The Money Club????

Options

Comments

• lizardadi
    lizardadi Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I'm off to Watchdog now, to see what they think. Maybe Anne Robinson can Do the "Hard stare" thing on them. Here's hoping.
  • Degsy1967
    Options
    Tried this for a year what a swindle. They "guarantee" savings but for me didn't deliver. They claim to find wholesale prices but for me just found retail - Apart from a camera they didn't find any prices cheaper than I'd found myself with a google search. They allegedly say if they can't find a better price they'll give you £25. The camera price they found for me was £5 or so cheaper than I'd found - but it was out of stock so wasn't available anyway.

I didn't cancel the free trial in time so got collared for £98 annual fee. They then took the second year's fee THREE MONTHS Early and closed my account when I asked for the money back. My year runs out inn 2 weeks and they owe me cash back. They claim to send a cheque automatically monthly when it reaches £25. Mine reached £25 over TWO MONTHS ago - I'm phoning again today to threaten legal action

Don't touch with a barge pole they are a waste of money
  • koolkitten
    koolkitten Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has posted about the Money Club. I got a call this morning offering me the £1 for a month deal then £98 a year subscription if I stayed. I thought it sounded too good to be true with the deals she was quoting to me, so put her off until Friday until I could do some research. MSE was of course the first place I came and you've all come up trumps again - thank you! I will be sure to tell her on Friday Im not interested. I'm anticipating a frosty reception followed by heavy pressure sales techniques!

As an aside, she said I'd requested more information online, which I hadn't. Last week, EON rang me saying I'd entered a competition on the O2 website (I hadn't) and part of the t's and c's of the entry was to have a quote from them. I've also been getting lots of spam email and the only thing I can track it all back to was getting a quote for insurance from AXA on their website! Realise this is off topic, but thought it might ring a few bells with other people receiving MC calls
  • musky10
    Options
    I was called tonight by Alex from Birmingham on behalf of the wonderful money Club which he said would save me lots of money. He wanted me to pay £1 for a 4 week trial even though I said I had no purchases planned imminently. He then said I could cancel after 4 weeks or set up Direct Debit but failed to tell me the cost. I got suspicious when he wanted to know my occupation and email address, then asked for my sort code and bank account details. I said I could not find these and asked for a number to call him back on, he gave me his manager Keith's number 0121 2444129. My partner directed me straight on here to check things out and can I say thanks to everyone for the posts, I won't be buying into this scam.
  • FarmerFred
    Options
    I had the same kind of call and I said the same kind of thing as musky10. I was suspicious when they asked for my bank account detail and initially refuse to give any. They said if I used a cheque my bank account details would be on there so my account details are already out in the public domain. I was still not sure, and they reassured me that if I wanted to cancel my direct debit I could do so at any time. This all happened on 26 July. They were unable to help when I enquired about purchasing a cement mixer, so on 21 August I rang them and cancelled my £1 membership. This seemed too easy to do, so I checked my bank account. They had taken £98 on 20 August. I immediately rang the bank and explained the situtation. I then rang The Money Club and asked them for a refund as their letter said they would take £98 on the 29th day after the start of the 4 week trial period and that we hadn't reached the 29th day yet. The lady on the phone was very rude and said there was no way they would send me a refund. Yesterday I received a letter from them saying exactly the same but they would allow me to remain a member of there club for one year! The bank has fortunately returned the £98 to me so I am happy, but I warn everyone, if you can use the internet this club will save you nothing... but give you alot of hassle. Don't touch them!!
  • ummati
    ummati Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    i have to agree with alot of you here, wish i'd read it before i joined them.
    have re-written to them for a refund, what should i do if i don't get it? do i just contact my bank and tell them?
    (i cancelled before the trial was suppose to finish and they still charged me).
  • FarmerFred
    Options
    Yes ring your bank asap, explain everything. The fact that you have never signed anything, you requested cancellation within the trial period and that The Money Club explained you would be covered by the direct debit guarantee, so if they took money from your account without authorisation they would have to give you a refund by law. The bank initially told me they would "try" to get a refund for me but when I explained everything as above they soon changed their mind and within two days the money was safely back in my account and the direct debit instruction with The Money Club was cancelled. Good luck!
  • ummati
    ummati Posts: 301 Forumite
    Options
    My bank said they can't do much, they can only put the case forward to the RUBBISH club!!!

I'm really worried now because the manager (Helen Morris) said that because i joined on the 23rd of June, the 21st of July is out of the 28 days, but when i cancelled, in the email they sent it said

Your membership begins 24 hours after acceptance to the Club and can be cancelled by contacting us at any time during the 28 day trial period

Also, the welcome letter they sent me saying that i'd joined the club was also dated 24th.
    The direct debit agreement was that the money would be taken out on the 23rd July and they took it out on the 20th July (way before it was due).
    When i kept contacting them one of the Operations Assistant said that the direct debit failed and so they didn't owe me anything. Clearly, the money had been taken out and not given back. So, after contacting them again they said that they can't give me my money because i didn't cancel the trial quick enough.

This company is making me mad, teaches me to say no to all those irritating sales calls from now!!!

• Arcticus121
    Options
    Sooo glad I checked this lot out before 'signing up'. Just had a call from The Money Club and given the amount of negative posts here, I dont think I'll be giving them my bank details. I'm always careful when someone asks for my bank details when I didnt contact them.
  • Arcticus121
    Options
    Did you by chance get a 'marketing survey' call a few days previously. I did and (foolishly) answered 'yes' to one of the questions, which was; Would you like to save 50% on your shopping? Surprise surprise I get a call from The Money Club offering to save me 50% on my shopping. Interesting comment about ASDA too, recently started using them too but not aware of giving them any contact info. Needless to say I wont take them up on their offer! Thankfully sites like MM exist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure