Financial Education Campaign guides discussion

Options

Comments

• Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    Options
    see the petition rises slowly, but considering the "11 million" that visited in July today's number represents 0.62% of visitors agreeing with Martin's campaign. This says more to what people think is important, about to time to have a rethink
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • elliea_2
    Options
    Hi, I don't know if anyone can help, I am at the end of my tether with the studying process in this country. Having worked very hard in a dying industry, I decided to do something about it and re-train for a different profession. Having successfully completed a degree this year my intention was to further my studies and become a Teacher. Obviously to do this I would need to gain a place on either a PGCE or GTP programme, what I wasn't aware of was that there appears to be no student loan support for Postgraduate study.

I am now faced with the fact that I simply cannot afford £9,000 fees to pay for my Teacher Training. Is anyone else in the same boat, what are your thoughts? Next Step told me to take out a career development loan, repayments would begin 1 month after the completion of my course. That would be ok providing I could find a job 1 month after, but that isn't very likely for anyone at the moment.

If anyone could provide advice or suggestions no matter how small it would be very much appreciated, thank you.
  • Stryder
    Stryder Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    Options
    elliea wrote: »
    Hi, I don't know if anyone can help, I am at the end of my tether with the studying process in this country. Having worked very hard in a dying industry, I decided to do something about it and re-train for a different profession. Having successfully completed a degree this year my intention was to further my studies and become a Teacher. Obviously to do this I would need to gain a place on either a PGCE or GTP programme, what I wasn't aware of was that there appears to be no student loan support for Postgraduate study.

I am now faced with the fact that I simply cannot afford £9,000 fees to pay for my Teacher Training. Is anyone else in the same boat, what are your thoughts? Next Step told me to take out a career development loan, repayments would begin 1 month after the completion of my course. That would be ok providing I could find a job 1 month after, but that isn't very likely for anyone at the moment.

If anyone could provide advice or suggestions no matter how small it would be very much appreciated, thank you.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/education/pgce/index.htm

http://www8.open.ac.uk/explained/how-to-apply/financial-support

Good luck
    ............... Have you ever wondered what
    ¦OO¬¬ O[]¦ Martin would look like
    ¦ _______ ¦ In a washing machine
    ¦ ((:money:)) ¦
    ¦
    ¦
    ¦''''''''''''""""""¦
  • flimsier
    flimsier Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With there being far more schools converting to Academies than anticipated, this campaign is too late in my view. Academies don't need to follow the national curriculum, so getting financial education onto the national curriculum would make little difference.

I would argue that the resources that Martin and others have already developed could be marketed more effectively, and cheaper, with a major school partner, or through an Academy chain.

The sad thing is that the new OFSTED framework will mean that schools are less bothered about things like this though. Especially Academy chains which pride themselves on results and outstanding ofsted inspections!!

As I've said somewhere else, I don't think schools should have ever increasing numbers of "compulsory" things to teach, but I do welcome the option for high quality resources and curriculum plans to be made available for development by individual schools for their students and their context!
    Can we just take it as read I didn't mean to offend you?
  • rumblytum
    Options
    I've had this reply from my MP re: attending the Financial Education debate this week:

"Thank you for your message.

I hope to attend and if possible speak in this debate on Thursday. This is very much an area of concern to me as a member of the All Party Group on Debt and also in my capacity as Chairman of the All Party Groups on Social Mobility and Credit Unions. It is also relevant in that I serve on the Education Select Committee. My own view is somewhat nuanced – I believe the key is a combination of functional maths capability and grounding in personal responsibility rather than, for example, a bolt on to PSHE. The report from the All Party Group on Financial Education, chaired by my colleague Justin Tomlinson, came out yesterday and provides some important food for thought.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

Sincerely

Damian Hinds

p.s. there are a number of articles on debt and related matters on the ‘Debt & credit unions’ section on the home page of https://www.damianhinds.com. "

:T
  • janiec
    janiec Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I did as Martin suggested and emailed my MP John Glen yesterday. Have just got back from work and he has already replied. What he says is interesting so I am copying it below:

Many thanks for contacting me about compulsory financial education. I believe it would interest you to know I am a founding member of the APPG for Financial Education, and a close friend of Fiona Bruce MP, who is holding this debate. As a result, I will undoubtedly be attending.

I am in complete agreement with you that in our economic situation, the need for young people to have a fundamental understanding of finance has never been greater. I understand the Government is currently conducting an internal review of Personal, Social, Health and Economic education to explore how we can best deliver the provision of financial education. I am sure the issues raised in the debate and the points made will be taken into account.

I hope this reassures you that I am committed to ensuring our young people have a sound financial education that will ultimately go some way towards a more secure economy in the future. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Best regards

John

I'm really quite impressed!! :T
  • lisalouauger
    Options
    :)Emailed my local representative last night and got a reply this morning!
    I don't think he's going to the debate but he has informe me that he supports the idea and will closely monitor today's discussion. Better than nothing i suppose
    2015 win value so far: £90
  • chrishugs
    Options
    Dear ,

Thank you for your email to Edward Davey MP regarding the compulsory financial education in schools petition. Although, strictly speaking, this would be an issue which would fall into the portfolio of the Department for Education, as Minister for Consumer Affairs with a responsibility for debt management, Edward takes a keen interest in this issue. Edward himself has recently announced plans to prevent store cards from luring people into expensive arrangements with introductory offers in an effort to help consumers avoid unmanageable levels of personal debt.

Unfortunately, Edward is unable to attend the debate today as he out of the country on matters for his Ministerial role in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, but he will be writing to Nick Gibb MP, Minister of State for Schools, to raise this issue on your behalf.
    We will send you his response when we receive it. If you would prefer to receive a paper copy of his] reply, please let us know, otherwise we will send you an electronic copy.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to get in touch,
    Yours sincerely,

Rebecca Cooney, Office of Edward Davey MP
    Constituency Office: 21 Berrylands Road, Surbiton, Surrey, KT5 8QX
    Tel: 020-8288 0161

The Liberal Democrats and their elected representatives may use the information you have given to contact you. Some contacts may be automated. You may opt out at any time by contacting us.
  • terry9w
    Options
    Email from Robert Halfon earlier today:

Dear Terence,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

I agree that financial education would benefit our children once they leave education: this is a very sensible proposal, and something that I would like to see happen.

However I think that we must wait for the report on the National Curriculum to be published before deciding what should be compulsory for state schools.

Very Best Wishes to you, and Merry Christmas,
    Robert
    --
    Robert Halfon MP - working hard for Harlow
  • Baa
    Baa Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I emailed my MP (Phillip Lee, Bracknell) and got a very standard letter back on posh paper, with a 1st class stamp. Not sure whether the culture of austerity has reached our MPs yet!

The reply wasn't helpful (didn't mention the debate at all!). His view is that teachers (not the Government) should decide "how best to teach financial capability. The Government plans to ensure that teachers will have the skills they need to teach finance effectively, and not just in isolated financial literacy lessons."

He also said his colleague the Schools Minister would look at the APEG report and make it pat of the national curriculum review. And anyway "the Government has endorsed the Money Advice Service to provide financial information, advice and guidance to consumers and individuals." Sort of misses the point methinks.

I'll email him back to see if he even attended the debate...

Janet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport