🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

EDF Customer services

Options

Comments

• PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's oddly reassuring to know that it isn't just my experience, PhylPho. I did wonder whether it was just extreme coincidence that maintenance days occurred so often at the times when I wanted to contact EDF. Even today, with everything supposedly restored, it was a struggle negotiating the obstacle course that is the automated telephony system. . .

. . . May I ask who you went to, PhylPho? Is your customer service experience better?

Oh Gawd, repeat3Times: you're going to think this is a scam but I promise you, it isn't -- honest!

We abandoned EDF for ScottishPower because its standard tariff was cheaper and it was offering something called Online Energy Saver 10 at a guaranteed 2% discount off the standard rate until the end of October 2011. So OK, 2% isn't a King's Ransom, but it represents around £28 a year to us, so better to have than wasted.

Also, as noted in my comment on this thread, we too were thoroughly fed up with the way EDF's customer service had declined so seriously during our time with it. We hoped ScottishPower would turn out to be better. . .

The transfer went through without a hitch and ScottishPower began supplying our gas & electricity from the beginning of September 2010.

Today we've received our first bill, and it says we're on ScottishPower's 'standard' tariff. I always get baffled about the ever-changing terminology of energy suppliers' "products" (yeeach, awful word) so I thought I'd come here to MSE to ask for advice from other MSErs as to whether or not the word 'standard' was interchangeable with 'online saver'.

Hmmm. This next bit is what may well look like a conspiracy, but I assure you it ain't. *Before* I posted my query on this sub-forum, I saw this thread about EDF and thought I'd chuck in my tuppenorth. After doing so, I started a thread of my own, asking for advice re ScottishPower products.

I posted at 12.03pm. At 12.44pm an MSEr arrived to help out. And at 3.12pm, so did another. . . the ScottishPower representative on MSE.

Good Gawd. I never knew there was one.

So, er, in answer to your original question. . . ScottishPower answered a query I'd never actually raised with it, and did so within less time than in the not-too recent past I'd probably have spent messing around with EDF online and EDF by phone.

Yes, it looks like a glitch has occurred in my billing, but well, no-one's infallible. It's how someone or some enterprise sorts things out that's important. In which case, ScottishPower has done just fine in my book.

Apologies again for this looking like a deliberate 'plug' (non-electrical) for ScottishPower, but that's been my experience of the company today. :)
  • oxters
    oxters Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you go on EDF's website and look at the tarrifs after a short while a box appears on screen and you can chat to a customer advisor on line. Really good efficient service - honestly - used it twice and got my questions answered.
  • billy_1
    billy_1 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Finally, i just had a short email from EDF !! after promising me a callback 2 weeks ago, after i spent ages trying to get through to them and several emails, have told me my dual fuel move from Scot power is only my electric and they cant move my gas as yet and i am free to contact scot power if i wish to stay with them ????? Wish i hadnt bothered ???? too right xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:money:
  • Repeat3Times
    Options
    oxters wrote: »
    If you go on EDF's website and look at the tarrifs after a short while a box appears on screen and you can chat to a customer advisor on line. Really good efficient service - honestly - used it twice and got my questions answered.

Oxters: I was sure I'd imagined seeing that on my travels! I'll be having another look and using this in future.
    ellie3009 wrote: »
    I am on hold to them right now.
    53 minutes so far. Starting to wonder what happens when their lines close at 8pm. If I get cut off after 1hr 20 mins on hold I am going to be seriously angry.

I hope you got through Ellie. Not quite the 80 minute-and-counting wait that you endured, but on one occasion, mid-conversation with an adviser, the call was indeed cut off at 8pm. Worse, despite having taken details of account changes from me, nobody at EDF thought to call me back, not out of courtesy, nor to confirm that the changes would be implemented. I had to go through the whole episode with a different adviser the following day. Just sloppy.
    billy_1 wrote: »
    Finally, i just had a short email from EDF !! after promising me a callback 2 weeks ago...

Been there too, Billy. I don't remember them ever meeting their 5 day response promise after any e-mail I've sent to them.
    PhylPho wrote: »
    Apologies again for this looking like a deliberate 'plug' (non-electrical) for ScottishPower, but that's been my experience of the company today.

It's only good to know that at least one power company is practising some good customer care, PhylPho. I have experience of one company responding to a query I posted here before, and having representatives watching the boards here must be helpful for them and us.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Online Saver v7 electricity switch went through yesterday, this morning I attempted to log into My Account (which has been fine up until now) and got the following message:

You have been successfully logged in. You will now have access to restricted resources on this site depending on your permissions.
    Remember to logout when you are finished.

Which would be fine, except for the fact that there is no way of then proceeding beyond this screen. I've tried logging in with 3 different browsers, so it's not a browser issue. Has anyone else had this problem?

No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • jack_spratt_2
    Options
    Same message today macman . The change over has all been completed now with EDF
  • macman
    Options
    Same message today macman . The change over has all been completed now with EDF

So how do you log in from this screen then?
    I just tried it again and same dead-end message.
    Is this to do with the fact that the account is now on supply, or part of some overall glitch with their new system?
  • p1nkk1tten
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    So how do you log in from this screen then?
    I just tried it again and same dead-end message.
    Is this to do with the fact that the account is now on supply, or part of some overall glitch with their new system?

I'm getting the same message but if you go to the web address bar at the top of your browser after seeing this message and cut the end of it out up until the last slash (/) then it will let u in =D
    I work for first direct and have previously worked for Santander.
    Any information I give should not been seen as being given from first direct or Santander however I do have certain knowledge from working there.

Thank you, Chrissy :wave:
  • macman
    Options
    Many thanks, that did it-how on earth did you work that out though?
    Next issue: despite having supplied meter readings over a week ago (both online and over the phone) the system still says 'awaiting opening reading' for both gas and electricity, and under the payment details the DD amounts are still set at zero. So not quite there yet.
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    Hasn't this all be an unbelievable saga? I'm a serial switcher and tend to switch 3-4 times per year so have experience of lots of switches and never have I ever experienced such a ridiculous palaver as this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport