🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Pregnancy scan pictures - How much?

Options

Comments

• kmeast
    kmeast Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    We received three scan pictures at 12 weeks and two at 20 weeks, but they were free. I'm shocked that they they can charge for these - who would decide not to have them?

(Although our health authority saves money by not offering epidurals - I would have paid thousands for one of those at the time!!):rotfl:
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses - just wanted to do a bit of checking before I went into rant mode!

In response to some of the points made - the trust claim there is a risk from 12 week scans so they don't do them (yeah right!), they are also skint so I suspect this is a nice little earner as most people will cough up to get the picture. Yes we do live in a well off area - Bath - well the house prices are ridiculous, I'm not sure wages are that good, and the same trust covers large areas of rural Wiltshire where money is harder to come by.

In terms of problems to be fair they will do scans as required so we've actually already had two at 6 and 8 weeks due to concerns - obviously at that early a stage there isn't much to see, although its amazing to see a heartbeating at 6 weeks when the baby is only 4mm in length!

When you add on the £2.50 minimum parking charge it gets to be an expensive experience.

Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge whatever the going rate is to have the memory and to be able to share it with the little one when he/she is old enough but its a "National" Health Service so we should surely all be paying (or not) the same!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Sting_2
    Sting_2 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    When my wife was pregnant (our daughter is now 1) we paid £2, but when we went to the same department for a hearing test I noticed it had gone up to £3. If you are interested we live in Leicestershire.

My sister who is now pregnant (and lives in Northamptonshire) is not only very impatient, but also quite rich, and couldn't wait for her 1st NHS scan so paid to have a scan done privately, it cost her £55.

£10 seems very steep. In our hospital there was a sign next to the machine which states the money is not for profit but for training of the staff.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    We're thinking of getting some copies of our scans done. OH asked in Boots and said that they'd do copies at £1 per picture. Their machine was broken at the time though.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • nats3006
    nats3006 Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Options
    well i had my scan in june this year and it cost £2!!
    "Have you ever noticed that if you rearranged the letters in mother in law, they come out to Woman Hitler?":p :p:p

If money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches?:D

Can you breathe out of your nose and mouth at the same time?:cool:

Why don't the hairs on your arms get split ends?:mad:
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    They didn't sell scan pictures when my 9 year old was born and I just had one scan at 20 weeks. When I had my 7 year old, I got the one scan at 20 weeks but was able to buy a picture for £1.

I'm expecting again now, and have a 12 week scan on Friday and can buy a picture for £2. I'll also get a scan at 20 weeks too.

All the babies were under the care of Durham hospital.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry to be the devils advocate here, but I should think that a NHS trust in debt will see this kind of thing as a great way to make some much needed money without being controversial. EG - not prescribing a drug like herceptin to women with early stage breast cancer will attract a lot of unwanted attention (I know this example is a little out of date now), whereas charging £10 for a scan photo, people will moan (fair enough) but ultimately it isn't life saving and most people can afford it (although they probably have much better things to spend £10 on, especially getting ready for a new baby!).

I know it seems unfair but I suppose I'd rather they charged for these things and had a little more money in the pot to avoid cuts in more essential procedures and services. Also - obviously at £10 per print will recoup the cost in days - but am I right in thinking that a printer for the ultrasound machine is not essential for the mother/baby's care, and the printer will cost probably £100-1000 and with maintenance costs as well... I'm just saying it isn't a cost free service and I think on the whole the days are gone where the NHS can do things "out of the goodness of their hearts"!

Also it isn't the trusts fault that they have been asked to shed debts built up over years and years in just 12 months!

Feel free to berate me I won't take offence...!
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    I know it seems unfair but I suppose I'd rather they charged for these things and had a little more money in the pot to avoid cuts in more essential procedures and services.

I agree but this probably isn't the case and I am sure they are still making as many cuts elsewhere in the more essential services
  • Princessa_2
    Options
    When I was pregnant last year I probably had about 10 scans or more as I was high risk (twins) and had one every fortnight at one point. We got a few 'pictures' each time. We went to two different hopitals, the first ne asked for a donation of £2.50 which went to the prem baby unit, which we gave (though there was just a sign saying it, they didn't actually ask for it) and the second hospital didn't charge.
  • Princessa_2
    Options
    I didn't pay anything last year, (box for donations). They were very generous with giving us images each time I went for a scan. Had about 17 scans in all.

You had 17 scans and didn't even leave a donation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport