We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

startagain, Starts Again....... Again

Options

Comments

• Wordsmith
    Wordsmith Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you're feeling more positive, SA. I think you are right not to take the beta blockers until you've seen your psychologist. Have you got to sign on again before seeing him?

It must be a bit of a boost receiving a phone call out of the blue for a job possibility. Well done. But again you are right, don't take anything that isn't right for you. The right thing will come along soon enough.

I wish I could have been as busy on housework as you were yesterday. The extent of my domesticity was, or should have been, putting the washing in the washing machine. I had to do slightly more than this when the thing flooded the kitchen floor again. However, that did make me do the mountain of washing up this morning as my landlady's husband is coming in today to fix it.:o

Enjoy your day of pottering and nothingness.
    "Green pastures are before me,
    Which yet I have not seen;"
    I'd love to be a good example - instead, I am a horrible warning.
  • startagain_2
    Options
    Hello to two of my favourite MSE mates...
    What a lovely sunny day lays ahead of us, it seems.
    sw - hope you enjoyed your brekkie. I still have porridge everyday on these cold mornings. A bit of human central heating.
    Wordsmith - I am signing on Friday at the Jobcentre. It is only my second time this time so I hope they won't pressure me too much. It seems to depend on who the interviewer is, some are horrid, others are fine. But they are certainly much busier so perhaps they won't go into too much interrogation.
    I dread the washing machine flooding, especially as I have an upstairs flat. Imagine soaking the flat downstairs... crikey.
    Speak soon,
    SA
    2011 - New year, New start, New me
    [STRIKE]Planning on [/STRIKE] making my dreams a reality
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SA I dont think they can they pressure you at all. All you need to do is tell them what happened at the old place and i bet they will sympathise. They do know what it is like out 'there' and they know the difference between those that are looking for work and the people that are on Jeremy Kyle who do drugs and bad things.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • startagain_2
    Options
    SA I dont think they can they pressure you at all. All you need to do is tell them what happened at the old place and i bet they will sympathise. They do know what it is like out 'there' and they know the difference between those that are looking for work and the people that are on Jeremy Kyle who do drugs and bad things.

I do realise what you are saying but the problem is that they are target led these days, it isn't so much a public service as a "shovel them into anything there is" and make our figures look better. A lot of the staff are on short term contracts and they actually have stats taken into account when the contracts are reviewed/renewed.
    A bit of insider info.
    Unfortunately, the Jeremy Kyle types are regarded as almost unemployable and it is those of us who are genune and decent that cop the backlash.
    Trying to stay positive though ..... ;)

Hugs
    SA
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good grief i didn't realise that they were so target driven. Things have changed so much. We are target driven too - soon all kids will be studying till they are 18 and then i shan't have nice kids that appreciate being sixthformers i will have people who consider it a right. It is supposed to be good for the economy but i know A levels will have to be dumbed down even more - yuk.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear Sweet SW but innocent

I used to work for the Benefits Agency, jackie of all trades me! and believe me they are not sympathetic to why people leave their previous jobs, etc. As SA says they are target driven and are only interested in making their stats look good. As far as they are concerned, let's get everyone into a job, regardless of if it pays 1p an hour or not.

But I hope SA has a sympathetic advisor on Friday, who will not push her.

As for the job offer, take your time and think about what you want. Like you said, don't rush into it.

I have been asked to work full time here, but I have to weigh up the additional child care costs, with the extra money they are offering. spoke to DH about it this morning and he was saying he doesn't want me to work full time, which I thought was nice. I am in 2 minds, as I like having the 2 days to do what I want, usually working on avon and MS, but then it is my choice.

But CTC is probably going to go down to paying upto 70% childcare costs, which may really make it not worth my while going full time here.

So I haven't jumped in with both feet and said yes, am thinking about it, but only have until tomorrow. And only found out 4.30pm yesterday!
  • startagain_2
    startagain_2 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely right Aesop.
    In the short time that I was signing on last year, I had to attend a Back to Work course, renew my Job Seekers Agreement saying that I would be prepared to travel up to 90 mins each way to a job (that's why I took redundancy!) and was told after 6 weeks I should be lowering my sights.... Great. It is a recipe for disaster, IMO, and that attitude, I am sure, is why so many people go for the sick route and get signed off by their GP's.
    I am not going to dwell on it too much but because they don't factor in ever increasing transport and fuel costs and £ for £ you lose your HB it doesn't bode well for the job seeker these days.
    Sigh.....
    SA
  • robsmum_2
    robsmum_2 Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Options
    Startagain, Hi I have just found and read your diary and hope you don't mind if I subscribe. I kept thinking "that's me", "I feel like that". I have had long term M.E and have receovered enough to work part time but lost my confidence, got into debt, doubted my sanity. I felt relieved to read your diary and find I'm not alone, not going mad and then add menopausal into the mix and here we are.:mad:
    But we can and will be positive.
    Debt at start of DMP 1/6/09: £2942 - £1942
    Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
    £2 saving plan:-
  • startagain_2
    startagain_2 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Options
    robsmum wrote: »
    Startagain, Hi I have just found and read your diary and hope you don't mind if I subscribe. I kept thinking "that's me", "I feel like that". I have had long term M.E and have receovered enough to work part time but lost my confidence, got into debt, doubted my sanity. I felt relieved to read your diary and find I'm not alone, not going mad and then add menopausal into the mix and here we are.:mad:
    But we can and will be positive.

Hello and Welcome :)

Of course I don't mind if you subscribe, but I warn you it is warts and all :o I have a friend who has ME and it has been a real learning experience for me, it is so debilitating, I didn't realise.

Many if not all of my problems stem from an awful childhood. My mother ran away (during the night) when I was 2 and I was left with my Dad and passed from pillar to post until he remarried. I didn't get on with my stepmother and it just went from bad to worse. Ironic that in my mid fifties in I am still plagued by the memories and the consequences. I realise now that my bad behaviour in my teens was attention seeking and that I was severely emotionally damaged.
    It is not an easy life and I am sure that I am not an easy person but at last I have begun to understand what it is, and was, all about.

I cannot seem to sustain a relationship in this country and I have a long standing "friendship" with a guy from the Carribbean whose very laid back attitude seems to cope well with my neurosis.... ;) We talk on the phone lots and I visit when I can and he is "my fix".

So, welcome, NO you are not mad and don't let anyone persuade you otherwise. Feel free to comment, criticise or rant on here.

Hugs

SA
  • robsmum_2
    robsmum_2 Posts: 1,753 Forumite
    Options
    SA: Thank you for your warm welcome. I much prefer the warts and all approach.
    I firmly believe that many of our behaviours and attitudes come from aspects of the past and influence our current way of being, but also feel it takes strength to start to look deep inside our selves and understand the why and how.
    Hope I can contribute to your diary and cheer you on the way.

Having started the dayso positively, then got engrossed in your diary and popped into visit an elderly neighbour I must now get on and do some housework. Spring fever had gripped me and I now have a half dismantled living room - my total housework so far:eek:
    Will catch up with you later.
    Debt at start of DMP 1/6/09: £2942 - £1942
    Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
    £2 saving plan:-
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts