🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Money Club????

Options

Comments

• mazroy
    mazroy Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    well speak of the dvil and he shall appear eh....just had this mail from them in response to my cancellation email sent yesterday

the moneyclub
    Dear Member

Thank you for participating in the Money Club Trial. We are sorry you are leaving us, your membership is now cancelled (Cancellation reference ********). If you are still interested in saving Money with the Money Club, why not sign up to Money Club Lite. The 100% cash back site where you can earn whilst you shop. Note any cash back that you may have earned during your trial membership will be credited to you Money Club Lite account. To find out more please go to
    (Note: Should you wish to contact us with regards to your membership please put your questions in writing and either email us at enquiries@themoneyclub.co.uk or mail it to the address below, quoting your membership number and the cancellation reference.)

Yours Sincerely
    The Money Club
    Money Club House,
    Slough Road,
    Datchet,
    Berkshire SL3 9AU

anyone else had this?
  • tek-monkey
    tek-monkey Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My GF has just been stung by this lot too :(

I'm a bit confused though, can anyone request money from an account with just a sort code and account number? I can get those off a bank statement! Or did she give over her full card details, she can't remember?
  • himmelstoss
    Options
    I got a call from the Money Club today, very professional sounding and not pushy at all. Like others before me, I had answered a telephone survey (never again). I asked them to call me back in a couple of days, I know what my response will be (I was pretty sure it'd be a no, but seeing this thread has confirmed things for me - thanks to all who shared their experiences).
  • mazroy
    mazroy Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    tek-monkey wrote: »

I'm a bit confused though, can anyone request money from an account with just a sort code and account number? I can get those off a bank statement! Or did she give over her full card details, she can't remember?

If she signed up she would have been asked for her card details to pay the £1.00 for the trial period, im sure thats what i did but since contacting them to cancel im now pretty confident i wont hear from them again but im keeping an eye on the account.
  • safferj
    Options
    Do not use!!

If they call you, get off the phone immediately and get on with your day!

They offer nothing that isn't already available for free online with some basic searching, plus you don't have to listen to the rude sales people, like I did.
  • Scoobee_2
    Options
    Just been called by 'The Money Club' apparently after my number was given over by a friend (who doesn't do online shopping?!) so straight away you think it's got to be ok as it's been recommended...(it turns out my friend put my name n number forward as she was unsure and knew I'd think about it and investigate before committing to anything)
    However, the woman was sooooo pushy, bombarding me with such direct questions that it actually felt like she was in my personal space even though it was a phone call!
    I was sitting there just thinking, ok how much is this gonna cost, and eventually she got to "£1, 28 day trial, I'll send you your pack etc etc, and only £98 per year if you want to continue!"
    Although I didn't hand over my bank details, for what it's worth I don't think this company is dodgy per se as on balance they have got some very good reviews (maybe from people on the inside?!) and they seem to be best suited for people who don't have time to look around for themselves. And you have to be very quick off the mark if you want to cancel as a lot of people have said they had money taken out earlier than expected.

The only thing that alarmed me as such was when I asked how I can be sure they were only going to take £1, she just said I was covered by the direct debit guarantee which is authorised by my bank....well, I know how the DD system works, and I also know that DDs are deliberately designed to be flexible in terms of date and amounts, and controlled by the company taking the money; there is no way that the bank can monitor the amounts etc, they just deal with the problems afterwards. With the DD system so much of it is on good faith that the company will do what they say they will do! Whilst you might be lucky enough to get the bank to refund incorrectly paid amounts, you are out of pocket whilst they sort it.

When I asked if i could call back after thinking about it, she said they could only make outgoing calls...erm so how are you meant to call to cancel your membership then?!!! I will not be taking advantage of this deal! Just be aware!
    Scoobie :think:
  • Scoobee_2
    Options
    tek-monkey wrote: »

yep, just sort code and account number is all that is needed.....worrying isn't it....
  • LondresDave
    Options
    I am glad in reading this forum, a representative rang me this morning from The Money Club on 0116-225-3841 which is based somewhere around Leicestershire. They offered me cheap deals for wholesale prices on shopping, cheap deals on holidays and said they where ABTA bonded, cheap deals on all sorts of insurance from car, pet and household quoting me with different member cases. then they offered me the £1 deal, then I would get a package through the post with a CD-ROM. I refused to give them any information about my bank etc over the phone saying I refuse to do that, then I directed to their website (which personally think is poor) and said they will ring me back later in the week. So the answer is going to be a big fat NO, I also learnt the errors in my ways from REDSAVE.COM
  • a_senior_moment
    a_senior_moment Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 December 2010 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Just typed a lengthy review and lost it all so you are only going to get a brief summary.

Although normally very careful I got caught out as well with a very polite phone call a few days after I had answered a phone survey. They pursuaded me to hand over bank sort code and account details saying "they cannot do anything with them" although he had already told me he wanted £1 for a "free 1 months trial" -Stupid me!. At the end of the conversation he mentioned £98 yearly fee.
    I then researched them and found all these reviews so contacted my bank's help line. Even the supervisor there said they could do nothing with those details as long as I hadn't given given debit or credit card details BUT check my account regularly.
    Introduction pack arrived today complete with "Confirmation of the set-up of your direct debit Instruction" The £1 will be taken tomorrow and the £98 on 5th Jan. I have cancelled the direct debit on-line and rung Money Club. They say confirmation of cancellation email will be sent. That was 2 hrs ago and not arrived yet.
    I will be watching my bank account vey carefully. Thanks for everybody who has contributed a review and made me check my bank account
  • j1pb
    Options
    Before i start Sorry about the long post! I was called a couple of weeks ago by a lady from the UK's Premier Shopping Service - The Money Club based in datchet, and was caught off guard as i was at work and very busy, however as she seemed polite and not like the usual pushy sales people i decided to let her continue, she told me about buying at trade prices and how everything would be around 50% cheaper and as i needed a laptop and some xmas presents for my wife i said i would like to do the four week trial which she explained was only £1 (wasn't sure why it was only a £1 at the time) then as we went on further i realised the £1 fee was there to set up the direct debit! which i never usally give out my bank details over the phone to someone that called me but she talked me round explaining i was protected by the bank guarantee and the payment wouldnt be made until after i received the pack, so i reluctantly gave her my sort code and account number, then i was hit with the £98 yearly fee! wasnt very happy about that but decided to get the pack before cancelling. Waited a couple of days for the pack to arrive, checked with bank and the DD hadnt been collected yet as the lady did say. So i went online to get the quote for my laptop and came across this thread! i must say i was very nervous that the £98 was going to be taken straight away and that they wouldnt be able to save me any money anyway, so was gonna cancel DD straight away but decided to get my quote for my laptop first and surprisingly they saved £174 on the exact laptop that i wanted that i saw in pc world, so i oredered the laptop and some other items that i saved over £100 on so i was very happy with that!:j It had been 2 weeks from the start of my trial and the only money taken from my account was £1, however i didnt really want to continue for the year as i didnt really need anything else, so i called the headoffice and spoke to someone explaining that i wanted to cancel, and a couple of days later i received an e-mail confirming i had cancelled.
    So overall my experience wih the money club was well worth it, my advice would be if you really do want to save some money, do your four week trial it is only a £1 but if you dont want to continue for the year make sure you cancel a few days before the end of the trial to save the £98 form being collected!:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport