Financial Education Campaign guides discussion

Options

Comments

• Wee_Bargain_Hunter
    Wee_Bargain_Hunter Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 March 2011 at 2:37PM
    Options
    Just been listening to an interesting programme about what's happening with regards to financial education in schools across Northern Ireland. It's about a 20 minute slot at the start of the "Saturday Magazine" on Radio Ulster. There was a good quote at the end - never yearn for more than you can earn!

The link for today's programme should be up on i-player later on.
    Edit - programme now on i-player http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00y508k
  • evonnebevan
    Options
    am currently out of work, looking to go back to college and train in another field and trying to establish what happens to my benefits...can you help??
  • Silverbird
    Silverbird Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I got my response back from Andrew Turner yesterday.

Unfortunately it was the standard letter that seems to have been sent out to all interested parties and has been posted on this thread already.

He didn't mention whether he'd be joining or whether he attended. I'm guessing not.
    Thrilled to be DEBT-FREE as of 26.03.10 :D
    Hubby DEBT-FREE as of 27.03.15 :D

Debt at LBM (June '07): £8189.19
  • emidee
    emidee Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To my surprise, I received a letter this morning in response to my email:

"Ref: FINANCIAL EDUCATION

Thank you for your email of 19th January, regarding financial education for young people. I absolutely agree with you on the importance of informed consumers.

I am therefore please to say that I have joined the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Financial Education for Young People. I feel, as you do, that increasing the amount and quality of financial education for young people is a sensible response to an economic crisis that was based on debt and credit issues.

Thank you once again for taking the time to get in touch on this issue"....etc etc.

That's restored my faith in local politics somewhat - tbh I didn't even expect a response, let alone a successful one!

:D
  • trying_2_b_good
    Options
    My MP replied last month, all very positive

Thank you for your email. May I apologise for the delay in replying to your email but I have been receiving a large amount of correspondence recently.

I have now joined the APPG for Financial Education for Young People. Unfortunately I was unable to attend the launch due to existing commitments but I have spoken to the MPs and the advisory groups involved and I think it’s a very promising group. It is extremely important that teenagers and young people have the skills, confidence and knowledge to make informed financial decisions and this can only be achieved if sufficient time is devoted to the subject.

Thank you writing to me about this subject. If you have any questions about this or any other matter please do get in touch.

Regards

John Leech
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge #148 - £59.93
    Crazy Clothes Challenge # 103 - £84/£200 £30 Coat/£12 shirt/£23 jeans/£6 t-shirt/£13 2 x tops
    Shoes £79/£100: Cowboy boots, canvas pumps, re-heal boots/ £25 safari shoes
  • agha_hadi
    Options
    i recently purchased a second hand vehicle, and just found out that there's an outstanding finance on the car and the name on the finance is different to the name of previous owner.
    wher do i stand legaly on this matter?

kind regards
    agha hadi
  • agha_hadi
    Options
    i recently purchased a second hand vehicle, and just found out that there's an outstanding finance on the car and the name on the finance is different to the name of previous owner.
    wher do i stand legaly on this matter?

kind regards
    agha hadi
  • TimHarrison
    Options
    Hi there everyone,

I'm after some help and guidance to be honest. I work as a Manager in a Children's Home for boys between 12 and 18 with Emotional Behavioural Difficulties, we also have an onsite school and have up to 16 children living there.

Our education is already adapted to ensure that the kids achieve their full potential, so we have a wider range of vocational subjects, but I'm looking for some help/advice/guidance, in developing a financial education programme for them. I have been told that I can deliver a class on this if I develop the programme, I have also been told that could possibly get it accredited. And I'm sure that if it was successful I could roll it out in all of our homes across the country.

Statistically the children that I look after, are more likely to suffer with financial issues later in life, so I'm keen to try to educate them as much as possible. I'm not from a teaching backround, so am looking for suggestions on content, delivery and lesson structure.

I could harp on for ages about this, but I'm really looking for anyone to contact me who is interested by this and think they could help. I feel I'm lucky in the sense that as soon as I develop this, I can start delivering and am not restricted by the constraints that most mainstream schools are. This is a great opportunity to help financially educate some of the people that need this the most.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and MARTIN, if there is anyone you could put me in contact with, then I would really appreciate it.

Tim
  • Wee_Bargain_Hunter
    Options
    There was a 20 minute slot on a radio programme a couple of weeks ago about what's happening in various schools in NI. It might give you some ideas listening to what they are doing. This is the link - scroll down to the podcast for the 5th March and it's at the start of the programme. It's only available for another 5 days. Good luck!
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks this kind of lobbying is not the right way to go.

The pressure on schools and pupils is enough, and with low standards of attainment, particular in key subjects, do we really want the children to become money orientated? Whilst understanding finance is important, this is partly the responsibility of parents, who will often understand the socio-economic situation), and only partly down to the governement. When I was in school 15 years ago, we did receive 3 or 4 seminars in financial education and it was probably as much as we wanted to hear.

I personally think that if we are going to force children to study finance, it should be done under a broader topic of a citizen charter, teaching people about rights and respoonsibilities, the law, and of course, financial law. This campaign appears to be a MSE ego trip and at no point have I seen anything other than Martin Lewis side of the arguement. Why not have a debate on the "forum" and really discuss both sides of the arguement, bring in people with opposing ideas, etc, before using a "non political information" portal to push someones political agenda. This appears to be a typical tabloid approach to an issue with far reaching implications ...
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing