Pregnancy scan pictures - How much?

Options
We're expecting another little money burner, and just had the appointment through for the scan. We were somewhat surprised to see the cost of the scan picture if you want a copy has gone up from £4 two years ago to £10 :eek:

By way of background we are in one of three (I think) health authorities which don't do a 12 week scan (unless you pay £200 to have it done privately) and only do a 20 week scan, so they are already saving money.

Clearly the cost of producing these pictures is virtually nothing as its just the cost of the paper - thermal printer so not even any ink!

Obviously like all proud parents to be, we'll probably shell out for it, and fortunately for us its not a big issue (although for those on more limited means £10 could be harder to find), but I'm just curious what the going rate is around the country - are we being ripped off?
Adventure before Dementia!

Comments

• Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    £10 :eek: I think they were about £2.50 when I was pregnant 6 years ago and I bought 3 at a time

people will pay it though :)
  • code-a-holic
    Options
    I have paid £3.50 for the scans i have had for my 3 kids over the last 4 years. £10 is extortionate!
  • zztopgirl
    Options
    I didnt pay for mine 3 years ago, but they refuse to say the sex of the baby here. Definately didnt pay 10 years ago.

Thats really shocking that they only do scans at 20 weeks, im high risk and had to have scans every few weeks til i got to just over 20 weeks, then some more just before i was due. But surely they will miss any potenial complications the longer they put off doing scans?
  • super41
    super41 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    We paid £3 in February.
  • lauren_1
    lauren_1 Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    we paid £6.50 in april and the lovely sonographer put 3 copies in (1 for each grandma)
  • Baileys_Babe
    Options
    I didn't pay anything last year, (box for donations). They were very generous with giving us images each time I went for a scan. Had about 17 scans in all.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • india
    india Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    With my first son who is now 4 years old. I was told the 1st picture was free and additional pictures was £2.50.

I'm now pregnant with my 2nd and on friday I had a scan and they gave me three free pictures without me asking.

I think £10.00 is very steep.
  • gargoyle
    gargoyle Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    When I had my DD 6 years ago the first one was free, and the others were about two quid each. Although they never asked for the money.
    "Failure is always an option"

Sealed pot challenge #107 - still going strong
  • clarew
    clarew Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ours were either £1.50 or £2 each no more than that. around £6 in total for 3 copies.
    Do you live in a very wealthy area or something??!! Is a ridiculous amount to ask for, they are playing on the emotions, as they know everyone will want one, and have to pay that much to get it.
    Terribly sad on their part.
    Original mortgage 185k. 2003
    Current mortgage. 65k Jan 2020
    OP £321/month-Aiming to finish August 2025 instead of October 2028 (whilst keeping the 4 dependents fed,watered,clothed,sheltered and paying for school/activities paraphernalia):rotfl:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I paid £3 last year at the 12 week scan & should have paid the same at the 20 week scan but they never charged us (and we didn't remind them:o) I think £10 is extortinate & I'd be highlighting that with a letter to my local paper!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure