January 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Happy New Year all! First time on here for a while, as was so busy pre-Christmas.
    Finished December 34p in the red, so will continue with the same target - please put me down for £50. I have quite a bit in the cupboards etc, so should be OK. And if not, have to remember this is a CHALLENGE, and the world doesn't end if I'm a bit over - I'll still be spending less than in pre-challenge days.

I recently let slip to the one of the kids how little I'm surviving on since I started paying for DH's nursing home care, and the usual family bush telegraph meant they were all horrified! I wouldnt have opened my big mouth if I'd remembered to do the EBBOM routine(Engage Brain Before Opening Mouth)!

But, I cooked a nice meal for DD3 and her family last night, all made from scratch and at little cost, so hope that was reassuring for them! Had a large HM pizza and salad, followed by pineapple upside down pudding with evap milk in my best cream jug to pour over. Made bread dough and used half for the pizza (the rest made a small loaf for me for today), and the topping was half a tin of plum toms with a squeeze of tom puree and chopped up garlic, onion and celery, then slices of S**nsb*ry Basics cheese slices, then slices of tomatoes and green and yellow peppers. The salad was finely chopped savoy cabbage and a little bit of leek, tossed in dressing with cuke, tom and sprouted mung beans. Delicious! And the pudding had a 17p tin of value pineapple in it.

This is pretty typical of how I normally eat, so I'm sure the family don't have to worry that I'm neglecting myself!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625
    First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry im late this month!

£130 please for me this month

BW

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2011 at 4:17PM
    Was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a recipe for rice pudding on here? Do you have to use pudding rice?

here are a few threads that might be useful, including some discussion about which rice to use ;)

Rice Pudding

Rice Pudding in Slow Cooker

Rice Pudding on the hob?

Can you make rice pudding with risotto rice

Question about long grain rice/rice pudding

eta Welcome to all our newbies, MRsMC will be along add you to the front list :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Went to Mr S and Mr T today primarily to get some more washing liquid, mouthwash and toilet rolls on offer. If I didn't go today I would have had to get them from the Metro/Express store in smaller packs at full price in the week.
    Also got some coriander for the curry tonight, tomatoes and cucumber to go with sandwiches this week, pasta sauce and wraps on offer and a £2.50 'good deal' frozen turkey xmas joint (why I bought that I do not know - I did not need that!!) :mad:

All together I spent £6 exactly in Mr T (because I part spent with Clubc*rd points), and £6.74 in Mr S.

Whilst I'm at it, I noticed when I checked the freezer today that I've got goodness knows how many packs of bread in there! One bagel here, 4 pitta breads there, and a few packs of bread with maybe the crusts left, or 5 slices for example, because I bunged them in the freezer when I could see they were going to go mouldy. I remember keeping them so I could make breadcrumbs, but this is something I never get around to doing. I'll take a few out each day to make my lunch sandwiches before buying any new bread! :o
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • Congratulations to Mrs Mc on a fantastic weight loss.

Congratulations to Toodles on your wonderful news. Each baby is a little blessing.

Pipkin71 here is the recipe for banana muffins that I use.

10oz(280g)plain flour**
    1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
    1 tsp (5ml) bicarbonate of soda
    1/2 tsp(2.5ml) salt
    3 large well-ripened bananas (weighing about 1 pound/450g in total)
    will yield 8-10 fl oz/240-290ml when peeled and mashed
    3-4 oz (85-110g) white granulated sugar
    1 egg beaten with a fork
    3 fl oz (90ml) corn oil or 3 oz (85g) butter, melted
    2 fl oz (60ml) milk or water

1. Prepare muffin tins. Preheat oven to 375-400 F (190-200 C)
    2. In a large bowl, sift together (or stir well with a fork) flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
    3. In another bowl, mash bananas thoroughly with a potato masher. Add sugar, beaten egg, oil or melted butter and milk or water. Stir well.
    4. Pour all of the wet ingredients into drey. Stir just until combined, scraping sides and bottom of bowl as you stir. Batter will be lumpy, but no dry flour should be visible.
    5. Fill muffin tins 3/4 full, or to the top for larger muffins. Makes 11-12 standard size muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until topes are lightly browned and spring back when pressed gently.

**If using self raising flour, omit baking powder. Do not omit bicarbonate of soda.

I try to work/mix batter as little as possible as I feel it makes for lighter muffins.

Hope you enjoy them. You can also add chocolate or walnuts during the final mixing strokes if you want a little variety.
    You can freeze bananas and thaw for muffins. May look unappatizing but they are perfect for baking.:)
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • how does this work please?

I'm one of those cooks that just throws the stuff in a bowl. I'm making them tonight and will measure the ingredients out and post the recipe.

The ingredients are Flour, butter, baking powder, salt or sugar if you like it and you bind the mix with the yoghurt. I was watching the Edwardian farm the other day and saw cornish scone things being made with buttermilk and powdered milk. I'm going to be experimenting with different batches to see what works best.
    I will also be making tottie scones (potato scones) got some left over mash.
    My daughters are pressing me for measures, so I will post the recipe for them too.

love this thread!!!
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • boysma
    boysma Posts: 828 Forumite
    Hi again

Declaring a spend of 8.15 today (5.15 home bargains mainly cleaning stuff and 3 quid at iceland). Actually enjoy shopping a bit more now hunting for the bargains.:D Right off to update siggy then DH taking me out for lunch (wetherspoons) as DS2 is off to a museum with his friend.
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14) :j
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Afternoon everyone

Spent £5 in MrM on bits for the kiddies and also got LOTS of Daz Liquid [half price] and [Lenor] half price. I think I now have enough washing liquid and powder to last me till November/December if I eak it out a bit. Washing stuff total not included in my spends as I had savings stamps for them that I bought over a few months last year when I wasn't doing the challenge. If I buy more this year I will include them in my total spend for the relevant month

Happy non spending everyone

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Just spent £2.28 on milk and bread! Kingsmill 50/50 has gone up 25p this week! Must get the breadmaker going again!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • fizzypops
    fizzypops Posts: 248 Forumite
    spent £2.07 on milk and bread today so have updated my sig. :D
    Total debt- 2982.00 Now- £2890.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts