and debt is more important than ever– and I'm not alone. 97% of a poll of 8,000 supported compulsory financial education in schools (source: MoneySavingExpert.com) and over 30,000 people signed FinancialEducationPetition.com.
    This would help ensure less mis-selling, better informed consumers, and maybe less future national financial problems. The APPG will allow you to represent me and other constituents, you can join at the event or by contacting Justin Tomlinson MP's office, please let me know your intentions.
    Yours sincerely,
  • kindlesgirl
    Options
    Elizabeth Truss of SW Norfolk did reply to my email but is not directly supporting this campaign but is working to improve overall Maths standards in schools - asked a PMQ recently, so hopefully she will continue to push for this.
    Sealed Pot 617 - target £150 only managed £27 in 2009!
  • danant
    danant Posts: 36 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Do you want some free financial education in your local schools this year?

Just pop along to your local Barclays branch and speak to the manager about Barclays Money Skills or visit; http://group.barclays.com/Sustainability/Community-investment/Banking-on-Brighter-Futures/Editorial/1231783696836.html to find out more.

You don't have to be a customer and it is totally free. There are activity packs available for 7-11 yr olds, 12-15 yr olds, 14-17 yr olds and 16-25 yr olds.

Staff permitting they will even come out to your school and talk to the children themselves or give the school all the information required for the school to deliver it themselves.

Not a long term solution to this campaign, but something that can help in the short term.
  • kwg1
    kwg1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 February 2011 at 11:46PM
    Options
    I followed Martin's instructions because I totally agree with the idea - and our MP has joined the campaign. I received this email today.

"I have been asked to respond to your recent email to Eilidh Whiteford MP in relation to the above subject.
    Although Eilidh was unfortunately unable to attend the meeting to which you referred, she has joined the All-Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Financial Education for Young People.

In the event that you have any further query, please do not hesitate to get back in touch."

It is a brilliant idea and a generation of financially savvy kids is bound to help the economy.
  • Financial_Tales
    Options
    Scotland is ahead of the game when it comes to Financial Education. Under the new Curriculum for Excellence (Aug 2010) both primary and secondary schools are required to teach financial literacy.
  • clareneal
    Options
    I sent the standard email on 26th Jan.
    Had reply today - She's not signing up :( Hasn't time evidently... :huh:
    ---

Thank you for your recent correspondence in support of financial education for young people. I agree that this is an important issue.

Sadly I meet many people at my advice surgeries who have fallen into financial difficulties, and I am all too aware of how devastating an impact this can have on their lives. I therefore welcome moves to educate young people on how best to handle their personal finances, with a view to minimising the risk of future problems developing.

Unfortunately I am unable to commit to joining the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Financial Education for Young People myself. I don’t believe in joining all party groups unless I can attend meetings and be active in them (there are hundreds of groups!).

At present I am overwhelmed with work on behalf of individual constituents and dealing with the complex issues of the cuts to all our public services. I hope you will appreciate that attending more meetings is just not possible.

Yours sincerely,
    Rt Hon Joan Ruddock MP

---
    A disappointed MSE follower
  • wine-ed
    Options
    I followed the instructions on Martin's Money Tips and sent an email to my MP. I received a reply a week or so later saying thanks but that he was too busy to get involved on this issue. Wish I could just say that in my job! Sometimes don't know why we bother...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure